Posts by jackobrian

Updated based on version 0.7 released on 2024-02-02.

- All new strings have been included in pt-br version but not yet translated.

- Strings changed in the original version that had already been translated have been adjusted

it's definitely not it XD you can check the forums and see red's been plenty active. the next update is expected to be at the end of this month, it's just been delayed a few times because it's going to be a REALLY big one- red is trying to fit as much as he can into the game as fast as he can so he can update the store page to the unity version, and more frequent smaller updates was taking too long because of all the tweaking and bugfixing that goes on between each one due to user feedback.

There are new photos on some cards in the development trello... photos from January 29th about desert biome, hell and npc... I think the update are coming finally.

Rising World Development | Trello

Nothing. Steam doing its usual database updates, graphic updates, etc.

You'll know if Rising World had an update when an announcement-banner was visible prior, and up to an update. Red51 still appears to be busy with Rising World so it'll be a long while longer.

*shrugs*

I'm used to space engineers making updates even before the announcement and with the absence of a changelog when it comes to hotfixes, so I thought this update was normal and came to ask here.

It's indeed a bit problematic if more than one keyboard layout is commonly used in a country :thinking: But changing this behaviour would be a breaking change for existing users (because their key bindings on non-QWERTY keyboards won't work anymore), so there would be a bit more work involved to avoid that situation... unfortunately I have no ETA for that change yet :/

I don't think solving this (multiple keyboard layouts) is a priority, but it is indeed an issue to keep on your radar.

At no point did I say it was simple. I'm a programmer too, I worked with Java for a long time and I know little about Unity and C#, enough to know that it's not really a puzzle, no matter how well it's structured, it's still basically a total rewrite of all the components.

However, what I said, and I'll say it again, if the updates were smaller (include fewer changes), then it takes less time to deliver. I understand that smaller updates are less expressive, they have less impact if you think about marketing, but I think that at the moment it wouldn't be a bad solution, it's better to wait 1 month and receive X than to wait 3 months to receive X, Y and Z. At the end of the 3 months, delivery is the same, but because they are more frequent deliveries, existing players have a greater sense that things are moving forward.

About updates where part is old features and part is new features, that's fine, it would only take twice as long to deliver everything that is old since half the time would be for new features. And I honestly can't understand what the controversy is about all this.

Thanks for the video :thumbup: Basically this is related to how Unitys new input system works: key input is always based on default US QWERTY layout. More precisely, keys are identified by physical location, not by the character that is actually printed on screen.
    Handling it this way makes a few things easier, but it's unfortunately confusing when creating translations for the game... but for the German localization, for example, we simply override the translation text for the original QWERTY key (on a QWERTY keyboard, the key next to L is "semicolon", but on a German QWERTZ layout, the key is "Ö"). So the localization key input.keyboard.semicolon is "Semicolon" in English and "Ö" in German (and for the Brasil localization, you could just set it to "Ç").

This may still cause trouble in a few rare cases, e.g. if someone uses a different keyboard layout (for instance, a German user who's using an US keyboard), so maybe we will change that in the future.

Here in Brazil, the most common is ABNT2... but it can vary depending on whether it is a notebook, desktop, or even a MAC OS imported from the USA, for example. Switching to the keys that seem correct here to me can cause problems as they are already technically wrong for me as they are.

I'm afraid there is a misunderstanding :wat: Currently we have no plans to release new updates for the Java version anymore, at least no content updates. The new version and the Java version are basically 2 separate games, so if we implement a particular feature in the new version, we basically have to spend the same amount of time to implement this feature for the Java version. Unfortunately we don't have enough resources to work on 2 games simultaneously...

I understand that Rising World is migrating Java to Unity, and knowing this, I already imagined that there would be no new updates to the Java version.

What I meant is that while the migration of what already exists in Java to Unity (C#) takes place, each update in the Unity version could be smaller (which would help to deliver in less time instead of taking 3 months), and each update could be composed of old and new items.