The primitive path to the first crafting bench

• Probably unexpectedly by some, given my previous posts, I think a fuller utilisation of animal parts would be a sensible addition: killing a cow only to grab two steaks is such a waste! Ant this, mind, regardless of epoch. A measure of gory details could be a reasonable part of the process, unless this would affect the game rating and, indirectly, its presence on the market.

I had to look "sinew" up in a dictionary but, indeed!, we need them!

• Anyways, I like the idea of sinews over simple plant fibers. Maybe that can be a small upgrade over the basic bow.

It would give it better range and a bit more damage, also a better durability then plant fibers.

Probably unexpectedly by some, given my previous posts, I think a fuller utilisation of animal parts would be a sensible addition: killing a cow only to grab two steaks is such a waste! Ant this, mind, regardless of epoch. A measure of gory details could be a reasonable part of the process, unless this would affect the game rating and, indirectly, its presence on the market.

I had to look "sinew" up in a dictionary but, indeed!, we need them!

The waste of hunting in rising world is why I never do. Tribal people used every part of a kill for something and while I'm not saying we should have every single bone, though many can be used for different things nor every cut of meat, though a nice rump roast or lengua burrito would be a nice treat, I think a few basics should be considered mostly the parts that we couldn't have survived with out like water skins and sausage casings. Here's a link to consider as far as Sinews are concerned for primitive survival.

http://sensiblesurvival.blogsp…ring-and-using-sinew.html

• The waste of hunting in rising world is why I never do. Tribal people used every part of a kill for something and while I'm not saying we should have every single bone, though many can be used for different things nor every cut of meat, though a nice rump roast or lengua burrito would be a nice treat, I think a few basics should be considered mostly the parts that we couldn't have survived with out like water skins and sausage casings. Here's a link to consider as far as Sinews are concerned for primitive survival.

http://sensiblesurvival.blogsp…ring-and-using-sinew.html

Not only tribal peoples! In any rural economy, still in my youth, it was normal to use up almost everything of everything.

Any edible part was eaten, including skin parts (one of the traditional dish from Milan -- not precisely a tribal economy -- is rice with cotiche, which are pieces from the pig skin: heavy to digest, but excellent!), blood (blood-made sausages were common in Italy until a few decades ago and still found as local, traditional specialities) and even cartilages (disgusting to me, but much appreciated by some) or bones (the ossobuco -- bone with a hole -- is another traditional dish from Lombardy).

Skin, with or without fur, has innumerable usages, as well as feathers and of course bones.

Still today, in our industrial economy, very little of animal carcasses is dump (sometime, not even when it actually should be!); if nothing else, it becomes pet food!

• As you're talking about primitive tools I would kindly like to ask for durability as a first option or integrated. With new tools, armor and animations coming next I would rather think more along the lines of durability so things don't last forever. We go mining about only one time in the entire game, the rest we can quarry mountains for stone, dirt and coal. Have you ever made a tool out of bone or perhaps even out of stone? Early tools you call primitive are made in fact from shale, limestone and sometimes granite or obsidian shards. All of which that are broken, shaped by campfire and sharpened over a water stone. randomly picking up a rock and saying let's craft a pickaxe or an axe makes me want to facepalm real hard. IRL they break very fast, that's why they were used in making hunting spears not randomly shaping a boulder into pickaxe materials. If you want an IRL experience go make one at home and try it out, let us know how it works for you.

"You're not in Minecraft anymore Toto, Go back to Kansas!"

• Durability is a much needed addition and your right making an ax out of any old stone you find would have more or less depending on what kind you get. Not sure if Red wants to go into the Hardness Scale and start placing various stones around to find that are better suited to different crafts to show durability but if he did that would be really cool. I would love to have a Jasper Hammer as opposed to just a "Stone Hammer" or even an obsidian knife instead of a Flint knife each having there own unique strengths of cutting power and durability. However such things are likely to come later rather then sooner so I'll keep it simple until then.
    The durability factor when it comes will likely depend heavily on materiel and possibly even a skill system (really on the fence about skills) Primitive or Early Tools should be the start of Durability as anyone who has ever used a rock to hammer another rock can tell you most of the time you get two smashed rocks. A simple rock with a stick handle attached with sinew can eventually break a boulder all the same, even if you need six rocks to do it.

• Because its traditional? I have a friend of German descent and she told me about something she was fed as a child which was essentially raw ground beef. She wouldn't eat it nowadays. I remember my dad ate raw meat too on occasion and he is Italian. I caught him doing it on occasion before making meatballs.

And I eat sushi so I guess I am just as strange.

• I just thought of something necessary for that primitive furnace ( kiln). We still need charchoal as a substitute for coal. Charchoal burns hotter than wood. Thats required for certain ores to smelt. The video below shows the making of a mound of wood scraps covered in mud. This burns off all the impurities in the wood, leaving a good supply of charchoal behind.

With the furnace required to use fuel, i wonder if we can eventually modify it to require certain fuels to reach that temperatures.. I think this was mentioned in another thread.

https://primitivetechnology.wo…16/02/19/making-charcoal/

• "raw ground beef": I suppose it is something like the meat à la tartare: raw ground meat (usually not beef, though, but calf) with lemon, garlic some herbs, etc etc; precise recipe varies from place to place. I ate it frequently when a boy and I liked it, even if I was not (and still I am not) very fond of meat.

In Italy, and probably elsewhere too, raw meat is also used for Carpaccio, calf meat sliced in thin leaves and treated with lemon and oil (olive oil, of course), "customisations" may include thin chips of Parmigiano, capers, some savoury salad, etc... It is considered kind of a luxury dish, as the meat has to be of very high quality (so, not properly primitive) and I like it too, occasionally.

And, incidentally, I find sushi disgusting: really, tastes are heavily influenced by where one grows in.

• I just thought of something necessary for that primitive furnace ( kiln). We still need charchoal as a substitute for coal. Charchoal burns hotter than wood. Thats required for certain ores to smelt. The video below shows the making of a mound of wood scraps covered in mud. This burns off all the impurities in the wood, leaving a good supply of charchoal behind.

With the furnace required to use fuel, i wonder if we can eventually modify it to require certain fuels to reach that temperatures.. I think this was mentioned in another thread.

https://primitivetechnology.wo…16/02/19/making-charcoal/

Charcoal would also be needed to make proper steel a little goes into the mix of iron and then burned off at high temperatures. The kiln should require fuel of wood for melting things like copper, gold and silver. Then charcoal for iron. I'll have to do some research on melting points to comment on the others.

• Tungsten- 6191 F or 3422 C........How or we making bars in the smelter?
    Apparently there is something called a powder process that sounded complected to my after work brain.

Real life metal and melting points do not in my opinion make for a great gaming experience. So instead I propose a melting rate of 1-10 for the game metals. With the question of how do you melt metal with out melting your forge the answer seems to be the heat is directed inwards by placing the coal just right and using air intakes. If you want to see a few melting points the link below was useful.
    http://www.onlinemetals.com/meltpt.cfm

From lowest to highest
    Lead------1 why don't we have lead in rising world?
    Zinc-------
    Aluminum ------ 2 possibly the easiest to melt and thus the first real metal weapon
    Magnesium
    Bronze------ 3 not yet in game but I am hopeful
    Brass--------3 Like wise
    Silver ------4 This one surprised me but unless we get were wolves I see little need for silver weapons
    Copper -----5 my original thought for the first metal weapons as the Egyptians seemed to be fond of them.
    Gold -----5 Immediately thought of a big piece of rising world Bling
    Cast Iron ------6 The first iron I think we should get made by melting ore directly into items
    Steel -----6 Want this one in the game
    Nickel --------6
    Wrought Iron ----6 Or as we call it Iron
    Colbot---------- 6
    Mithril----------8 That is if it is like Titanium
    Tungsten 10 The second highest melting point other then coal

• I agree with @Moderndaybardx: entering in great detail about melting points, melting techniques and metal shaping techniques is likely to make the game and the game experience cumbersome, more than entertaining, at least for the majority of players. So, I believe his suggestion of broad-ish categories with nominal labels, is preferable.

Perhaps even less than 10 melting classes: 5 or so? Otherwise we would need 10 kinds of fuel, perhaps 10 kinds of smelters and so on. Same for metal shaping: casting and forging, as a blocks, are possibly enough, without entering in the innumerable details of the various kinds of forging, the various types of tempering and so on.

About the metal list: I am sure you know that bronze (copper + mostly tin) and brass (copper + zinc) are not metals, but metallic alloys. Which raises the point of having a way to make alloys in RW, I believe this rather important for @red51 and the dev team to keep an eye on, as bronze historically has been quite relevant; and for very good reasons, I assume.

Do not take me wrong, but I find peculiar that your list only seems to consider metals are a material for weapons:

*) Silver and gold have never been used for weapons, but did play a major role in human history and technology.
    *) Brass too does not make for good weapons -- bronze is better and possibly easier to process -- but is very useful for metallic parts where the strength of iron is not necessary (and for musical instruments, but this is another story ;) ).
    *) Aluminium might have a low smelting point, but processing it has always being difficult for other reasons and it is still today one of the most expensive to process; aluminium was once considered more precious than gold and I assume nobody ever thought of making weapons out of it.
    *) Metals were and are used for a great many other things of everyday like, in addition to weapons: just let's look around us and see.
    *) And yes, we definitely need lead and tin!

• @Miwarre Yes Bronze is made from Tin and copper and sometimes held trace amounts of zinc, aluminium, nickel and magnesium. I think the traces came from the refining process of the Tin and Copper themselves.

Weapons and Tools is merely a focal point to consider when one is starting out I think we should be able to make any of the metals into any of the tools. An over all hardness rating for each type of material would then determine how durable and how many hits it took to get the job done. Naturally one of the main uses of gold was as currency and decoration but I wonder if Red is willing to go into the realm of things considered "Forbidden" Archaeology such as the Egyptian style Battery as gold is also one of the most conductive metals.

I am putting a Craft Tree together on paper as speculation and suggestion to be posted when it's complete as well as watching some interesting video's of a guy in the middle of the woods making early tools. A Drill made of twine and rock and stick was never something I would of thought of but not sure we need such a thing for Rising world, but it could be.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!