Announcement Forum update (4.1)

  • Forum update (4.1)

    Although it's not related to the game, but just as a small notification: We updated the forum to the latest version (4.1). This brings some nice features, among others:
    • Your posts will be saved as draft automatically (so they don't get lost when closing the tab accidentally)
    • Optional delayed publishing of your topics
    • Like system for some sections (suggestions, blueprints, tutorials, images)
    • Images in your post can be resized
    • Ability to attach files to your post directly


    By the way, expect some game-related news about the upcoming dungeons and the Plugin API soon

    The post was edited 3 times, last by red51 ().

  • ww

    red51 wrote:

    Although it's not related to the game, but just as a small notification: We updated the forum to the latest version (4.1). This brings some nice features, among others:
    • Your posts will be saved as draft automatically (so they don't get lost when closing the tab accidentally)
    • Optional delayed publishing of your topics
    • Like system for some sections (suggestions, blueprints, tutorials, images)
    • Images in your post can be resized
    • Ability to attach files to your post directly


    By the way, expect some game-related news about the upcoming dungeons and the Plugin API shortly ;)
    I'm hoping we can create our own dungeons, i have ideas galore for EffenDor



    Join me In my New Server:
    The World Within
    Discord: The World Within
  • red51 wrote:

    By the way, expect some game-related news about the upcoming dungeons and the Plugin API shortly ;)
    Not trying to say anything to upset anyone, but when you say shortly what does this in-tell, as you announced the move to Java back in Nov, so it's been 8 months already, and I know that the scripters that I know have been pretty much sitting on their hands since then waiting for the move. Just curious on a time table is all... and hoping it's not going to be another 8 months.
    Yes my life IS always this hectic, so deal with it!
  • Captian_Cornball wrote:

    I'm hoping we can create our own dungeons, i have ideas galore for EffenDor
    Yes, basically that's possible, since the dungeons are just made out of blocks, objects and construction elements, you can build your own dungeons of course. Alternatively the plugin API allows you to create a dungeon programmatically, although that's going to be a little bit more tricky ^^


    Kensi wrote:

    but when you say shortly what does this in-tell, as you announced the move to Java back in Nov, so it's been 8 months already, and I know that the scripters that I know have been pretty much sitting on their hands since then waiting for the move. Just curious on a time table is all... and hoping it's not going to be another 8 months.
    It's definitely not going to take another 8 months ;) Previously the Plugin API had a comparatively low priority, since we had to get updates like the biomes and water ready, so we were not able to spend much time on the API during that time. Right now we're mainly working on the Plugin API (as well as on a documentation, which consumes most of the time), I'm confident that a pre-version of the API will be available this month. But my original post was more referring to our intention to give out some more information about the Plugin API and dungeons shortly, i.e. this week or next week.
  • red51 wrote:

    Right now we're mainly working on the Plugin API (as well as on a documentation, which consumes most of the time),
    Well, documentation is always a pain in the neck to produce and there is never enough of it! Nevertheless, at this stage, some Javadoc would already be great!
    __________
    My plug-ins: Planks 'n Beams, GPS, UPS, Weather control, Plugin Central, RWGui (GUI back-end), Bank (Money back end)
  • Kensi wrote:

    red51 wrote:

    By the way, expect some game-related news about the upcoming dungeons and the Plugin API shortly ;)
    Not trying to say anything to upset anyone, but when you say shortly what does this in-tell, as you announced the move to Java back in Nov, so it's been 8 months already, and I know that the scripters that I know have been pretty much sitting on their hands since then waiting for the move. Just curious on a time table is all... and hoping it's not going to be another 8 months.
    All I can say is that I hope and pray that Rising World NEVER ports over to Java. Almost half of my "Village Life" mod pack for Minecraft is filled with optimization mods to let the game handle objects better, or to free up memory. Since I was focusing on a concept that needed lots of NPC's, objects, and multiblock structures I pretty much had to be really careful and even so I never authorized it for server use . . . though with almost 8000 uploads people have asked for server support. The best I can tell them is to play a lan game. It's what i do when I want to play the pack with my wife.

    It is, unfortunately, very tricky to get Java to do a lot of basic gaming tasks efficiently . . . a programmer can do it, but other languages like C make the job a lot simpler. Minecraft is pretty much the only game I know of coded from the ground up in Java and Notch has admitted it was only meant to be a little proof of concept thing.

    One thing I have been excited about is seeing how rising world could perform with large cities, lots of objects, lots of NPC's, lots of machinery with moving parts . . . all based on a platform that escapes the limits of Java.
  • Winddbourne wrote:

    Kensi wrote:

    red51 wrote:

    By the way, expect some game-related news about the upcoming dungeons and the Plugin API shortly ;)
    Not trying to say anything to upset anyone, but when you say shortly what does this in-tell, as you announced the move to Java back in Nov, so it's been 8 months already, and I know that the scripters that I know have been pretty much sitting on their hands since then waiting for the move. Just curious on a time table is all... and hoping it's not going to be another 8 months.
    All I can say is that I hope and pray that Rising World NEVER ports over to Java. Almost half of my "Village Life" mod pack for Minecraft is filled with optimization mods to let the game handle objects better, or to free up memory. Since I was focusing on a concept that needed lots of NPC's, objects, and multiblock structures I pretty much had to be really careful and even so I never authorized it for server use . . . though with almost 8000 uploads people have asked for server support. The best I can tell them is to play a lan game. It's what i do when I want to play the pack with my wife.
    It is, unfortunately, very tricky to get Java to do a lot of basic gaming tasks efficiently . . . a programmer can do it, but other languages like C make the job a lot simpler. Minecraft is pretty much the only game I know of coded from the ground up in Java and Notch has admitted it was only meant to be a little proof of concept thing.

    One thing I have been excited about is seeing how rising world could perform with large cities, lots of objects, lots of NPC's, lots of machinery with moving parts . . . all based on a platform that escapes the limits of Java.
    the whole game is written in Java, so adding the API written in Java woudn't make a difference



    Join me In my New Server:
    The World Within
    Discord: The World Within
  • Winddbourne wrote:

    All I can say is that I hope and pray that Rising World NEVER ports over to Java. [...] It is, unfortunately, very tricky to get Java to do a lot of basic gaming tasks efficiently
    I was 'born' as a programmer when C++ had yet to come, C was the default and it was still customary to code routines in assembly when efficiency was a top concern. So, I can understand @Winddbourne concerns. Still, much water has flown under those bridges and Java can nowadays be considered a full-fledged programming language. It has some shortcomings, but any language has its own. Rising World is entirely written in Java, as Wurm Unlimited is and, I assume, several other games or large scale programmes I cannot think of on the spot.

    On the other hand, no matter of the language either the core or the API or both are written in, a plug-in/add-on/mod API will almost inevitably face some complexities and 'rough edges', as it has to interface with the core somewhat 'from outside', with inevitable duplications of tasks and of code and other inefficiencies, not to mention that it can only be assigned a portion of the execution time, without stealing too much from the core threads. So, implementing an entire new 'sub-game' via a scripting API will always raise efficiency concerns, regardless of the implementation language.
    __________
    My plug-ins: Planks 'n Beams, GPS, UPS, Weather control, Plugin Central, RWGui (GUI back-end), Bank (Money back end)
  • Winddbourne wrote:

    Kensi wrote:

    red51 wrote:

    By the way, expect some game-related news about the upcoming dungeons and the Plugin API shortly ;)
    Not trying to say anything to upset anyone, but when you say shortly what does this in-tell, as you announced the move to Java back in Nov, so it's been 8 months already, and I know that the scripters that I know have been pretty much sitting on their hands since then waiting for the move. Just curious on a time table is all... and hoping it's not going to be another 8 months.
    All I can say is that I hope and pray that Rising World NEVER ports over to Java. Almost half of my "Village Life" mod pack for Minecraft is filled with optimization mods to let the game handle objects better, or to free up memory. Since I was focusing on a concept that needed lots of NPC's, objects, and multiblock structures I pretty much had to be really careful and even so I never authorized it for server use . . . though with almost 8000 uploads people have asked for server support. The best I can tell them is to play a lan game. It's what i do when I want to play the pack with my wife.
    It is, unfortunately, very tricky to get Java to do a lot of basic gaming tasks efficiently . . . a programmer can do it, but other languages like C make the job a lot simpler. Minecraft is pretty much the only game I know of coded from the ground up in Java and Notch has admitted it was only meant to be a little proof of concept thing.

    One thing I have been excited about is seeing how rising world could perform with large cities, lots of objects, lots of NPC's, lots of machinery with moving parts . . . all based on a platform that escapes the limits of Java.
    dude. the server side plugins for RW right now is lua and we all know how single threaded and pain in the (bad word here) lua really is, so a switch to java is badly needed.