A little confused on permission for areas.

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.1 (2024-09-02)
  • I am used to the old JAVA plugin for areas that created the permission file for the area and you just editted it. However, the new version system seems to be not area centric but rather group, playername or some random type of system. So do I create a file .json that has the same name as the area to insure that players have the right permissions or do I make up some quasi-group.json that players are given when they enter that area? Are their files for each area or files for each type of permission in areas? What would these file name look like?

• After you have created an area, you can assign it permissions that affect everyone who enters the area (as long as they can enter it; which you can also turn off).

Such a permission file could be called Visitor .json, for example.

Players can then be assigned to the area with their own/other permissions. But they have to be online to do that.

So the program basically knows who owns the area and how to treat everyone else.

• After you have created an area, you can assign it permissions that affect everyone who enters the area (as long as they can enter it; which you can also turn off).

Such a permission file could be called Visitor .json, for example.

Players can then be assigned to the area with their own/other permissions. But they have to be online to do that.

So the program basically knows who owns the area and how to treat everyone else.

So the protection is quasi group related and not area related?

• So the protection is quasi group related and not area related?

1st we have default permissions (default.json) which applies to all. We have group permissions which apply to anyone in that group (make a file with a group name your want e.g. newgrouper.json -- you can then add yourself to this 'group' if newgrouper.json resides in group folder). We also have area permissions, which apply within the area only. Area permissions will have higher priority over group and default permissions and reside in 'areas' folder. But you 1st must make your group/area json files .. before you can add players to group or area permissions. If you dont make any area or group permission files (those folders are empty by default), then everyone is just using default.json. default >>> group >>> areas

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

Edited 3 times, last by Juggernaut ().

• I just don't understand why this is so confusing so let me change to an example driven conversation. What does the directory look like?

Something like this?

/permissions/areas/area1.json

/permissions/areas/area2.json

/permissions/areas/area3.json

I believe the old java program kept the parameters in a SQLDatabase. Players ID, Area name and such were in the database. So if I want each area to have different parameters available then I have to populate each .json file and the name of the file (area1.json) is sorted and picked up by the program to assign permissions while they are in the areas.

Is this the correct concept?

• Brainbypass

Are these permissions for everyone, or just for you (if you can change something there, I assume you are an admin or the owner of the server)? I can't see an image under your link.

The number of blueprints is definitely regulated by the permissions. However, some regulations do not apply to admins if they are entered as such in the server.properties with their UID.

see server.properties below

## PERMISSION SETTINGS

# If true, server admins get full permissions, irrespective of their actual permission group

Permissions_AdminsFullPermissions=True

If you set this to "false", the permissions that you may have created as admin and thus also the blueprint number will apply

• Something like this?

/permissions/areas/area1.json

/permissions/areas/area2.json

/permissions/areas/area3.json

no (at least not for me) ... more like this:

/permissions/areas/visitors.json

/permissions/areas/owner.json

/permissions/areas/friend.json

/permissions/areas/admin.json

For me, each area is given the authorization of a visitor (who is allowed to do almost nothing except look).

Only when you add a player are they assigned a different special authorization according to their status.

• yes Its MY server... and I am the ADMIN...my Permissions_AdminsFullPermissions=True

I've setplayergroup brainbypass to admin

I had been messing around with lots of permission. and did reset it.

thank you.:)

• So all areas have the same permissions? It is sort of a group permissions where each area will have to have its own visitor1 visitor2 for area1 and area2

• I don't know how else to explain it :thinking:

Example:

You draw an area for a player XYZ. This area then gets the name XYZ and the permissions for visitors (visitors are visitors - no matter what area; that's why you don't need 1, 2 or 3 of them).

If you don't assign permissions to the area, then it's basically like the rest of the world for the players.

Then go to “Add player” in the menu and add player XYZ to this area and then select the owner permissions for him.

So everyone except him is a visitor to this area.

All permissions stored in the Permissions/Area folder can be selected when creating an area. Both for the area itself, or for players.

The areas created in the game are stored in a database in the world folder.

• No thanks for sticking it out. I think I understand it. For owners of an area I can give them an Owners.json which to me is a group unless I want each areas to have different owners rights in different areas. So right now I assume and start testing these .json files; owner, coowner,squadmate,visitor,adversary (PVP rights). I can modulate the squadmates and advesary rights if needed with further definition files. Thanks again.

PS it was the "selected when creating an area. Both for the area itself, or for players." I am assuming that I get the selection for rights when I select Add Player. This is true the visitors can be any name file and you choose it. Anybody that is not assigned other rights in that area only get the visitors file by default. Players have to be online to add and come up in the roll around menus when using F8 (2) area selection tool in Creative Mode.

Edited once, last by angriff: added postcript correction after confirming on my server how it works ().

• So here is a question. Can you link Group Protections and Area Protections together? If I wanted to say that anybody with a certain group protection could have the protection rights of that area selected? This might eliminate the need for assigning a group of players one and a time to an area. Just an idea. Then the group leader could add players if they had that permission. I know the area leader could be set that way but just wanted to discuss another means of linking permissions for groups.

• Can you link Group Protections and Area Protections together? If I wanted to say that anybody with a certain group protection could have the protection rights of that area selected?

That's a good idea. :thumbup: Perhaps it is technically possible to add a group of players to the area instead of just a single player...

red51 would have to comment on that....

purely theoretically, the player data has already been recorded during group assignment. So maybe you just need to add another option to the radial menu. :thinking:

• The other thing I would like is to be able to manually enter Steam IDs of players to an area or group when they are offline. In the old JAVA routine I could edit the database to add them from the list of players that joined the server. Not sure how to do it but that way the admin guys dont always have to be online when people visit.

I am sure the claim area will somewhat relieve this requirement but still manually adding a player that is not online to a data set is important.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!