Different 'level' of Torch fixtures?

• Right now the only way to place a torch is to first place an iron wall/ground fixture. Are there plans to have fixtures made of different materials (wood: maybe only placeable on the ground)?

I ask as it seems that once iron ore/minerals are added the current fixture will be unavailable until you find iron, and mining can be very dark without placed torches.

Keep up the awesome work! :)

• I like the idea that the wooden torch mount could only be stuck in the ground. This would provide enough incentive for players to seek out iron ore and produce a more useful mount.

Here are a couple of related questions:

1. Will tools take damage as they are used? In the past I have thought that they should not take damage as long as they as being used properly. For example, if a player were to use a pick axe to cut down a tree then it would take damage, but if was used on stone then it would not.

2. What would happen to a player who somehow lost his axe and pick axe before he/she was able to build a crafting station? Would that player be able to use their hands to accumulate raw materials?

• Guess you didn't find the headlamp key Zaphieus, With my "L" key i can see 1\2 a mile away nighttime....

Speaking of witch, why do we throw away on the ground our tools or what ever we have in our hands when we turn night vision on?
    Not a nasty bug but don't drop ya tools as you flying way up there...

• 1. Will tools take damage as they are used? In the past I have thought that they should not take damage as long as they as being used properly. For example, if a player were to use a pick axe to cut down a tree then it would take damage, but if was used on stone then it would not.

We are not sure about that yet. If we will implement something like that, it will be in the far future :)

2. What would happen to a player who somehow lost his axe and pick axe before he/she was able to build a crafting station? Would that player be able to use their hands to accumulate raw materials?

That's a good question. Perhaps we add some simpler tools for the beginning (which can be build of resources you find). Not sure about that.

Guess you didn't find the headlamp key Zaphieus, With my "L" key i can see 1\2 a mile away nighttime....

But keep in mind that this is only a debug function currently ;) In the future, we remove this magic light (but offer headlamps, nightvisions etc. instead^^)

• That's a good question. Perhaps we add some simpler tools for the beginning (which can be build of resources you find). Not sure about that.

I could totally do stone tools made by hand with a stick, stone shaped by hand via smashing rocks together to get an edge, and some vines or bark used to tie it together. Just an axe, pick and maybe a small knife would be fine I think.

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• I could totally do stone tools made by hand with a stick, stone shaped by hand via smashing rocks together to get an edge, and some vines or bark used to tie it together. Just an axe, pick and maybe a small knife would be fine I think.

Yes, that makes sense! We will think about that again once the time has come :) Such tools would also be interesting for the stranded mode (are much more suitable than forged tools).

• I say leave it as it is right now, (spawn with a pick axe & an axe) and fine by me! Otherwise is like playing Arma & completely lose everything each time you die....
    Specially annoying if ya get jumped by a random player who kills you just because he wanted to try it, but a brain fart makes him forget that you just
    made the whole inventory of the dead guy disappear by him dying....

• I say leave it as it is right now, (spawn with a pick axe & an axe) and fine by me! Otherwise is like playing Arma & completely lose everything each time you die....
    Specially annoying if ya get jumped by a random player who kills you just because he wanted to try it, but a brain fart makes him forget that you just
    made the whole inventory of the dead guy disappear by him dying....

I see your point. Maybe there could be an option on world creation/in settings to chose "drop inventory on death/drop tools on death/ drop nothing on death"? just an idea though. :P

• Some people are going to want a hardcore mode, as long it is optional then I am ok with it.

FYI, on the whole torch thing. Remember that garden torches (6 sticks) can be placed on any roughly horizontal surface without a mount, and can also be picked back up.
    These should be your first choice early game.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!