External Server suggestions?

• I've been wondering what would be a good external device to host a Rising World server? It doesn't have to allow access to the real world, it can be a LAN thing. Not a straight up computer, just something to hide in a room somewhere to allow myself (and maybe a few trusted folks) to play Rising World on. I've took a quick skim on Amazon.ca, Bestbuy, etc. I even looked at Raspberry Pie, among other gadgets.

I can't trust my computer (in the heat), nor do I want to have my Steam Deck struggle with Rising World. Having an external server would help, though need an idea as to what to seek.

If I don't get any assistance then I guess it is what it is. People enjoy villainizing one another, though testing the waters to see if anybody wants to help out. Would consider jumping back on Nitrado, though want to have something on my end so I don't accidentally hit a ToS issue relating to posters, image types, etc.

:thinking:

• I know you said not a staight up computer, but why not? Cheapest option, don't even need a dedicated video card installed as that is not needed for a game server (just use the igpu common on most CPUs these days)..

I suggest at minimum a quad core CPU or more, 16GB RAM or more, SSD (solid state drive, they are fast and cheap). Can package into a small form factor case.

If you are using it for LAN only, no need to open ports on your router.

If you insist on small form factor, this would be way more than adequate: https://www.geekompc.com/geekom-as-6-mini-pc/

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• I tinker around with Rasbreey's from time to time, have already tried some services on it (Own Cloud, MC Server)
    But I haven't tried a WR server yet, because I think there's not enough power overall. (for a public server)
    My server isn't really big yet (built a lot), but it already needs 1GB+ of ram on idle on Windows. But here I see the limitation.
    In theory, it should be enough for 1-3 players.
    I hadn't thought about a small system yet.
    I'll dig one out and try to set up a WR server, it may take a while:D

• ive been toying with a few hp/dell soc thin clients. got them for 10 usd and they only draw 10 watts. they leave alot to be desired tho. but if its only for a private server for yourself it should be ok.

• I know you said not a staight up computer, but why not? Cheapest option, don't even need a dedicated video card installed as that is not needed for a game server (just use the igpu common on most CPUs these days)..

I suggest at minimum a quad core CPU or more, 16GB RAM or more, SSD (solid state drive, they are fast and cheap). Can package into a small form factor case.

If you are using it for LAN only, no need to open ports on your router.

If you insist on small form factor, this would be way more than adequate: https://www.geekompc.com/geekom-as-6-mini-pc/

Why not a straight up computer?

I'm running out of room, and I'm not living in my own home (coworker roommate stuff). It's a space issue and a "reliability" issue. I need something external, yet "compact". It's impossible to buy a home/apartment in Canada (thanks to fake political madness), yet still allowed to have my entertainment to keep me sane.

I'll make note of what you said relating to the Geekom stuff.

I'll keep poking around, even waiting to see what Red51 himself suggests. Not in any rush, we still need more updates before we can really do anything. I at least am curious about options. Been desiring to have these external servers for awhile now.

• I re-read yours but still not convinced you see my point. :) hahaha sorry

*edit: it takes less resources for a RW game server than a client who has to render the game in

real time (unless you have many players on said server at once).

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• What Juggernaut linked you to is 12cm x 13cm x 6cm. You'll have a hard time finding anything smaller than that which is also capable of running a game server. At a minimum, you need a motherboard, CPU, RAM, and an SSD/HDD to run a server. $659 USD is about as cheap as that hardware gets unless you're sourcing older/used parts.

Also, you'd probably get more help on things if you didn't antagonize people in your posts before they've even had a chance to offer you help or go on unrelated tangents about politics that no one asked or commented about. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Green Valleys - PvE Survival - Land Claims/Portals/SetHome - discord.gg/EQ6a9mb

• You won't really find something compact "AND" reliable to run 24/7.

If a SFF PC is "too big" the only other option is a MFF, or as mentioned - a Pi. But I'm not sure that would be powerful enough? (I may be wrong - would love someone to prove this!)

Having said that, would I want to run a server on a MFF? Oh hell no.

On the other hand, if your computer is powerful enough you could use Hyper-V and run a VM. Then no more hardware needed and everything is seperate.

People enjoy villainizing one another

I'm not sure if you're talking about the RW community here? :huh: I've been using the www since '95... what I can say is that this is the nicest community I've ever interacted with. <3

• What Juggernaut linked you to is 12cm x 13cm x 6cm. You'll have a hard time finding anything smaller than that which is also capable of running a game server. At a minimum, you need a motherboard, CPU, RAM, and an SSD/HDD to run a server. $659 USD is about as cheap as that hardware gets unless you're sourcing older/used parts.

Also, you'd probably get more help on things if you didn't antagonize people in your posts before they've even had a chance to offer you help or go on unrelated tangents about politics that no one asked or commented about. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

That's fine, and I'm actually eyeing that gadget now. As I said, I thanked him for the gadget keeping it on my "wishlist" to see if I can go through with it, or if other things need priority now. It is what I am indeed looking for and I'm happy for the suggestion.

As for your part 2 about allegedly "antagonizing people", not everything is my fault. I know we live in a society where people desire to strongly shame and insult people to which I want no part in that. I'm not a black sheep as much as people desire. I know Western society is filled with that, I want nothing to do with that, hence why I have a strong Anime influences. I desire my escapism. About your political accusations I want people to be normal and traditional, yet we live in such a far lonelier society than ever before.

Again, not everything is my fault in this world as much as people keep insisting it is.

• Yeah, the gadget that was linked is indeed the perfect size. I can put it in a random corner of this current home (or a future apartment, if I'm allowed to have one). The main issue was the overheating during summer, computer aging, etc. Desired a more unified front to which I can simply rely on a secondary device instead of having to worry about Nitrado ToS, or other hassles. Maybe it isn't an option, I'll still however look into it.

I wouldn't run it 24/7, maybe a few hours a day while turning it off at night, or something. A small private gathering. The gadget which was shown is on the right path.

----

And yes, I'm talking about the Rising World community.

1) I always butted heads with one user who kept being far more political than I am, yet I'm always the black sheep because I don't follow the narrative.

2) When I bookmarked a tweet on my Rising World Discord group, and was depressed, I was kicked down even further while getting yelled and and screamed at for sharing that tweet (for myself). I wanted nothing to do with that person anymore. Everything always had to be my fault, and for all the wrong reasons. I was being gaslit and shouted at. I was being kicked down even noting I wasn't feeling well and in the mood. They didn't care, they kept kicking and screaming at me. They saw weakness and they bullied me that night. I hate them for that. The tweet wasn't meant for them, and I even forgot what tweet it was. It was a random tweet. Nothing to do with them.

3) Various folks on the Steam Forum (and here) would mock my suggestions for automated musical instruments, or mounted moose, or things I would see in Asian Games and Japanese games. Just fun side-entertainment suggestions to which they were suggested as plugins.

4) Constantly gaslit, mocked, ignored, and treated like a black sheep. Everything is always my fault, never the other person's fault.

It's honestly no wonder Weem and Vortac left side-lined Rising World. Granted, the Freedom convoy thing on the fan discord was when Canadians fought back for actual freedom, yet we live in a gaslighting society to which "no fun allowed" exists. Yeah, it's perfectly fine to live on a street. Nobody is allowed to be human anymore. That was a one time incident, yet it sped things up showing who was an instigator and who was a true Rising World fan. It made me more wary of people as well when I was also thrown under the bus time and time again. I guess I shall continue to be on the sidelines seeing what I can do for Rising World from the shadows. Yes, I do poke on here, I'm still curious who is human and who is an instigator.

I've made note of studios treating their fanbase like a bunch of turds (mainly western ones) to which only overly traditional Europeans and Asian gaming studios have survived. People want their escapism, and I'm happy those games are thriving, along with Rising World. I'm glad Rising World is still a proper game, and for proper escapism reasonings, something Western games now fail now more than ever, even intentionally. People simply want to escape into a game world, and I'm happy for those people, not the corrupted studios. If you don't call them out nothing gets fixed.

I want to have fun in Rising World. I want to bring what's good in other games into Rising World thanks to how homely and peaceful Rising World feels. Sadly, too many people are caught up in fakeness to the point it clouds their own enjoyment while stifling other people's fun. Hopefully people will realize Rising World is being stunted to which we can have fun again, similar to how Minecraft kept pushing the Bukkit boundary, etc. If fun can be had then we should do it instead of "It's stupid, you need to feel like a turd" type comments.

Because everything always has to be allegedly my fault I even distanced myself from the Discord fangroup. If folks want to ruin that then go ahead, I want nothing to do with that fan discord group either. I'm simply here to take advantage of Rising World's customization options, and because it's a great game.

I do agree on the 'honey and vinegar' part. People always seek out blood, and I've seen it time and time again. I simply feel constantly betrayed. If things mellow out (if people want to be friendly again) then things shall become better again. Rising World shall do better once people take actual action, not the fake ones they've noted in threads by saying they won't help fun Rising World, they only want to do it via words.

I don't know what to expect in the future though. It'll be a wild ride.

----

Look, I'm genuinely thankful for the server suggestions. I'm making note of it. I really am.

https://www.geekompc.com/geekom-as-6-mini-pc/

If future updates pan out positively, and if the standards of living improve, I'll obtain something like this sooner than later. That is, if we're allowed to live like humans again.

• I want to mark this thread as "resolved", yet am open to more proper suggestions. I'll do my own digging on the side.

I'm even going to keep brainstorming as to how else I can keep adding onto Rising World from the sidelines. Once the time is right I may obtain the suggested gadget, or even obtain a more accessible one. Life is sending people on the streets so I may be forced not to even get one. We'll see what happens, but I am thankful to those who actually helped out.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!