Continual Forward Movement & Using Equipment While Mounted?

• Howdy red51 :)

The latest RW is looking great! Excellent scenery, smooth running - even on my somewhat dated hardware. :D

Two questions on the Unity version (I apologize in advance if they have already been addressed.):

Will it be possible to have a bound key that will lock forward movement, especially when boating from island to island, to allow for doing other things while traveling? My current world in java version is quite extensive and simply boating from here to there takes a long time. I've not timed it, but I can easily cruise my water ways for at least 1/2 hr without retracing my path. Hand cramps are frequent.

The other item is being able to access compass, watch, etc. while mounted on chair, rib, horse, etc. My world is large enough and convoluted enough to easily get lost in. Not wanting to over use the map in game mode, I hop off the rib in the middle of the sea, and while treading water, I check my bearings...:crazy:

Thank you

• Java version, motor boat is a lot faster for water travel. Biomes have size limit of so many squares.

Unity version has no boats, best way so you do not get lost in either version is cutting grass for a path that way you can see it during the day or night.

• Thanks for the reply :)

I used the grass technique to keep track of myself when I first started - till I discovered there was in fact a map. Back then I avoided forums and instructions so I could discover the game features on my own. The 'easiest' way I've found without map or jumping out of the boat to use the compass is the water itself... it always flows from the north. Sun & moon also help. ;) Still, it would make perfect sense to make such equipment as a compass and clock available while traveling.

What I've read here so far is that boats are planned - after all, the land masses are intended to be islands.

So far I've only looked around in the Unity version and put up a tent - but it all looks very good. However, I'm still waiting for the water update before actually getting more into the new version. :(

Thx again.^^

• Thanks a lot for your feedback :)

Will it be possible to have a bound key that will lock forward movement, especially when boating from island to island, to allow for doing other things while traveling? My current world in java version is quite extensive and simply boating from here to there takes a long time. I've not timed it, but I can easily cruise my water ways for at least 1/2 hr without retracing my path. Hand cramps are frequent.

This has been suggested before, and I think it's not a bad idea to have such a feature ^^

The other item is being able to access compass, watch, etc. while mounted on chair, rib, horse, etc. My world is large enough and convoluted enough to easily get lost in. Not wanting to over use the map in game mode, I hop off the rib in the middle of the sea, and while treading water, I check my bearings... :crazy:

For chairs this is actually already implemented - i.e. you can use any item while sitting on a chair ;) When it comes to vehicles or mounts, it's certainly a bit more tricky, but it's on our to-do list.

• Yes! Those were the things I was hoping for. :thumbup:

The java version has already given me much more back in enjoyment than the low purchase price might suggest. It has been a nice safe place to go during all the recent global weirding. My current world map will be 1 year old on the 16th of this month. :)

I look forward to switching over to unity version once the water update arrives. I can already see it will be well worth the wait.

Thanks again for your excellent work... and your ongoing attention to those of us who sometimes need assistance. :D

• SighBorg If you want to have fun in the java version. Mine to the center of world. I have done that few times. I prefer drilling almost nice slope down then trying to map the caves out. Just need a good drill (better than pick axe), food, water, and light source(s). Lava is instant kill. Need blocks for stairs/ramps or bridges. Ladders once you stop in the red rock. At the lava is 50 C temp.

• Howdy @Silverspeedy Yup, I've drilled all the way down, and used arcs to enclose ladders for a smooth & safer climb down. Frequent hatches can prevent lethal falls. I also use the excellent elevator plugin - which makes for quite a long ride down. I keep high temperature clothing to change into, and in my deep residence there are many pools of water to cool off in. Am considering using it as thermal power supply similar to Iceland. :)

We do seem to be off the unity version topic. Maybe the moderator could move this part to the java version discussion? I think that might be @Minotorius :?:

Thx

• Howdy red51 ,

I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but any idea when water will be added? I apologize if this has already been answered. If it has please point me to the post.

BTW, the new version is looking great!

Thank you

• This has been suggested before, and I think it's not a bad idea to have such a feature ^^

I'm happy I'm not the only one who suggested this for walking, for horses, etc. Again, a good place to see examples are Skyrim (For walking with 'V' key), Mount & Blade: warband (For horse), Kingdoms (For horse), and others. I'll list them as I recall them again, if it's a big issue or not. I heard rumours trains shall have auto-throttle so that shall be cool looking forward to that.

Horses should be an absolute must for "auto-throttle', or "continual Forwards", as OP has noted. It saves lives and patience; Mainly patience.

• Again, a good place to see examples are Skyrim (For walking with 'V' key), Mount & Blade: warband (For horse), Kingdoms (For horse), and others. I'll list them as I recall them again, if it's a big issue or not.

Actually the new version has an "AutoRun" feature, but it's not fully ready yet. It needs to be set up manually and unfortuantely the player does not sprint automatically (so he just moves with his regular movement speed). To use the "AutoRun" feature, just open the "config.properties" file in the game directory with a text editor and bind "Input_AutoRun" to the desired key (e.g. "key_v" if you want to bind it to V), then save the file and run the game. If you press V now, the player will start moving automatically.

But as mentioned, this feature definitely needs more fine tuning :D Once it's fully ready, it will be exposed to the ingame settings menu ;)

• Actually the new version has an "AutoRun" feature, but it's not fully ready yet. It needs to be set up manually and unfortuantely the player does not sprint automatically (so he just moves with his regular movement speed). To use the "AutoRun" feature, just open the "config.properties" file in the game directory with a text editor and bind "Input_AutoRun" to the desired key (e.g. "key_v" if you want to bind it to V), then save the file and run the game. If you press V now, the player will start moving automatically.

But as mentioned, this feature definitely needs more fine tuning :D Once it's fully ready, it will be exposed to the ingame settings menu ;)

Excellent.

So, I tried it now gaining nothing so I guess I do have to wait for the next update. I'm glad it's finally being implemented which is finally making me relieved. I'll wait for when it's ready in the main menu, just hope I can be alerted to when it's actually in there. I'm probably going to miss it with everything going on. I've seen 'walk' & 'walk (toggle)' being a bit off relating more to crouch, or whatever it was labeled as. Being half asleep with overcast weather isn't helping my cognitive state, I'm always frustrated about that.

While peaking through the config files I've noticed this

input_vehicle_changeseat=KEY_X

input_vehicle_engine=KEY_I

input_vehicle_geardown=KEY_Q

input_vehicle_gearup=KEY_E

It's interesting to see how many placeholders you have in there. It may be a little funky to control vehicles. I even shared it with a potential modder/modeler, they found it funky. May have to resort to using a controller later, an Xbox controller.

Hi @ArcticuKitsu , :) my main problem is I spend a lot of time going from point A to point B, and after a few hours of that hand cramps are common.

I'm certain that's the case. Anything that adds 'quality of life' additions goes a long way in improving the overall game and your own health. I had to loot a lot in Skyrim, or venture elsewhere to having auto-movement helps a lot. I also still play my 'Azur Lane' game on my mobile devices with vehicles and auto-run allowing me to multi-task during long journeys. Even trains would help this in a more guided manner. Having it in Euro Truck Sim 2 and American Truck with cruise control I can multitask. I always pick the safest straights to ease up.

Yeah, you would have happier hands while also being more relaxed.8)

• While peaking through the config files I've noticed this

input_vehicle_changeseat=KEY_X

input_vehicle_engine=KEY_I

input_vehicle_geardown=KEY_Q

input_vehicle_gearup=KEY_E

Oh, it looks like you're accidentally using the wrong config file - the one from the Java version :saint: Please make sure to open the config.properties file from the "_New version" subfolder :D I know it's a bit confusing currently while both

In the Java version, the vehicle-keys were mainly used for the RIB btw... The vehicle-related keys are also present in the new version, but they're still unused there (because we neither have vehicles nor boats yet).

It may be a little funky to control vehicles. I even shared it with a potential modder/modeler, they found it funky

Can you elaborate on that? :wat: Do you refer to the RIB in the Java version? ^^ Or do you mean the default bindings for vehicles are a bit problematic in general?

• Oh, it looks like you're accidentally using the wrong config file - the one from the Java version :saint: Please make sure to open the config.properties file from the "_New version" subfolder :D I know it's a bit confusing currently while both

Makes sense. I'm just not thinking straight with the usual answer of poor weather and overwork at workplace. I'm honestly trying to make sense of things, even the simple stuff. I've been making so many brainfarts lately.

I'm in the right notepad now, let's see...

Done. Not shown in this image, just how I found it. Found the Autorun which now makes me happy. Inserted 'KEY_V', nothing happened but I'll leave it at that. Your next update takes priority.

In the Java version, the vehicle-keys were mainly used for the RIB btw... The vehicle-related keys are also present in the new version, but they're still unused there (because we neither have vehicles nor boats yet).

Yup. Aware we had the RIB requiring these controls. Curious to see how your new vehicles shall handle and behave, very important on the feel.

Can you elaborate on that? :wat: Do you refer to the RIB in the Java version? ^^ Or do you mean the default bindings for vehicles are a bit problematic in general?

They're simply used to Second Life vehicle controls. Various people have their own "home" games (main games) to which they prefer. It's "problematic" for them, not for us. You get used to it.

What DOES bother me is the different button controls between Xbox and Nintendo Switch controls. I'm always delayed by a few seconds trying to process which is the "confirm", etc. That's just a side-note comment not really relevant here until you keybind default key maps to the game. You don't have to worry about that, but for when you do later (default control set-ups) that is when you shall go crazy with it.

• Done. Not shown in this image, just how I found it. Found the Autorun which now makes me happy. Inserted 'KEY_V', nothing happened but I'll leave it at that. Your next update takes priority.

Actually it has to be key_v (lower-case) in the new version ;) The bindings in the config.properties file are case-sensitive atm... maybe we will change that with the next update ^^

• Actually it has to be key_v (lower-case) in the new version ;) The bindings in the config.properties file are case-sensitive atm... maybe we will change that with the next update ^^

Alright, I see what went wrong now.... it was 'Key_v'. I thought I lowercased it as 'key_v', as you've noted. No wonder I was baffled that day. Such simple errors, thank you work fatigue and general exhaustion.

It helps, I however wish we could run also (stamina willing) to places. Now that this is possible horses should auto-walk (at various speeds), and vehicles should do this naturally on cruise control. Trains more so than any other vehicle. But yeah, thanks. It works, and I'm happy. QoL part shall be fun to tweak.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!