Connecting to server 10% load issue (ongoing)

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.1 (2024-09-02)
  • Hi red51 , will it be possible to add extra info into the logs for when the new update comes out?

MR still gets 10% loading errors. The only fix is to restart the RW server.... which always works until it strikes again ;( (so it's not like I have to restart the OS or reboot a router).

We get the

:::: SERVER: CLIENT X CONNECTED (0.0.0.0)

:::: SERVER: CLIENT X CHANGE STATE (Uninitialized -> Connected)

PlayerAuthRequestReceived (Player, UID, 0.0.0.0)

But instead of getting next bit...

[AuthenticatePlayer] - [TIMESTAMP] - UID Player [DATA]

We get...

[ENET SERVER] Client X disconnected (0.0.0.0)

This seems to happen totally randomly. I've got Wireshark waiting now for the next time... but I'm not convinced that will shed more light... X(

Has anyone else had this 10% load issue for players? It's becoming a real pain.

• Has anyone else had this 10% load issue for players? It's becoming a real pain.

Only time I've had this issue is because not enough memory is allocated for the server (in java)

Adding additional 2048 via server.properties usually fixes it.

Reboot will work also but only temporarily until you up the allocation.

In unity, the memory is handled a lil different (not just 1 setting like java). Here is a snippet of what I use (in server-properties):

# Amount of seconds until an unused chunk gets disposed. Low values reduce memory consumption, high values improve performance

Settings_ChunkLifeSpan=120

# If true, the database runs in RAM (faster) and is only stored periodically on disc. Increases memory usage (default = false)

Database_InMemory=True

MAYBE TRY INCREASING THIS ONE BELOW FOR YOUR PLUGINS:

# Amount of heap memory (MB) for the Java VM. Default: 1024

Plugins_Memory=4096

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Hi Juggernaut

The allocations are already higher than the default settings.

Settings_ChunkLifeSpan=2400

Database_InMemory=True

Plugins_Memory=16384

The players are connecting (that's what happens up to 10%) but are not being authenticated. This does not happen all the time, it can happen a couple of times a day, or be fine for days on end.

The server resouces are at 1% CPU and 8% RAM. I don't think resources are an issue :/

• Settings_ChunkLifeSpan=2400

you may want t lower this to '240' not '2400' and could be the problem. :D Default is 120!

The players are connecting (that's what happens up to 10%) but are not being authenticated. This does not happen all the time, it can happen a couple of times a day, or be fine for days on end.

I just had to up my old java server some more 2 days ago for the same exact reason. 10% load issue .. even though the server showed low utilization. was fine for a month or two prior. Although, more players are actively on my java server lately thus requires more allocation. remember, memory leaks are a thing too.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

Edited once, last by Juggernaut ().

• Nope, still happening

I presume you are letting server auto restart every 12hrs via scheduler?

How long approx before 10% load issue occurs?

May try changing scheduler to auto restart every 8hrs (x3 a day). You have a highly modded server and may need it. Just some thoughts.

• Restarts are every 24 hours. However, the 10% I've known to happen before I've left for work in the morning, at which point the server will have been up for only a handful of hours.

The client connects, gets to 10% it's the authentication step which appears to timeout and then disconnect.

I've been on the server, with others, playing fine, when the 10% issue happens to joining players.

If I disconnect and then try to connect again at this point, the same happens to me.

A server (RW) restart is the only thing that fixes it (temporarily).

Not sure if this is relevant, but the server sits in a Virtual Machine, but having said that, the old java version of MR sits on a Virtual Machine on the same hypervisor.

The java server has no problems (runs off same Virtual Switch). This server is sometimes up for a week without a restart, and players connect to, and play on it still without issue.

• A server (RW) restart is the only thing that fixes it (temporarily).

This tells me it's a memory allocation issue. Also consider, still some core memory leaks remain until the game is better optimized (not to mention plugin related).

All we can do for now is more frequent restarts and fine tuning of memory related settings.

You could try running your unity server bare metal vs VM to see if that is the issue (and / or make sure VM is allocated enough RAM to run both).

I've noticed RAM server usage goes up approx 1GB+ for each player connected FYI --- (memory leak would mean often times when they disconnect those resources are not always released)

Edited 2 times, last by Juggernaut ().

• I think this may be resolved.

If the issue does not come back in the next week, I'll post what caused the issue.

Sounds like what is happening with my server........ been happening for several days now.

I may be the only one on the server, then someone else joins and within 10 minutes we get a disconnect and cannot get back on until I restart the server.

Despite everyone being kicked off, multiplayer states 1 person is still on.........

Left a post in the help section for Red to look at.

Modded Rising World 2024

Now running : 100 Player Game Server With My New Modded Rising World

• I think this may be resolved.

If the issue does not come back in the next week, I'll post what caused the issue.

Please have a look at your log files and see how many npcs you have on the server......

In 3 days after rebuilding the server I managed to get 9992 npcs running around the server.

Other server owners are apparently deleting npcs from the server every few days.

Hope this helps.

Modded Rising World 2024

• If I'm not mistaken when an NPC isn't in render distance they are in a "Sleep" state. so the high NPC count is really hurting as they are sleeping. tho we would need red51 to let us know about that for sure. but if this is the case, sleeping NPC"s don't have an effect on performance as their info is not updated until they are awoken. if this is not the case then yes the NPC thread would be heavy trying to move 10k NPC's smoothly at once.

• If I'm not mistaken when an NPC isn't in render distance they are in a "Sleep" state. so the high NPC count is really hurting as they are sleeping. tho we would need red51 to let us know about that for sure. but if this is the case, sleeping NPC"s don't have an effect on performance as their info is not updated until they are awoken. if this is not the case then yes the NPC thread would be heavy trying to move 10k NPC's smoothly at once.

All I know is that the server was saying there was 9992 NPCS on the server.... when someone logged into a new area of the server that number probably went up. 2 days ago it was 8000 npcs,........ today 9992....... hopefully fixed with the update Red has put out.

Modded Rising World 2024

• I've never deleted any NPCs. I think there are 10's of thousands of them...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!