Journal Not Updating

• maybe i should explain better. i wrote some pages to ADD to my journal, and only the old pages the original pages show up, not the new pages I wrote. Maybe that will help clarify and get some help?

Yes my life IS always this hectic, so deal with it!

• Do you use it in singleplayer or on a multiplayer server? When playing singleplayer, you have to reload the world in order to update the journal, when playing multiplayer, you have to restart the server after replacing the xml file ;)

• she posted for me because i havn't posted about the issue yet as im still trying to figure out what went wrong.
    the journal.xml is on the server and the server has restarted multiple times but the journal.xml still wont load up in game and im trying to figure out why but any help from you red would be great.
    i used and gave kensi a copy of the journal.xml you posted in another topic thread so i am still abit puzzeled as to why it wont load.

• Doesn't the journal load up at all, or is still only the "old" journal accessible? If no journal loads up, it's most likely a syntax error in the xml, as @Miwarre suspected (but the serverlog will contain an error output then).

• I was afraid you all would say its a syntax error :( Heres the journal.xml

Btw why xml and not json for the server notes?

• Json is not a markup language but then again neither is xml.

I hope that some journal access will come eventually to the api. I imagine we will be writing scripts to auto update the journal content (new missions, hand-drawn map, saved screenshots, and personal notes).

be great to be able to do custom quests

• The journal.xml looks fine, I was able to load it successfully oO Does the server really restart? There is no cache or something like this, so after a restart the server reads the journal file again.
    Does it work when restarting the game (usually it's sufficient to just reconnect to the server)?

Btw why xml and not json for the server notes?

Why using json for this? XML provides better readability in this case, especially due to its support for attributes. The only "issues" with XML is the trouble with reserved characters, and the fact that it's more "wordy", resulting in slightly bigger files (but this doesn't matter in this case, since the server reads the file and converts it into an internal "journal" object [and serializes it in order to send it to the client], so the actual filesize has no influence on memory consumption or traffic or whatever).

I hope that some journal access will come eventually to the api

Well, at least it's our intention that each plugin is able to create custom pages in the journal (independent of the "server notes" section). We will also add more elements to the journal like textfields, lists and checkboxes, so it will be possible to control the plugin or call certain functions with the journal. Of course that's just optional, alternatively one could still use commands etc. However, I'm afraid this won't be available with the first release of the new API

• The journal.xml looks fine, I was able to load it successfully oO Does the server really restart? There is no cache or something like this, so after a restart the server reads the journal file again.
    Does it work when restarting the game (usually it's sufficient to just reconnect to the server)?

I found out today that it doesn't actually stop and reboot.... i have requested a total shut down from the company and it did boot, and i saw some line errors, so i went and re did them, and have to request yet again for a total shut down reboot *sighs* so yes, this seems to be the issue.

Yes my life IS always this hectic, so deal with it!

• Well, at least it's our intention that each plugin is able to create custom pages in the journal (independent of the "server notes" section). We will also add more elements to the journal like textfields, lists and checkboxes, so it will be possible to control the plugin or call certain functions with the journal. Of course that's just optional, alternatively one could still use commands etc.

Very good news!

However, I'm afraid this won't be available with the first release of the new API

Yes, it could be useful, but I understand it is not a top priority.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!