Feedback from a month's Rising World gaming

• I suppose I'm the only one who would like construction to be a little more realistic in regards to material sizes and crafting them.. cries!

@supershanks Forgetful, short sighted old git? Ya can't be THAT old.. :P

I feel even older after watching my team play Bolton. They always say your as old as you feel. I guess it depends who your feeling :)
    I'm with you I think on the realistic construction. Far more satisfying building on Rising World than building flat packs or DIY.

• don't forget you can set often used blocks as favorites.

Does that include the texture you used?

@supershanks Sorry man, I'm Canadian.. even if I don't follow sports, it's hockey I know more of hehe. I had to google what you said to understand what the hell you meant lol :P Although with my recent nearly 3 years in Mexico, I've at least been exposed to a bunch of football (well for me it's soccer, just because of where I was born.. but it does make more sense to call it football. not to piss off any americans here... :P).

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• in reality I could turn the torch on place it on the ground,

Try the garden torch from the light list. you can plant them down most any where and pick them back up. so like temporary torches without holders.

So do you reckon it's worth laying beams first then removing them when floor is complete.

No I just build joists and the subfloor supports like a real floor, and leave them.

7) I am hoping for a stone brick object and boulder/stone object soon will let you do some interesting things with paths and landscaping, plus building details.
    Yes would be good, although i think the rake gives quite a nice effect and could be used quite well to create what looks like a gravel/dirt path

I was think about a stepping stones path or putting lines of stones along each side of the path. Variety is the spice of life...

@ZaCormyr

I suppose I'm the only one who would like construction to be a little more realistic in regards to material sizes and crafting them.. cries!

Sorry, just too many time I need a custom size for a piece, and without the ability to move pieces after placement, to measure and saw them down. It will just prevent the system from being as flexible. So I think the Devs have struck a good balance of to make it not overly tedious and flexible. Some tweaks, like having a couple of generic sizes, maybe in order to adjust quantity to material cost, (especially since the roof of the small well took 12 stacks of board to get mostly right, or 6 stacks of logs) but in general I think this is the right course.

I forgot that the favorites has been fixed, so yeah that would let you quickly find the same texture again.

• don't forget you can set often used blocks as favourites.

that's great thanks, hadn't noticed the star to set favourites, works a treat. would be great to extend it to cover wood products as well.

supershanks Sorry man, I'm Canadian.. even if I don't follow sports, it's hockey I know more of hehe. I had to google what you said to understand what the hell you meant lol Although with my recent nearly 3 years in Mexico, I've at least been exposed to a bunch of football (well for me it's soccer, just because of where I was born.. but it does make more sense to call it football. not to piss off any americans here... :P).

Sorry :) hadn't realised your on the other side of the pond.

Try the garden torch from the light list. you can plant them down most any where and pick them back up. so like temporary torches without holders.

Yes that's the best idea. Haven't used any lights in gameplay just the [L] key tbh, It was the first time I'd crafted a torch and had been surprised at it dropping into an inventory rather than an equipment slot.

No I just build joists and the subfloor supports like a real floor, and leave them.

Right that confirms what I was starting to think about, certainly that avoids the problems of extending into open space as you described earlier.

I was think about a stepping stones path or putting lines of stones along each side of the path. Variety is the spice of life

Yes sounds good. Be nice to plant trees to form an avenue, keep those saplings ready. ;)

Sorry, just too many time I need a custom size for a piece, and without the ability to move pieces after placement, to measure and saw them down. It will just prevent the system from being as flexible. So I think the Devs have struck a good balance of to make it not overly tedious and flexible. Some tweaks, like having a couple of generic sizes, maybe in order to adjust quantity to material cost, (especially since the roof of the small well took 12 stacks of board to get mostly right, or 6 stacks of logs) but in general I think this is the right course.

Given the system already has the current resize, isn't it just a question of saving the current spec when the resize button's pressed. Keep the sizes as favourite sizes, that can be the selected by the user as required. have an agreed number of size slots , I don't think it would be that many maybe two or three.

• I don't think I explained myself last time proper haha.

After reading all that has been said. Does this sum it up?

1. Current system.. do what you want, within it's limits. Also be able to change the size of something which is already placed. Crafting boards this way means just a generic board the way it is now.
    2. Set dimensions of the grid (in metric or imperial). Not sure how the grid size is determined at the moment, seems odd though.
    3. Be able to go craft boards to a specific size (in metric or imperial) so as you're crafting boards, you type in the dimensions or use sliders.. whatever works. But you can still use the above system to resize before/after placement if you change your mind. This way it's much less of a problem if you craft a stack of 6 foot boards, but need 5 foot. Can still use them.
    4. Have a visual representation of the measurements on the grid and on the boards while you are place them, and when say you select them to resize after placement.
    5. Be able to save sizes and/or textures as favourites. And since there seems to be profiles planned for the game, it would be great if these favourites were saved to the profile so you could start a new game and have the set of board size/texture favourites ready.

Do I have my head up my ass or is this what we're looking for? haha

• Depends on your building style I guess. Yes I think we're together exactly on point 5.
    I'm trying to increase player productivity without changing current system too much.
    From my crafting so far one of the biggest chores is resizing to size A placing those then resizing to size B, going back to standard size then switching to A again etc.,

We can sort it two ways I think.
    1) Add custom sizes to Inventory.
    2) Add custom size as a recipe or favourite.
    I think perhaps my own preference is the second method as you don't fill storage slots with what might grow to be a wide variety of custom sized timber. a custom sized recipe or favourite can just be deleted quickly when finished with.

• Yeah that is why number 1 is leaving the current system as is. And just adding to it as options. Additions which can be toggled on and off.

I would go for your #2 also I suppose.

• Yes your 5) and my 2) are basically the same thing. I think it would add something though to know the real world measurements. User preferences/settings could specify imperial or metric preference.
    Must admit it would be useful, each time I start a new world and get down to building I tend to start with the floor plan, I seem to be laying out progressively bigger plots, would help me keep a sense of proportion if I could the plot dimensions via the grid or some such. ^^

• yeah I just think it would really help to see the numbers. It would simplify building which I think needs to be done if this game will appeal to a larger audience. Hardcore builders might not care at all but I don't want to spend so much time messing around with my structures haha.

• Really enjoying this great game.
    One thing that seems to have untapped potential is the Plaster textures for blocks,
    Why not make them available for use with boards, where they would give a great deal more freedom to give different ways to design building interiors. The thinner walls would go a great contribution towards reducing the need for a reduced block size.
    It would also give the opportunity to have different textures on each side of a wall if you use two board thickness.

• Speaking of blocks options, don't know where the 64 block limit came from but it could be nice if that 64 block numbers would include an amount
    of tonnes in it! Example would be like 100t for 64 blocks witch we could chose as we build them in 3 different sizes of blocks(Small, medium, larges)
    Also having other angle options of blocks would help creating a better looking environment when building roads, highway, or anything else.
    Kind of ugly looking to have a 45Deg angle in a road when the need to do up or down... Can just imagine seeing us going down the road
    with a horse and buggy(Cars, trucks) and flipping head over heals at every step going up that road..

• Plaster... I've wondered about having spreadable concrete and stuff like that. Mix it up and actually have to smooth it out. Plaster could work like this also. So you want plaster, just build with basic boards and plaster over them. Anyways.. probably not doable lol

100T for 64 blocks (a stack). Issue is, different materials weigh different. So you want to add weight to the game? Would be good if we will be carrying stuff in carts etc.. size and weight need to be considered. Plus what you carry... I would love that.

I hear ya on the 45 degree angles. Need a way to smooth the transition from horizontal to the slope and back again. On one block height difference to many... Would be nice for sure! Then world generation could use this to make any slope look so much better. A couple more slope angles would be nice also.. like 22.5 and 65.5 degrees (mid points from 0 to 45 and 45 to 90).

• Really enjoying this great game.
    One thing that seems to have untapped potential is the Plaster textures for blocks,
    Why not make them available for use with boards, where they would give a great deal more freedom to give different ways to design building interiors. The thinner walls would go a great contribution towards reducing the need for a reduced block size.
    It would also give the opportunity to have different textures on each side of a wall if you use two board thickness.

I am really hoping for many more textures for these boards and beams which i believe is part of there plan for the future but in the mean time if you are trying to give a gyprock feel i found that using the second white wood texture works quite well. you still see wood grain but its light enough that if you stand back it looks like gyp.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!