Make 2 melons actually 2 ^^

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)
  • If you wanted to rationalize the size and number of blocks in your inventory then you only could carry like 1 maybe to blocks at a time. There is a point where you have to draw a line in between realism and functionality. This is one of those times.

• First off, the way I see creative is this: no need for chests.. you have access to each item in the game via a totally different inventory system then in survival. Just a list of the items available and the slots where you equip them to build with or place in the world. There would be no need for stacks of stuff.. just equip what you want to build with etc and use it to your hearts content. Why go and mine, or cut trees in creative? Why store stuff in chests at all? I think some may be keeping the current way of doing things in their mind too much, currently creative and survival are together in one mode. It won't be like that. Placing a chest in creative would just be a cosmetic thing, like everything else.

For survival. Again, I am not saying it needs to be totally realistic. Like only holding one board at a time since that is all your hands can carry and a board won't fit in the backpack (although I would be willing to do that). That is why I would go by weight for what you can carry on your person. If a board is 10 pounds then maybe you could carry 8 at a time or something like that. The crate example I used was just an item you could craft in order to carry a pile of small items like apples more easily, so the crate of apples would be picked up and go into your inventory. I suppose I did not explain myself clearly.

The point in survival is not to just build. Building is part of it yes, but building in survival should be about survival. After much time, finally completing a modern house should be quite the accomplishment and there would be a purpose to it, not just oh I built a big house... It should take maybe months of real time to get to that point (the "end game" stuff) from the start, at least weeks! We should not be able to build a house in a day in survival. That is crazy IMO. We should spend an in game week or so living out of the most primitive tent or lean-to with a campfire and some basic wood and stone tools. And you work your way up from there to the next type of shelter. I mean really, if we can build a house quick then what is the point of survival? Just make the game one big creative mode but with multiplayer.

I honestly can't wait until the two modes are separate! lol This argument is just silly IMO...

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• I agree with you.. this conversation is kinda silly, oh and I don't like playing in creative I prefer to play in survival. So far I haven't even taken a look at creative mode so I know nothing but survival mode.

Have you thought about how much harder things are going to get when they add in hostile mobs?

I wouldn't mind playing an ultra realistic game if it was just you and the wilderness, but am worried that when the hostile mobs come its going to be a race to build a shelter until you can afford to create the weapons to defend our selves.

With that said I don't mind if they tighten things up a little bit to make it more realistic I just don't see it going that far.

It would be cool to have a weight limit that would go up and down with your huger or something. I could see that in the game.

So far your Idea sounds like it would be fun for a hard core mode or something any Ideas on that?

• It's really a complicated topic... About the initial discussion concerning melons: It was intended that you cannot stack watermelons (only melonslices). The reason behind this is quite simple: When using the secondary mouse button, you cut the melon into slices, which simply exchanges the item in your active slot (the watermelon) by 8 slices. When watermelons would be stackable, this mechanism would not work.
    Apart from that, we don't want to have too high stackcounts for food, just to avoid that you are able to carry enough food for the next years ;) On the contrary, when it comes to blocks or resources, it would hurt too much when you can't stack them or when you can only carry small stacks.
    Realism is anyway complicated, since the whole inventory thing would only make sense for very small items (compass, eventually bacon etc.). Bigger items don't fit into my pocket (even 1 single block would be too large), and I would also run into massive problems when I have to carry things like pianos or furnaces at all...

Maybe the restriction of stacksizes would make sense for the stranded mode, which could be considered as a "hardcore survival" (maybe a "hardcore" option would also be useful for the regular survival), which is intended to focus on survival instead of building (or in other words: you only build to survive).

• I am currently playing Wurm Online.

Is there a Sandbox game you are not playing? lel.

Imagine how many apples you could put in there.

Yeah, I also think that this would be a great idea.

Let me ask this. What is the point of building rails and mine carts for mining if we can just carry stacks and stacks of ore back to base? Nobody will bother with rails..

Good point :thumbup:

• Apart from that, we don't want to have too high stackcounts for food, just to avoid that you are able to carry enough food for the next years

I know it is meant ironic, but you still need quite a lot of food. And even if someone has a whole backpack of food, this also has a downside, namely that you can not carry other stuff. And since nobody just wants to survive and look for food all the time, I think that it does not feel like you can carry to much to eat.

For the hardcore mode: Might actually be 'too' hardcore ^^, but how about no inventory at all, or, as you said, just for very small items? I don't want to annoy you with mentioning another game, but in Stranded Deep you can drag all items around the islands. So maybe, for the hardcore mode, you would have to always do this (and later there could be some kind of crates or carts that you would need to carry more stuff)?

• It's really a complicated topic... About the initial discussion concerning melons: It was intended that you cannot stack watermelons (only melonslices). The reason behind this is quite simple: When using the secondary mouse button, you cut the melon into slices, which simply exchanges the item in your active slot (the watermelon) by 8 slices. When watermelons would be stackable, this mechanism would not work.
    Apart from that, we don't want to have too high stackcounts for food, just to avoid that you are able to carry enough food for the next years ;) On the contrary, when it comes to blocks or resources, it would hurt too much when you can't stack them or when you can only carry small stacks.
    Realism is anyway complicated, since the whole inventory thing would only make sense for very small items (compass, eventually bacon etc.). Bigger items don't fit into my pocket (even 1 single block would be too large), and I would also run into massive problems when I have to carry things like pianos or furnaces at all...

Maybe the restriction of stacksizes would make sense for the stranded mode, which could be considered as a "hardcore survival" (maybe a "hardcore" option would also be useful for the regular survival), which is intended to focus on survival instead of building (or in other words: you only build to survive).

I like the idea of food and water taking up a lot of room because it encourages you to go home to get more food. so your not siting In one area for a long time like you said. Am also happy that you see that cutting down our block stack size would be harmful. Over all am just happy that I don't have to worry about being stuck building a little house for three months while I try and defend my self from what ever wants to eat me.

Thanks Red, For the input it helped a lot :)

• Is there a Sandbox game you are not playing? lel.

Many! I am keeping track of more then I am playing. Currently I don't play much Rising World or TUG or Stranded Deep, waiting for updates etc... I've been in Wurm.

Have you thought about how much harder things are going to get when they add in hostile mobs?

Yeah but currently there are too many animals. Just too many. There shouldn't be like 10+ animals in each valley. So I imagine there won't be that many predators roaming around. Maybe 1 per valley or something like that. Monsters will only spawn in dungeons and temples, not roaming around on the surface. At least the vast majority of people here want no monsters roaming around on the surface, so I assume this won't happen. It should be difficult and dangerous in survival mode. But balanced of course.

@red51 Thanks for commenting on this topic(s). So from what you are saying, carrying food will be limited. But building blocks will stack to 64 like now? For normal survival mode I mean. It would be great if some mode was like I described. Stranded mode and hardcore survival mode being like this would be great! Just please have things like the carts etc.. to carry the larger stuff for these modes. By hand and by horse or donkey etc.. I would seriously be happy to build a log cabin by cutting trees and loading them onto a cart which needs to be pulled back to the build site. All with physics. Same for a modern house while using a vehicle with a trailer. It would be awesome! :D

I like the idea of food and water taking up a lot of room because it encourages you to go home to get more food.

What about gathering food while you explore? Having to run back home to get food will kill exploring. I hope we can pack an axe, a knife, some bandages or something like that, a means to start a fire, a little food, and a water skin and go on a hike for a couple days, surviving more on what is found out in the world.

I understand not wanting to work on a house for three months. I was trying to make a point. Being able to have 5 stacks of stone in your inventory isn't survival. It's building. Anyways. I will be totally happy if there is a hardcore survival mode. Please do this red. :)

• Monsters will only spawn in dungeons and temples, not roaming around on the surface. At least the vast majority of people here want no monsters roaming around on the surface, so I assume this won't happen. It should be difficult and dangerous in survival mode. But balanced of course.

@red51 Thanks for commenting on this topic(s). So from what you are saying, carrying food will be limited. But building blocks will stack to 64 like now? For normal survival mode I mean. It would be great if some mode was like I described. Stranded mode and hardcore survival mode being like this would be great! Just please have things like the carts etc.. to carry the larger stuff for these modes. By hand and by horse or donkey etc.. I would seriously be happy to build a log cabin by cutting trees and loading them onto a cart which needs to be pulled back to the build site. All with physics. Same for a modern house while using a vehicle with a trailer. It would be awesome! :D

What about gathering food while you explore? Having to run back home to get food will kill exploring. I hope we can pack an axe, a knife, some bandages or something like that, a means to start a fire, a little food, and a water skin and go on a hike for a couple days, surviving more on what is found out in the world.

I understand not wanting to work on a house for three months. I was trying to make a point. Being able to have 5 stacks of stone in your inventory isn't survival. It's building. Anyways. I will be totally happy if there is a hardcore survival mode. Please do this red. :)[/quote]

I do hope there are at least SOME monsters that do roam top-side. Not spawning in the darkness, like in Minecraft, just something that's like the Ghost mob I keep politely bringing up, a digger (weem's idea), or something that is partially hostile to your presence. Top-side would be boring.

Interesting that food shall also be limited. Curious with how that's going to be handled with how creative and crafty people shall get with that. Curious. And I'm glad these wagons, snow sleds, and similar being suggested again. I'd love to see that in a game like this to transport things around, fitting for my previous post that may have been too rambly and off-topic also. (Apologies if I keep hitting off-point notes....)

• I do hope there are at least SOME monsters that do roam top-side. Not spawning in the darkness, like in Minecraft, just something that's like the Ghost mob I keep politely bringing up, a digger (weem's idea), or something that is partially hostile to your presence. Top-side would be boring.

The way I always pictured it is that there would be a few straggling monsters top side but most of the hostiles would be animals (at least on the surface). Dungeons and cave and stuff like that I pictured it to be the opposite where as there would be mainly monsters and a few straggling hostile animals.

• Top-side would be boring.

You are forgetting the predatory animals which will hunt the player. Having to deal with a pack of wolves could seriously be worse then some monsters lol I'm sure a grizzly bear could rip a few monsters apart also. ;) No worries for the surface and the dangers there.

The way I always pictured it is that there would be a few straggling monsters top side but most of the hostiles would be animals (at least on the surface). Dungeons and cave and stuff like that I pictured it to be the opposite where as there would be mainly monsters and a few straggling hostile animals.

I could deal with that. If there will be monsters spawning on the surface, then less predators should spawn in that area/biome. Just to keep the balance.

• The way I always pictured it is that there would be a few straggling monsters top side but most of the hostiles would be animals (at least on the surface). Dungeons and cave and stuff like that I pictured it to be the opposite where as there would be mainly monsters and a few straggling hostile animals.

Make sense. I could see those wandering types wandering inbetween areas.

------

Predatory animals? Wolves? Ya, those would get annoying the more you leave an area wild. It all depends on how it's implemented and such so I guess I'm simply goign to have to sit back and wait, even dream that I'm playing Rising World.....Just be nice to have random 'mini-boss' type mobs lurking though.

Basically what you said in the last quoting above ^.

• Biomes should be large enough that people simply can't develop all of it. Especially if there is an equator which means biomes are in strips across the world, instead of in pockets like in Minecraft. I have my fingers crossed for this so much it hurts lol

• Biomes should be large enough that people simply can't develop all of it. Especially if there is an equator which means biomes are in strips across the world, instead of in pockets like in Minecraft. I have my fingers crossed for this so much it hurts lol

What do you mean can you explain it a little more

• So what you're suggesting and hoping for is to have a single biome that takes you 10 minutes to cross, or even larger? 2000 (KM)/M/Blocks took me 10 minutes to get from spawn to my city...if that's how big you want it then I'd actuall approve of it. That's how nearly big the snow biome was, and I actually enjoyed it. Vehicles would help speed things along through those kinds of distances. If it tries to mimic our Earth in how the biomes are laid out then I'd approve of that because it would be neat. Have all these roads and pathways leading towards specific destinations.

How big are you picturing biomes in your mind? Maybe in Minecraft specs also? If they're at least the size that it takes a whole night (on horse) to travel then that be awesome. If it takes 30 minutes then I'm fine with that also. Just as long as Rising World is awesome to the very end then I'll be fine. Mods can pick up where Rising World stops because this game so far seems to be higher than where I want it to be, minus the NPC companion part of things.

• How big are you picturing biomes in your mind? Maybe in Minecraft specs also? If they're at least the size that it takes a whole night (on horse) to travel then that be awesome. If it takes 30 minutes then I'm fine with that also. Just as long as Rising World is awesome to the very end then I'll be fine. Mods can pick up where Rising World stops because this game so far seems to be higher than where I want it to be, minus the NPC companion part of things.

I think that the sizes should be random but I do think curtain Bioms should not be next to each other for example:

desert biome should not be side by side with a oceans or snow biome

• Here is the original thread about it: biome location

I never figured out the world is infinite thing. I suppose at the north and south poles it would just get so damn cold and barren that the player would not be able to survive for long and have to turn back. Let the cold just keep going, or turn into ocean. Whatever works. :)

The size of biomes will have to be tested. They need to be somewhat large, especially if vehicles will come. I don't want to be in a new biome every few minutes while driving. It would be great if biomes would take like a in game day or two to cross by foot if you didn't stop (of course you would have to stop no doubt.. so a little longer in the end). I could go larger but I doubt many people want it like that lol

• Here is the original thread about it: biome location

I never figured out the world is infinite thing. I suppose at the north and south poles it would just get so damn cold and barren that the player would not be able to survive for long and have to turn back. Let the cold just keep going, or turn into ocean. Whatever works. :)

The size of biomes will have to be tested. They need to be somewhat large, especially if vehicles will come. I don't want to be in a new biome every few minutes while driving. It would be great if biomes would take like a in game day or two to cross by foot if you didn't stop (of course you would have to stop no doubt.. so a little longer in the end). I could go larger but I doubt many people want it like that lol

am cool with big bioms but I don't want it to be a grid where all the bioms are side by side and the same size
    I think in the end I think the bioms should look like a old school camo pattern

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!