Two observations about weather

• The new addition of changing weather is definitely gorgeous! It is a very welcomed addition, it must have been rather complex to implement and it works very nicely.

There are a couple of points I find curious, though:

1) Clouds consistently go in the direction of sunset; the Coriolis effect should ensure that, in any rotating planet with an atmosphere and winds and with a rotation axis more or less orthogonal with the ecliptic, clouds go prevalently toward the sunrise direction. I understand that implementing the variability of direction observed in reality would be an added complexity for little added value. But, if a standard direction has to be chosen (which is fine), shouldn't it be the (very) prevalent direction observed in nature?

This might seem a marginal detail, but I find my orienting constantly perturbed by this contradiction.

2) Over time, there seems to be a prevalence of bad weather. It looks like RW is situated in a perennial Northern Europe Autumn! Maybe I've just been lucky to be born in Italy and to be accustomed to a greater prevalence of good/fair weather... I remember some weather customisation has been added but I cannot find the details any more.

Any chance it would be possible to add a nice-to-bad weather setting? A multitude of detailed settings (how much rain, how much snow, etc.) is not really needed, I think, just one value shifting from a high probability of nice weather to a high probability of bad weather(s).

Thanks!

• While this sounds great and I would love to see more realistic clouds, Rising World is a flat earth so anything we know about how weather systems work in a round planet pretty much go out the window :-D

Yes and no. It is not a matter of "more realistic"; clouds (as well as other weather effect) look very realistic for me.

Round or flat earth do not really matter, as 'flat' planets do not exist, as far as we know, and RW is clearly simulating a rotation (unless you assume that the sun and the moon are orbiting around the planet with a 1-day cycle). Would you consider "normal" to have trees growing downward below ground, on the basis that "this is not a real Earth"?

I am not asking to have the Coriolis effect implemented (which would be complex and totally overkill); I am just asking to have clouds moving in the direction we are accustomed to see in the sky (a change possibly requiring little more than flipping some signs): as deterministically as they do now, but in the usual direction. The current, opposite, direction looks strange to me and confuses my sense of orienting.

• Now that would be fun to try to figure out Flat world weather... No winds to speak of because in the flat world "world" We are all there is nothing else, no moon to pull the tides. No spin of the Earth to make the wind, weather. So there would be nothing...... Just turtles all the way.

DEATH AND DESTRUCTION PVP
    192.154.229.151:4255

• Now that would be fun to try to figure out Flat world weather... No winds to speak of because in the flat world "world" We are all there is nothing else, no moon to pull the tides. No spin of the Earth to make the wind, weather. So there would be nothing...... Just turtles all the way.

Maybe you could ask the experts at reddit.com/r/flatearth
    I'm sure they spent plenty of time to figure it out.

• Glad to have provoked such a lively discussion! :D

Things seem to me simpler than they have been described so far (for once! As I am the one usually pleading for complexity!).

RW is a model of either our Earth or of a planet rather similar to it: it rotates (as the day/night cycle implies), it has a sun (then it orbits) and a moon; it has an atmosphere and atmospheric phenomena and so on.

Graphically it is represented as a flat surface, which is not a problem: there are very few games (or even 'games' lato sensu) covering an area big enough for planet surface curvature to become an issue and RW is not among them, now or in the near future (which also is not an issue: plenty of things to do already!).

Given that, among the many things which look correct, nice, gorgeous... there is one detail -- cloud direction -- which 'looks wrong', no matter how it can be rationally justified, it 'looks wrong'; admittedly a small detail but of some consequence and which can presumably corrected relatively easily. I thought it worth mentioning.

Possibly it is because I live on the sea (hmm, above the sea) and I am accustomed to a wider horizon and sky than it is usual in a town and I am attracted (or affected?) by atmospheric details, who knows. I find curious that nobody seems to notice or to care, though...

May I draw the discussion also to the second point I mention in my OP? Nobody else finds the currently implemented mixture of weathers too on the bad side? Only a personal side effect of sunny Italy?

• One does not need to have a planet rotate to have day and night. They went thousands (maybe millions) of years with a flat earth with the moon and sun just going by... 8o . I away's thought RW was flat world for the simple fact I never seen the curvature no matter how fast I fly or the map filled in.

I do find the weather a bad mixture, but I figure it was easier to make it rain than not. From what I read in the forums there are plans to modify the weather. I do have to agree Italy is sunny. I loved Naples when I was back there a million years ago.

• PS @ Miwarre just because you have not seen it does not mean it does not exist. Flat worlds could exist in the 2 dimension universe. Fact that is the only type that could.

• PS @ Miwarre just because you have not seen it does not mean it does not exist. Flat worlds could exist in the 2 dimension universe. Fact that is the only type that could.

Agreed. However, we have no evidence that 2-dimensional universes do exist. I would like to stick to RW implementation, though, if possible.

• I know I know BUT joni 909 bought it back up while it is a flat universe what do you think the worlds would be? That is why they talked about 3D holographic worlds. We might want to be careful Red might move this to "other" thread" :D:P

• as Einstein said we can live in a 2d universe but we can't see it because we can only see everything in 3d or semi 3d
    that doesn't mean that we live on a flat-world only a universe that's 2 dimensional X Y ........ it's hard to describe but you can live on a round(oval) planet but the universe is only in to dimensions so you can't move up far above the planet but you could move far sideways

• Oh GOSH!

First of all, all this discussion of 2D vs 3D, how much interesting it might be in general (and it is, for sure!), does not apply to RW: with all its mountains, valley, celestial bodies 'flying' in the sky, blocks piling up, etc., it surely does not represent a 2-dimensional world (or universe!).

Trying to come back to the original questions:

1) Clouds:
    1a) Am I just day-dreaming or the clouds do move in the 'wrong' direction?

1b) In the second case, would it not be the case to correct this, especially if this is, as it seems from outside, a relatively simple matter?

2) Weather:
    2a) I believe the currently implemented mixture of weather to be a bit too much on the 'adverse' side. Is it just that I am accustomed to better weather or someone else shares the feeling?

2b) How useful could be rated a single additional setting to 'tune' this mixture along the "favourable" - "adverse" scale? No request for a complex. detailed system to set individual parameters, just one value setting the server-wide average weather mixture.

• The weather does appear to move opposite the expected west-to-east direction, and it certainly would make sense to observe clouds moving and forming as we would expect on earth. Yet, I think the weather experienced in Rising World ought to reflect less of a favorable trend as you mention and more of a response system to whichever biome you happen to reside, which is essentially what the game features already.

The system in place more or less mirrors weather patterns one could expect in those different biomes since I have yet to see any rain in the desert or to make snow-angels on a snowy tropical beach (although I suppose I could make one in the sand :thumbup: ), but I won't deny it would be neat to customize one's local climate to come up with tolerable conditions if the game ever takes on an even more in-depth survival tone and affect a player's health through the weather (I would be surprised if Red is not already planning something like this, though). To be truthful, I wouldn't mind having a random-weather generator for the game. I'm speaking of a single-player feature, mostly for the surreal worldtype, as I'm sure it would probably interfere with most players' projects in multiplayer servers, but who knows?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!