Super Noob, asking about future tutorials

• Hey guys/gals. I have played the game for many years, and have played with friends and family, as well as a few servers I have had the pleasure of visiting!

I felt it time to contribute, like adding models, recipes, to enhance this brilliant game.

Then I get here, and I have NO IDEA about what an API is, or does LOL!! So I was hoping for a basic tutorial on how to import a cube, as most of my experience in "modding" comes from Quake and Unreal tournament 3 lol!

I do have some experience with blender, and I would love to try importing a door model. I do have an understanding of "parenting", but I have no idea what I'm looking at in the directories.

Is there a noobie thread or video that goes over these things in step by step detail? Thank you in advance, and blueprinting is phenomenal! I am so happy this game exists.

• Hello,
    Since the plugins have only recently been added and they are still under construction, there are currently no beginner courses.
    Parts of the API are still under construction
    There will certainly be examples and tools for beginners and beginners in the foreseeable future

"Simple" models from *.OBJ or *.FBX will also be possible with the next update, so far something like this is only possible with the bundles via Unity

In general, it will make sense to deal with the bundles, as this provides significantly more options (VFX) than are possible with *.FBX

Here's a start new-plugin-game-objects

I have collected everything that is already available in the forum for plugins code schnipsel

• Hey Grimm! First off, I'd highly recommend learning the basics of programming without modding a game first. Take a look at this Codecademy course for Java. It's a beginner level course and will cover a lot of what you'll need to know before you start modding games. You can also start modding something like Minecraft first, as it has lots of tutorials and reference material to get you up and running quickly! Once the Application Programing Interface (API) for RW matures, I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot more great resources for it.

• Hello,

Im also just hanging on the sides waiting to be able to start contributing lol. I can program in python and know about API's, databases etc but have no experiance of full on game modding.

I thought Unity was a C++ language? wouldnt that be the best one to learn or are mods generall written in java which integrates somehow?

• Hello,

Im also just hanging on the sides waiting to be able to start contributing lol. I can program in python and know about API's, databases etc but have no experiance of full on game modding.

I thought Unity was a C++ language? wouldnt that be the best one to learn or are mods generall written in java which integrates somehow?

Unity is a game engine written in C#. C# is similar to java in many ways, but is distinct in many ways as well. It's not really similar to C++ except for in base syntax of the language. The rising world modding api uses Java for backwards compatibility with the old non-unity java version of the game. Java (and C#) both run in a similar way. Java runs on something called the JVM which allows the same Java code to run anywhere the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) has been ported to (which is a lot of places). C# compiles to an intermediary language that is run by the Just-In-Time (JIT) compiler, and achieves a similar effect to the JVM. Unity itself is built on C++ for speed, but its not necessary to know it at all to effectively develop and mod games. If you know python, it might be worth looking into the Kotlin language, as it also runs on the JVM and has complete interoperability with Java, with a (in my opinion) superior syntax that is similar to a mix of C#/Java and python. I'm not sure if the rising world API supports Kotlin in Unity, that would be a question for the dev.

• When is a mod not a mod?

When it is a plugin.

Seriously though, the two are very different.

A mod "modifies" the games code. A plugin on the other hand extends the games code via API hooks.

A game mod would need to be installed on a client whereas a plugin can run on the server without the client needing to install/*modify* anything. Mods are harder to maintain as they require a lot of maintenance as new game versions are released, whereas plugins generally work from update to update. Depreciation of methods is usually a very slow process...

I just feel we shouldn't lose this distinction between the two.

Stupid tech rant over.

(I"m going a little crazy waiting for next API update) :crazy:

• Also would like to contribute :D

Though I haven't played the new version much yet as I've been busy learning game Dev at Uni. I've used unity for the past 3 years and understand the basics of C# ( Kind of :hushed:) Been modelling for about 5 years... Actually little bit of everything for 6 years now. Love it!!

Looking forward to the chance to create and share. Will be checking these forums for updates on when that'll be possible.

Happy Building :):D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!