Block Gravity?

• So, when you chop down a tree, gravity is used (I assume) to calculate a fall animation and resting stop. Same with chopping a tree into logs. I know this is probably on the radar to be implemented, but I'm wondering if and when gravity will be implemented for buildings.

Also, is there going to be structural integrity? Such as while building out a roof, will there be a time when adding a block could cause a collapse due to the weight / load of the blocks being higher than the load capability / glue of the supporting blocks? I heard Minecraft didn't have SI, but many other voxel-based games do. I did a search for gravity on the forums and didn't see much mention of it other than in regards to water.

• Basically structural intregrity would be interesting, but also has a few downsides: On the one hand, a lot of existing buildings may collapse after such an update (and it would be a pity, especially on multiplayer servers), on the other hand it would be extremely demanding in terms of performance if a fully furnished skyscraper collapses^^
    However, eventually it will be added as an optional feature somewhen in the future, but I'm not sure about that ;)

• that would be very interesting.... although im more personally interested in gravity affecting the ground , forcing caves and mines to be properly constructed, especially as you go deeper. which of course produces its own downsides, although most of which can be softened by increasing spawn rate/size deeper down.

• Someone mentioned that we should add ore veins so having cave ins in the underground would be something to be cautious about. Seen Minecraft play around with cave-ins that I can see Rising World play around with such on a bit of a more detailed manner. You can go mine for these ore veins while having to worry about it collapsing when you get "too greedy". Even the mention of adding monsters be sweet to "even the odds".

And I agree about adding in the structural integrity, yet with a very bold warning & a filter turned off. Once it's added it should be something people shall be challenging themselves with. I vote for this also while seeing it added into Minecraft through a trolling realism mod & in Medieval Engineer.

How high can you build? Out of what material can be the cheapest, yet strongest fun in challenge? It's all neat.

• Basically structural intregrity would be interesting, but also has a few downsides: On the one hand, a lot of existing buildings may collapse after such an update (and it would be a pity, especially on multiplayer servers), on the other hand it would be extremely demanding in terms of performance if a fully furnished skyscraper collapses^^
    However, eventually it will be added as an optional feature somewhen in the future, but I'm not sure about that ;)

If you were to turn on structural integrity with the way most of this stuff is built , it would all fall down. For a good example watch some of the medevil engineers youtube videos when they turn it on. It is hilarious :)

• My case for gravity is so that when collapsing a section of a build, we only would need to detach it from any solid blocks (as opposed to "air" blocks) to collapse large segments at once, instead of needing to break out 1 block at a time. What would be really nice, but probably very performance-intensive, would be for blocks to actually fall and produce some scrap resources, so we could recover some of the materials. Alternatively, the blocks could just fall, roll a little, and be collectible.

As to structural integrity - so long as a solid block actually touches another solid block, it could be considered as having structural integrity, or be "stable". This would be the loosest interpretation of SI, and minimize the need for complex "weight" calculations. A deeper implementation would be to calculate the weight of the block and the glue factor of the attaching surface. I don't know if it would need this deep of a calculation, and as stated, would cause a few buildings to collapse, at least partially.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!