Night-through sleeping in multi-player

• This is about multi-player mode; for a single-player discussion see Night-through sleeping in single player: 5 days?.

If one goes on sleeping in multi-player, the outcome if different according there are other players or not:

• If there are other players, the sleeping goes on indefinitely in regular game time.
    • If one is the only player of that server, the sleeping quickly goes through the whole night and in a few (real time) seconds one awakens at the morning, exactly as in single-player mode.

Note that the case 2. is affected by the same 5-days-later bug described for the single-player mode.

Is this difference intentional?

• If there are other players, the sleeping goes on indefinitely in regular game time.

You are only able to skip the night when all players are sleeping in their beds/tents/shelters ;) As long as at least 1 player is still awake, you can't skip the night.

If one is the only player of that server, the sleeping quickly goes through the whole night and in a few (real time) seconds one awakens at the morning, exactly as in single-player mode.

That's indeed intentional. Basically the same rule as above applies (basically the server just checks if all current players are sleeping in their bed, which is true when you're the only player)^^

• Thanks for the clarifications. If it is intentional, by definition it is not a bug. This means there are reasons behind this, perhaps involving the balancing of the user experience or something like. Still it looks a bit strange to me: on an MP server, time looks to me like an "external resource" which should not suffer alterations.

In fact, I can imagine in-game time being (eventually) the same across all servers (if actual sync is problematic, deriving the in-game time as a function of the server system time should be enough, as system time is itself usually synchronized to some external reference). If and when time will be relevant (seasons, moon phases, cyclic or timed events, ...), knowing their timing in advance could allow a better planning of player actions... But this is just my opinion of course!

Thanks, M.

• If it is intentional, by definition it is not a bug. This means there are reasons behind this, perhaps involving the balancing of the user experience or something like. Still it looks a bit strange to me: on an MP server, time looks to me like an "external resource" which should not suffer alterations.

The reason is that we wanted to give the ability to skip the night (some people prefer to play only during daytime). If just a single player on the server could skip the night by sleeping in his bed, it would be a bit unfair to other players (for those who actually want to play during night), so basically every player has to "agree" to skip the night (and they "agree" by sleeping in their beds, too). So only if all players on the server sleep in their beds, the night will be skipped. Of course this will rarely happen on big multiplayer servers, but for example when playing with your friends, you could just tell them to go to bed to skip the night ;)

Btw, we want to avoid to sync ingame time across all servers. We want to give full control over that to admins, so it's up to them to have a daytime-only or a night-only server. Admins can even define the duration of a day (this would not be possible if time would be synced across all servers), or change the current time via command

• Why not use a plug-in that makes the day/night cycle usable and be configurable by the admin ?

in MC there is a sleep plug-in that if x amount of players sleep at same time the day/night cycle goes thru, and the amount of players is admin configurable ( ex: if % of number of players online sleeping then do the night/day cycle)

If said plugin does not yet exist maybe someone will be able to program it if it's possible ? @red51 is it ?

mjminfo

• The reason is that we wanted to give the ability to skip the night (some people prefer to play only during daytime). If just a single player on the server could skip the night by sleeping in his bed, it would be a bit unfair to other players (for those who actually want to play during night), so basically every player has to "agree" to skip the night (and they "agree" by sleeping in their beds, too). So only if all players on the server sleep in their beds, the night will be skipped. Of course this will rarely happen on big multiplayer servers, but for example when playing with your friends, you could just tell them to go to bed to skip the night ;)

Btw, we want to avoid to sync ingame time across all servers. We want to give full control over that to admins, so it's up to them to have a daytime-only or a night-only server. Admins can even define the duration of a day (this would not be possible if time would be synced across all servers), or change the current time via command

so as Red mentions in his message above, the future plugin would have to tell the server that all players are sleeping in order to cycle the night/day cycle.

The admin could make a rule that the night/day cycle will go thru if x % of players are a sleep ( like if 20% of players sleep do the cycle), then the plugin would tell the server either by changing the time of the server or tell the server to force the night/day cycle.

this way if not all (or the minimum % set by the admin) players want to sleep then the plugin would not force the night/day cycle.

• I have some difficulty in understanding this conversation.

If I understand correctly, the request amounts to asking for a way for a plug-in to lie to the server, giving it false information about the player statuses, in order for the server to trigger the "all players are sleeping => jump to next day" rule (as if the server is not able to look for itself).

Wouldn't it be much more simple and meaningful to ask for a server setting allowing for a more relaxed rule?

Incidentally, it is just my opinion and it is not worth more than any other other opinion, but my point in raising this issue was not to have more night skipping but less of it; in fact none of it!

I have read @red51 answers and I agree that the matter has been thought out thoroughly and expresses an explicit point of view. RW is JIW's game and JIW is the ultimate authority about it. So far, so good.

My point of view is different, though. At least in MP servers (in SP, things might be different), time is a shared resource, provided from 'outside' and should not be tampered with. And, if I can choose, I would prefer a server where time is not (often) tampered with to a server with a distinct predilection for time 'cheats'.

Right now, in alpha, short-cuts might make sense, but in a future production release, there might be a number of things relying on a constant time flow: from plant growth, to train schedules, to moon cycles or satellite orbits and so on. Altering the time flow would create problems and possibly undermine these things. In fact, for what is worth, in production I would even remove the "tod" feature.

• Miwarre brings up an excellent point about how sleeping through the night might potentially skip over future events. I guess something like this is ultimately up to Red51 but I still stand by implementing a isSleeping variable in Player or a PlayerSleep event. Night-skipping aside, the player's resting status could be used in future plugins that would, say, slowly restore health when a player is resting.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!