Heating a house

• Hi all

Now we have effects from cold and heat, is there a way to heat a house so you can work when it's cold outside without having to have camp fires scattered all over the house so when your working you are always standing near a fire?

• If you're inside a building, this has an impact on your temperature. However, unfortunately there is no way to "heat" a building. The only way would be to always have some sources of heat in your proximity.

Heat isn't blocked by walls, so one thing you could do is place heat sources (fires, radiators etc) under the floor or inside walls, for example (if you don't want to place them visibly in your room)

• If you're inside a building, this has an impact on your temperature. However, unfortunately there is no way to "heat" a building. The only way would be to always have some sources of heat in your proximity.

Heat isn't blocked by walls, so one thing you could do is place heat sources (fires, radiators etc) under the floor or inside walls, for example (if you don't want to place them visibly in your room)

Perhaps heating a house could be possible by having the game calculate an area around a heat source. From there give each block in that area a hypo/hyperthermal value, of course since would be in three dimensions the game would calculate a volume. Preventing the heat from going through building could be done by having the game determine if an object (block, plank, beam) is within heated dimensions. Then based upon material of the obstruction a value could be subtracted from the thermal value.

Given everything else going on with the game at the moment, this would be a pain to implement where it wouldn't cause lag.

• Totally get the struggle of staying warm while working in a cold house. Have you considered investing in a good heating system, like a centralized radiator setup? It's way more efficient than scattered campfires and keeps the whole space warm. Check out Radiator Village; they have some fantastic options. I got one for my home office, and it's been a game-changer.

• Perhaps heating a house could be possible by having the game calculate an area around a heat source. From there give each block in that area a hypo/hyperthermal value, of course since would be in three dimensions the game would calculate a volume. Preventing the heat from going through building could be done by having the game determine if an object (block, plank, beam) is within heated dimensions. Then based upon material of the obstruction a value could be subtracted from the thermal value.

Given everything else going on with the game at the moment, this would be a pain to implement where it wouldn't cause lag.

i do like the idea of an enclosed space being encouraged/rewarded in terms of heat retention. like a campfire out in the open air shouldn't be as good at warming the player/surrounding space as one in a cave or building, imo. that sort of limitation makes it feel more rewarding to build a proper shelter, and gives the game a nice cozy vibe, too.

ich kann nur ein bisschen deutsch sprechen (mehr lesen). fur alles andere, es gibt google translate.

any blueprints i share are free to use however you want (aside from selling them obviously), but i would love to see what you do with them, and be sure to credit me when you share projects that involve my work.

Bitte verlinken Sie zurück zu meinen Blueprint-Threads (oder erwähnen Sie zumindest meinen Namen), wenn Sie Projekte hochladen, die meine Arbeit verwenden.

• Perhaps heating a house could be possible by having the game calculate an area around a heat source

The thing is that calculation of area is not fast task. The hardest part is defining a shell formed by all construction elements around source, and calculation of that shell (most likely) can't be done in real time. That means that heat will be not obstructed by walls (as Red mentioned above), and most likely will be not in closest future

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!