Drones

• On a happier note I'm going to share something we can all enjoy. Was talking with Zfoxfire after a mentality check so I thought I'd finally share it here, something I've been meaning to do before hand.

For the longest while I wanted a drone, finally obtaining one on January 12, 2021. I wanted one for basic photography and videography (though mainly pictures). Not 'pro' level, just well enough to match a smartphone quality (5 mp) and to do panorama. The basic stuff. I wanted to see things from angles I haven't seen before, so I purchased the 'DJI Tello'.

Its a neat little drone on a basic, yet semi-pro level. It has up to 13 min battery life time, enough to do what you need to do for quick fun. If you ever want to fly more you simply get more batteries. Its however very "touchy" needing proper care because it tantrums easily.

To fly the drone at its fullest I have to use the 'Tello FPV' app because the main one is on a basic level. It doesn't connect fairly easily.

The app allows you to see what pattern it flew, and etc. The long line is when I flew it the 'long' way while the green and yellow is when I flew it up for panorama shots.

(1st Pano: My first Pano at roughly 14 feet showing a windy landscape near where I venture.)

(2nd Pano: A very windy day showing a very wobbly panorama shot.)

The 'Tello FPV' app allows the Tello to take 10 shots for a panorama allowing the 'Bimostich' app to stitch it together. My only goal is to have fun, see what i normally don't see, and to do things "good enough". I don't want to go "pro", that's for later when life settles.

----------------

DJI Tello is a drone I'd recommend, though if you want to bounce further I have two others I shared Zfoxfire which you guys may be interested in.

- FIMI Portable Quadcopter:

https://www.amazon.ca/FIMI-Por…+SE&qid=1609638147&sr=8-2

- Mavic Mini (any):

https://www.dji.com/ca/mavic-mini

If you want to learn more about RCs & Drones then check out 'Captain Drone' who lives on the other side of the city than me.

https://www.youtube.com/channe…RuPifODAiW8zSLXs2A/videos

he makes awesome videos.

• Had some nice decent weather today with it feeling like spring. By the time I went out with my drone (2-3 hours later) the good weather decided to get windier so my poor Tello struggled in the wind. It gave me both wind and wi-fi errors so some of my collections of images ended up being messy.

First panorama is 7/10 stitched. It refused to give me 8-10 images because of a wifi interference so you have an 70% complete pano.

Second Panorama is 10/10, but the wind played a factor here. Its a nice tough drone though.

------

Separate images used as pano shots and similar. The warmer weather is helping with my Tello having a longer battery life.

1) Water treatment dig sight I was curious about

2) Dig sight I was curious about.

3) Dig site with dirt mounts having grown bigger over the winter.

4) Previous spot I went to review my Tello. Higher in height (17 m) seeing downtown Ottawa in the middle left in the back.

That was fun and I'm now left with a 60-80% charged Tello. With the warmer weather I'm probably going to do what I wanted to do, hopefully with the wind playing fair.

If you want to see actual "pro" type scenic pictures from me then you have to wait till late Spring and summer to see the beauty. Hopefully I'll have a chance to do so. :monocle:

• Spring drone flying time!

Was a nice day after all the rain and snow we had. Crazy April weather. Good day to fly my Tello again. Panorama attempt below.

9 km/h wind gusts today, gradually increasing as time went on.

Then a few pano slices making the above panorama image. Found a lovely section along the bike path.

Below: Destroyed building having been scrapped. Allegedly an ex-church, now an empty lot.

View of something I know in the distance. Random to you folks, familiar to me.

Set the images as thumbnails. Good luck getting a full screen out of them. Now, its gonna rain for the next few days. I can't wait till we get drones in Rising World, IF we are going to get any. Would be fun.

• - Sunny Stormy Cycling & Drones:

Well, we have summer weather now and it tried to thunderstorm today during the time I desired to head out. Went cycling around my old area from a year ago before I was displaced by 2020's madness to come to terms with it, and to go down memory lane. Flew my drone in two places because one of the spots was requested and another was desired by me.

Panorama behind a school (Regina School):

(Had wifi interference, probably from the wind. Only took 3/10 pano shots)

Blog posting:
    https://arcticukitsu.com/Blog/?p=6075

---

(Duschness Rapids Lookout)

------

And then theres a few single shots which stand out on their own.

(Teens chillin out; My bike on the left)

(Old woman feeding the birds, even though you shouldn't. Probably feeding it the wrong thing also.)

• But Wait, there is more!
    (Commercial tone)

------------

- Park-Ish Dirt Bike Slide Area:

Went to a nearby park-like area with a propped up area, a dirt bike area for cycling, and even a slide area during the winter. I'm not good with heights being a shut-in so I need to re-acclimate to these heights. I kept panicking, more so because it was +30 celcius that day. Roasting. Granted, I was also stupidly wearing a sweater because of extra pockets. I went down and even back up the hill. Going back up nearly murdered me. Felt fire in my throat, heavy breathing.

But yeah, I feel these images are worth it. 3 panoramas from one 10 min charge and 1 extra shot of police patrolling the area in a casual manner. They headed to where I was taking images. In the last (3rd) image you can see it protrude upwards in a square. That is originally where I was going to take my panorama. The wind wouldn't allow my tiny Tello to do so. I kept fighting and speculating.

Saw two potheads in the area so that may explain why we have these community service police folks roaming around. These are community based law enforcements, not actual police I'm aware of. I simply came here for the panorama and the view, that's all. It felt sketchy, I gained what I came for. 8)

-----

Edit:

Having fun with Bimostitch artificially making wide images. This is awesome, I'm in a hyped mood now.

(Restitched Panorama of the third image above. Tried to have the hill on the far left, its instead in the middle now.)

(The area I wanted to originally fly my drone on top of. The elevated square area.

I'm just having too much fun going back through my images haha! :nerd:

• Interesting building. What is it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlington_Park

Carlington Hill[edit]

One of the most notable features being Carlington Hill (frequently called Dulude Hill),[6] a large hill with long gradual slopes. Part of it was formerly a ski hill with a tow lift (known previously as Anne Heggtveit Hill),[7] but is now used as a City of Ottawa approved sledding hill.[8] The western part of the hill was quarried for limestone, which was crushed and used as lime for the production of cement.[9] The former quarry is now used as a city snow dump. Also, on top of the hill is the Carlington Heights Reservoir and Pump Station which supplies approximately one third of the city's water. Urban forests and green spaces surround the park, but are often frequents victims of dumping.[10]

----

I never did show you the quarried part, only the hill itself. According to wiki is a Reservoir and Pump Station. Makes sense.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!