Behind the game

• red51  KingGenius

Can you guys do a little video sometime showing us how you make the game? Like a behind the scenes kind of thing, showing how you make certain things for the game.

Perhaps have a live Q&A for curious players? You’d set up a way for players to submit any questions, and then you’d answer them in a live steam on YouTube or something. You may want to speak german, but have English subtitles?

I, myself am very curious and eager to see more about how you both make the game!

• Of course we could share more details about development, but unfortunately we don't have much spare time for setting up live streams or creating videos which are only relevant to a very small fraction of the community :/

• I hope that there will be a little spare time? Perhaps on a holiday? 😃

We haven't had a vacation last year (except the days between Christmas and New Year), so no, unfortunately that doesn't work. However, if you have any specific questions about development, feel free to ask :)

I'd suggest looking up videos on people making stuff with Unity - that can give you an idea as to how red51 & friends develop RW.

Actually our workflow differs very much from the standard authoring way in Unity. Just like the Java version, almost everything is done programmatically (except things like animations, textures etc) ^^

• We haven't had a vacation last year (except the days between Christmas and New Year), so no, unfortunately that doesn't work. However, if you have any specific questions about development, feel free to ask :)

Actually our workflow differs very much from the standard authoring way in Unity. Just like the Java version, almost everything is done programmatically (except things like animations, textures etc)

When i heard that the game is going with Unity i was thinking if you are going to take the asset aproach that is offered in Unity Store like Map Magic 2 for infinite world, Digger Pro for digging and also MicroSplat to cut the time that it will take to actualy get the game to Unity, i am a bit curious, have you guys build everything from scratch or more to say migrated from Java once you moved to Unity?

• When i heard that the game is going with Unity i was thinking if you are going to take the asset aproach that is offered in Unity Store like Map Magic 2 for infinite world, Digger Pro for digging and also MicroSplat to cut the time that it will take to actualy get the game to Unity, i am a bit curious, have you guys build everything from scratch or more to say migrated from Java once you moved to Unity?

Currently we're mostly staying away from the asset store. We took a look at some assets but most of them aren't really suitable for a game like RW (procedural voxel world with multiplayer). We would give away too much control by using them, so we decided to create most stuff from scratch ;)

• Currently we're mostly staying away from the asset store. We took a look at some assets but most of them aren't really suitable for a game like RW (procedural voxel world with multiplayer). We would give away too much control by using them, so we decided to create most stuff from scratch ;)

Very interesting indeed, It will be really nice to hear/see in the near future how your unity infinite terrain will going to handle the Splines for rivers/lakes and stuff like that, Objects like randomly dungeons above ground and underground, and also the Biomes.

• Perhaps have a live Q&A for curious players? You’d set up a way for players to submit any questions, and then you’d answer them in a live steam on YouTube or something. You may want to speak german, but have English subtitles?

I, myself am very curious and eager to see more about how you both make the game!

red51
    I think a lot of us are just curious what you look like and wanna see your workstation ;)

I like the idea of live sessions. I know that I and others have brought this up before but maybe a Patreon channel? :-D

• Just a random thought about the videos being good for only a small part of the community, I think you'd build your player base if you started doing devlogs or video logs somehow as people would have reason to back the game more rather than just a pre existing player base and occasional people who stumble across it?

Development logs are very popular especially when you've already got a great game!

Just a thought :P

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!