World Seed

• IIRC there was unfortunately a bug in the first world update which caused servers to not generate a random seed during creation if the seed setting was empty :/ The game then falls back to a default seed.

• When I built my Unity server, I intentionally used a known phrase for my seed name, so I could easily replicate the world on a test server.

However, re-using the same seed name does not yield the same world. :( I believe it just used some random seed instead of name listed but did not DB record what seedID it used.

My DB seed entry is also empty.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Hmm, that's not a problem, but what is the default seed so I can replicate it on a test server? :D

The default seed is 1 ^^

However, re-using the same seed name does not yield the same world. :( I believe it just used some random seed instead of name listed but did not DB record what seedID it used.

Oh, that's weird :wat: Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on my end :thinking: Adding a seed to World_Seed in the server.properties file should be stored in the database (but only when a new world is created of course). The same seed should also always result in the same world (only exception: npc spawns don't rely on the seed, so when reusing a seed, you will get the same world, but different animals will spawn).

However, apparently there is an issue with the server.properties file if the entry contains a = - the game can't read that line then and resets that property to the default value (so if you seed contains a =, for example, it won't work unfortunately) :/

• Oh, that's weird :wat: Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce the issue on my end :thinking: Adding a seed to World_Seed in the server.properties file should be stored in the database (but only when a new world is created of course). The same seed should also always result in the same world (only exception: npc spawns don't rely on the seed, so when reusing a seed, you will get the same world, but different animals will spawn).

However, apparently there is an issue with the server.properties file if the entry contains a = - the game can't read that line then and resets that property to the default value (so if you seed contains a =, for example, it won't work unfortunately) :/

The seed phrase I used was in the very beginning before the 2nd world gen update. It remains in server.properties and does not contain any special characters. I believe seeds were not working after the world gen update, so it generated a random seed (I'm guessing). Re using this same phrase in a single player game will reproduce the seed every time, but does not match the world that was originally spawned.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• The initial world update indeed had a bug which caused the server to ignore the seed, but IIRC that was fixed with the first hotfix back then :thinking: But if the world was created before the fix, that seed will not be used (instead the server probably uses the default seed, which is 1). The server will not overwrite that setting in the server.properties btw (because the seed there will be used now if you create a new world, for example) - more precisely, that setting doesn't represent the currently used seed, instead it is the seed that will be used when creating a new world^^

The actual seed is stored in the Meta.db, but when starting the server, the server also prints the "World infos" to the log (which contain the currently used seed) :)

I couldn't reproduce any issues related to the seed unfortunaately... a seed entered for the dedicated server will produce the same world in singleplayer and vice-versa. But this only applies to newly created worlds (or worlds which were created after the fix mentioned above) ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!