Suggestion

• Would it be possible to between the crafting and inventory screens using the relevant key rather than having to click the 'tab' at the side of the screen? For example I have 'i' set to open inventory from world view but can't use it while the crafting window is visible.

• Would it be possible to between the crafting and inventory screens using the relevant key rather than having to click the 'tab' at the side of the screen? For example I have 'i' set to open inventory from world view but can't use it while the crafting window is visible.

My inventory opens with "E" and my crafting menu with "V". I changed the original settings into my personal favorite keys. You can change the settings under controls.

I also removed the side fold-out tabs.

• My inventory opens with "E" and my crafting menu with "V". I changed the original settings into my personal favorite keys. You can change the settings under controls.

I also removed the side fold-out tabs.

Yes but when you're in the crafting menu you can't press 'E' to go directly to inventory... can you?

• Currently it's indeed not possible to switch from inventory to crafting (or vice-versa) by using the hotkeys while either the inventory or crafting screen is visible, so it's necessary to press ESC first (to close the window), then use the hotkey to switch to the inventory/crafting menu, as mentioned by Avanar

However, I guess it's not a bad idea if the inventory/crafting hotkeys also work while the according menus are visible (so pressing the inventory key while you're in crafting menu would switch to the inventory, and pressing the crafting key while you're in inventory would bring up the crafting menu). We will change that with the next update :)

• Currently it's indeed not possible to switch from inventory to crafting (or vice-versa) by using the hotkeys while either the inventory or crafting screen is visible, so it's necessary to press ESC first (to close the window), then use the hotkey to switch to the inventory/crafting menu, as mentioned by Avanar

However, I guess it's not a bad idea if the inventory/crafting hotkeys also work while the according menus are visible (so pressing the inventory key while you're in crafting menu would switch to the inventory, and pressing the crafting key while you're in inventory would bring up the crafting menu). We will change that with the next update :)

Excellent! For a game that is pretty heavy on keyboard use it seems to make sense especially when crafted items will often need to be transferred immediately to the hotbar, it's just one less step.

• Excellent! For a game that is pretty heavy on keyboard use it seems to make sense especially when crafted items will often need to be transferred immediately to the hotbar, it's just one less step.

if there is an empty space in the hotbar a crafted item will automatically be dropped in the hotbar. in crafting you double click the item you like (+the shape in case of building elements) and then its in your inventory. afaik there is no drag&drop. so even if you can open the inventory while in crafting menu you still can´t place a crafted item where you like and still have to go to the inventory to do that.

• if there is an empty space in the hotbar a crafted item will automatically be dropped in the hotbar. in crafting you double click the item you like (+the shape in case of building elements) and then its in your inventory. afaik there is no drag&drop. so even if you can open the inventory while in crafting menu you still can´t place a crafted item where you like and still have to go to the inventory to do that.

Yeah I know but getting to the inventory via a single keypress has to be better than going the long way round ie close crafting window->open inventory. I imagine most people will regularly want to craft at least two different building items at once, eg a cube and some associated shape in the same material. With the limited number of hotbar slots and the different tools regularly required, I imagine most people won't have space on the hotbar so the items will go to inventory. If you habitually empty enough hotbar slots before you start crafting I guess it doesn't matter.

red51 Personally I think it would be better if the crafting and inventory windows were amalgamated in some way - it would save you having to remember how many more of an item (or items) you might need to craft and you could see the result of your crafting immediately. Also, you could see if you have enough free slots in inventory to craft different items and the whole thing would be reduced to a single keypress. But I can see that would involve quite a bit of work :D

• red51 Personally I think it would be better if the crafting and inventory windows were amalgamated in some way - it would save you having to remember how many more of an item (or items) you might need to craft and you could see the result of your crafting immediately. Also, you could see if you have enough free slots in inventory to craft different items and the whole thing would be reduced to a single keypress. But I can see that would involve quite a bit of work :D

The problem is that there is not enough space on screen if we merge the inventory and crafting menu :| We could add a "quick crafting" option to the inventory though - similar to how it works in Rust, for example, where you can craft common or recently crafted items directly from the inventory. But probably we'd wait until the new version is a bit more fleshed out before we focus on that part :D

• The problem is that there is not enough space on screen if we merge the inventory and crafting menu...

Honestly, I can see lots of places you could save screen 'real estate' in the crafting and inventory windows which would probably allow them to be combined . The advantage of having them unified is that the user can immediately see how many of an item they have and therefore how many more they might need to craft without having to switch screens and also how many of a particular resource they need versus what they already have. If it's too big a task in view of everything else you've got going on then I would forget it but I'm pretty sure it would improve usability (and potentially make development a bit easier having only one window to deal with instead of two). I can post screenshots if you think it worthwhile pursuing?

• Unfortunately I really have a hard time imagining how both could be properly combined... especially the crafting menu requires a lot of space: The center grid view (where you select the individual items) could be a bit smaller, but that would make it a bit harder to navigate through all recipes (especially when it comes to building materials). And while it looks like there is enough free space on the right side of the crafting menu (below the preview image), we still need this space for recipes which have long descriptions (which appears right below the preview image) or lots of required ingredients...

There isn't even much space that could be saved in the inventory... at first glance the black player shadow on the left seems the be useless, but it will be replaced with an actual player preview in the future - that will be required to change the player clothes, similar to how it worked in the Java version.

One last thing that could be done to save space would be to reduce the size of the inventory and crafting slots... but I don't think that would be a good idea, considering some items are already a bit hard to distinguish.

Currently the inventory is also used to display storages (when accessing a chest). If the inventory and crafting menu would be merged, we also need to find a way to integrate storages on that screen.

Even if the inventory and crafting menu could be properly merged, I guess that may result in a very bloated screen, which could be a bit overwhelming for new players :wat:

• Fair enough but I can still see places where things could be rearranged, consolidated and resized to gain space :D

You could simply switch the crafting area to show chest inventory when looking into a chest. Anyhow it would be a lot more work so probably not worth the effort :D

I have spotted a few very minor things that you might (or might not) want to look at but there may be reasons they are like they are:

Inventory screen;

The 'Equipment' and bottom row of inventory slots are out of alignment vertically (I said they were very minor!)

Could use same text for 'Inventory' and 'Equipment' as 'Crafting in the crafting window

Crafting window;

'Build' in left column seems the wrong word (I first expected it to switch to build mode!), maybe 'Building', 'Materials' or 'Building materials' if that would fit!

The 'Craft Object' button could be labelled 'Craft' as often you're crafting multiple objects and would save having to dynamically swap button label Craft object/Craft objects

Should miscellaneous and general be consolidated? There's no clue what either contains without looking.

• The 'Equipment' and bottom row of inventory slots are out of alignment vertically (I said they were very minor!)

Oh, thanks for bringing this to our attention! :wat: We'll fix that with the next update!

Could use same text for 'Inventory' and 'Equipment' as 'Crafting in the crafting window

Good point, we'll also change that with the next update ;)

'Build' in left column seems the wrong word (I first expected it to switch to build mode!), maybe 'Building', 'Materials' or 'Building materials' if that would fit!

Maybe it's indeed better to use "Building" then. "Materials" could still be a bit misleading at first, and "Building materials" is a bit too long :monocle:

Should miscellaneous and general be consolidated? There's no clue what either contains without looking.

Well, I guess it's better to keep separate categories. "General" is mainly meant to contain basic crafting resources and basic survival-related objects (campfire etc). It's also the first category that shows up for a new player, so it's probably good to show the most basic recipes there.

"Miscellaneous", however, it meant to contain things that don't really fit into another category, like the soccerball (and goal). Fireworks will probably also go into that category (once they're implemented) ^^

• Here are some more little things I spotted in the crafting window, mostly grammatical/English usage stuff:

• Chests and other storage: Description should be 'Can be used to store items' or 'You can store items in it'
    • 'Seatings' category should be 'Seating' ('Lights' could be 'Lighting' to match but either is ok)
    • The torch's description says it can be placed on a wall but I can't seem to do that?
    • 'Flood light' should be 'Floodlight'
    • In 'Cabinets', 'Wooden shelf' is really a 'Cupboard'
    • Should 'Toro lantern be in the 'Lights' category?

Edit: some more...

• Bandage and medkit should be 'Can be used to stop bleeding'
    • Drying rack: 'Used to preserve raw meat and make it edible'
    • Scythe (both types) 'Useful to clear large areas of grass'
    • Paint roller: 'Used to paint surfaces. Works a lot faster than a paintbrush'
    • The steel tools all have 'robust' in the description which implies they're less likely to break. If tool degradation isn't planned maybe this should be removed and the tools simply described as more efficient?
    • Primitive spear - remove 'both' or 'also' from description
    • Are the knives required for tanning? If so 'useful' needs to be changed to 'required'
    • Rifle description mentions musket but that's not in the list... maybe it's coming?
    • Bottle: 'A simple glass bottle'
    • Does a splint speed up healing (sorry I don't know the mechanics of that)? If so description needs a rewrite
  • Thanks for letting us know about these things, much appreciated! :) We'll fix that with the next update!

The torch's description says it can be placed on a wall but I can't seem to do that?

Being able to place torches on walls is indeed planned, but we're still unsure about whether torches should be always placeable, or if the player has to place "torch mounts" first (similar to how it worked in the Java version) :thinking: This is the reason why torches cannot be placed on walls yet.

Should 'Toro lantern be in the 'Lights' category?

Good question... of course it would also fit to the "Lights" category. We put it in the "Decoration" category because the lantern does not emit any light, so it is used for decorational purposes only.

The steel tools all have 'robust' in the description which implies they're less likely to break. If tool degradation isn't planned maybe this should be removed and the tools simply described as more efficient?

Yes, tool degradation is indeed planned (although it will be an optional feature), and the steel tools will be much more durable ;)

Rifle description mentions musket but that's not in the list... maybe it's coming?

Yes, we will add a musket (as well as other firearms) in the near future ^^

We just took the rifle description from the Java version (where a musket was already available)

Does a splint speed up healing (sorry I don't know the mechanics of that)? If so description needs a rewrite

The splint can only be used if you have a bone fracture. A broken bone slows down your movement (and you can't jump with a broken bone), but you can cure it by using a splint (it also restores a small amount of health). More precisely, it doesn't instantly heal your bone fracture, instead it restores your mobility (so jumping and faster movement are possible again), but it has some limitations, because you easily tend to break your bone again if you're not careful enough. After a given amount of time, your bone fracture is fully cured.

• Being able to place torches on walls is indeed planned, but we're still unsure about whether torches should be always placeable, or if the player has to place "torch mounts" first (similar to how it worked in the Java version) :thinking: This is the reason why torches cannot be placed on walls yet.

"Torch mounts" was a very cool feature that added more details into the game and made possible to grab torch from the wall when you need it. For me it is one of the small enhancements that greatly highlights Rising World from other survival games, it will be a shame if it will be changed to "minecraft-like" torch placing

• Being able to place torches on walls is indeed planned, but we're still unsure about whether torches should be always placeable, or if the player has to place "torch mounts" first (similar to how it worked in the Java version) :thinking: This is the reason why torches cannot be placed on walls yet.

The splint can only be used if you have a bone fracture. A broken bone slows down your movement (and you can't jump with a broken bone), but you can cure it by using a splint (it also restores a small amount of health). More precisely, it doesn't instantly heal your bone fracture, instead it restores your mobility (so jumping and faster movement are possible again), but it has some limitations, because you easily tend to break your bone again if you're not careful enough. After a given amount of time, your bone fracture is fully cured.

Re torches: as paulevs says, having a mount is was a nice detail however, personally I found it tedious in the Java version to have to carry two different items and often I'd place a mount in the dark while mining and couldn't find it again to stick the torch in! Maybe we could have minecraft like torches but where the model has a built in mount?

Re the splint: I know all of that :D but will the fracture heal (even if slowly) without a split?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!