Lake & Ocean Ponderings

• Yes, I know it's too soon while also borrowing requested features for Minecraft into Rising World. Also wanted to post these because someone made an interesting post in how to make Rising World more appealing to unknowing gamers. I guess you could look at Stranded Deep for this one. My mindset was more on a Minecraft & Skyrim tone.

• Sea Vegetation - Adding in basic vegitation for things like sushi would go a long way. Things like corral, seaweed, kelp, and etc to line the lakes, oceans, ponds, and various water spots. Ignored in Skyrim while adding some interesting atmosphere & resourcefulness in Skyrim. Even harvesting shell-based sea-life would be interesting to spot.
    • Sea life & Whales - Go crazy with adding whales, bigger fish, and even foreign water-based entities. Adding life to these would be awesome while also using as resources. Could even be tied in with boats and weaponry for another source for resources. Things like oil, meat, and exotic goods.
    • Shell-Based Entities - Adding in shell-based entities to smack off submerged walls, sea-floor, and on the coastline would be handy for those sea-based survivalist. Even as an 'exotic food' for those creating cities on servers. Would have to make sure that you can harvest them to grow them, farm them, even grow them in size. Oysters being the main with less known shelled for the wall-covered blocks. if they can even attach themselves onto boats then even more respect.
    • Shipwrecks - Doesn't have to be fancy, nor does it have to be shipwrecks 100%. Can be as simple as shells of ships, weapons, decayed containers, and even ships themselves. Era of shipwrecks could be randomized from wooden to iron based. Simple merchant ships & explorer ships. Anything more complex could be left for modding.
    • Water-sided Natives - We should be able to find humanoid natives visibly farming, even going out boating and back. When you leave and come back they should even randomize their position. Bonus points if we can barter with them.
    • Boats & Effects - During stormy conditions one should find themselves in foggy-stormy conditions that may even find themselves having their boats crystallize with ice. Knocking ice off the boats in cooler climates should be a must. Having chests in boats is a must. Being able to walk on boats should be a must.
    • Modern Boats + GPS - Modern era boats should have an updating computized map of the region they visited. Merchant ships, if they shall be added, should have an interactable map by adding icons & lines. (Silent Hunter 3 as example).
    • Small-to-Large bodies of water - Don't be shy. If you populate the bodies of water nicely we can tolerate Minecraft's cursed 30,000 block ocean biomes. I shall be more than happy to sail from one 'Empire' to another Village or trader's in a boat of ancient or modern era, even if it takes a day. As long as there is sea-life, and boats have chests, then I shall gladly welcome small & massive bodies of water.
    • Fishing Rods + Fishing Nets - Fishing rods already confirmed so I'd suggest we should be able to craft human-sized fishing nets to gain a bonus at a penalty cost of needing boats, gear, or even needing to stay at the cost. Needing swimming gear + net could somehow balance it out with the fishing rod.
    • Damaged Boats To Wrecks - Damaged boats should turn into wreckage at the bottom of the water. Could break it apart piece-by-piece to salavage, or can leave it there to see the underwater wild-life reclaim their domain.
    • Boat Types - I'm expecting simple wooden boat & a luxury sail boat. Nothing too fancy from that. Anything more to be expected from mods. Even simple canoes and other types of simplistic vessels. Any 1+ person boat should also carry storage compartments, even canoes. Being able to carry goods is a must, and a gripe in Minecraft for not being able to do so.
    • Submarines - Suggested this with it considered positively. With deep bodies of water one needs submarines to explore deeper, even as a diving bell to gain at the resources. No breathing potion, more of a realistic form of underwater & above water transportation. Maybe even for hostilities.

Well.....No rush. Just as long as Red shows signs of care, and when we find ourselves needing to go fishing, even setting up trade-routes using ships then that would be awesome. Also, just so you know, I'm more focused on welcoming ores now so I don't mind if this takes forever. I'm curious to know what kind of ores we're getting, other than iron, to haul and hoard. Interested in ways we can even display our hauls.

• I like alot of the things suggested here. I think that water formations should be worked on next. The world doesn't just doesn't seem as lifelike without them. There is all this beauty and detail in the nature but we have no bodies of water to tie it in together. The only other request I can think of to work on next aside the water is getting ore in those caves to give digging and exploring more of a purpose.

• If Red feels crafty then I can expect all sorts of water formations to be had. Even the types of waves, or how they'll react when blowing in, or out. Tides and etc...That is if he can nail each one down and feels like it.

And you're lucky the next update shall have ores that'll nudge biomes into the update, or updates after that. Can't wait to see what kind of ores are to be had, and how they'll be added in.

• To add to this (without making a new thread) we should be very resourceful with fish. If Red's plan is to survive while fending off the elements on a physical and illness side of things is to use fish as both clothing & tools also [Food goes without saying]. We should be able to make use of fish by skinning a fair portion (all depends on fish size to one clothing part) of them to protect ourselves from the chilly environment, or to even simply assist with survival aspects of things. If necessary, adding fish bones as tools would be interesting.

http://english.cri.cn/4406/2007/08/06/1141@258247.htm & http://www.harbinice.com/photo…kin-clothes-of-hezhe.html

When people need to be, they'll use everything at their disposal. Even riding Mooses around the map, if given that option. This could go a long way into even making use of whales and other sea-life in the world. I hope Red goes all out with this.

• <p>I like your list here it is very detailed :D</p>

<p>I agree with everything u've said above, but I would like to add like water mobs that will attack you like sharks.</p>

• I definitely want there to be in depth ways of using fish and other gifts from water sources/sea. When I would play Minecraft I often made buildings and formations around water formations so this is a pretty big thing for me at least. I stopped playing Minecraft because I got tired of having my huge creations get deleted and after playing it for years, I just got tired of the whole 'everything is a block' set up.

• Waterfalls, water mobs that attack you, and detailed water. Anything dealing with water and water biome I'll find Red needing to hit the local pub every night. If he wants to to all out, if it's even his desire, then he's going to be chugging down liquor on a nightly or weekendly basis...If he isn't already. Like a sailor! :P

Hmm....I know we discussed this before but I can't help imagine building ships on a shoreline. Not built in a box, or in a crafting grid either....Just imagining a ship sailing after you've built it by hand, out in the open. You're given these ship hulls that you build up through skeletons, add the hull, the features and etc. You build it up while seeing your progress of it. When you're done you'll nudge the boat into the water by hitting it with a bottle of ceremonial liquor bottle that could activate the code itself. You'll then happily sail the high-seas.

What I'm expecting to build:
    - Canoes - For your River & lake explorations. 1-5 people can get into one while also having a storage container on them somewhere.
    - Fishing Boats - For your fishing needs (to catch all sorts of sea-life). To catch all sorts of sea-life, even those small whales. (Must contain a large storage container)
    - Sail Boat - Similar to those found in Grand Theft Auto 5, or any. Something more 'casual' and 'luxurious' for the modern era. These ones can contain a mix of native tribe boats, 'European' sail boats, and even the modern ones found in GTA 5. Whatever red goes for, I do hope it's a fun one to take advantage of the high-seas.
    - Cargo Boat - A vessel that'll be a merchant ship for mutliplayer maps. If building a railway is tough, and if players want the easy merchant/cargo ships then they should be able to. Not expecting anything massive....If it fits in the Danube then it should work in this game. Basically a Cargo Barge, a River Speeder, or something along those lines. These boats should be able to carry up to 20-50 storage chests worth of cargo, even liquids. This idea would be supported if Red considered pairing up these boats with 30,000 meters worth of oceans (1 hour journey). They should have the option to store anything that we shall be able to use.
    - Coal/Steam Boats (Bonus) - Having the 'iron-clad' type boats to steam around the map, spewing smoke everywhere you go. Hauling goods while staying safe from the elements. Sailing around in a fully iron boat with a wooden deck while being armed by old-school canons. This one is up for some 'fantasy' designs by merging a warship concept into merchant design, or just going designing a ship with a single smoke-stack. This ship MUST contain both cargo and fuel storage. Even a lovely coal engine. This is optional for how silly things can easily become having to be both below and above deck.

I'm imagining the biggest boat in Rising World being what is found in Europe's Danube River
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_L2jM…eX0k/s1600/LORETTA_03.JPG
    - Basically this being able to carry food, ores, liquids, and etc. If we can section off what cargo goes where then that would be helpful also.

- Bonus: Boat Customization:
    For customization I want to nudge Red (doesn't have to) into allowing us to build it up through a skeleton form. Building the keel, the skeleton, the hull, the bridge, and etc in parts. Basically having a ghost form that you have to find a flat section of land next to water (think dry docks) to then build it piece-by-piece. Building it inside a crafting table just cheapens the whole thing. This should be something 'big' players should enjoy themselves building. Building the stuff, even inserting what kind of cargo hold, or how to personalize it should reward the player nicely in the long run. Being able to colour the boats, name them, and etc should help personalize the boats. Adding a poster system on the mast would be interesting. The ship's own flag and emblem.

For passenger boats the players should instead be able to build it up straight up, then they can insert what items they want in a limited space. Being able to add flowers & pots, food, drinks, decorations, and etc. A luxury linear, in a way. Programming would be hell, and I'm not going to expect it right away. I just hope this is at least considered because sea-life is also a big thing in our world that may reward the players nicely for their survival needs. I would also leave any 'gigantic' boats to modding. I'm expecting the 'largest' being Danube sized 'giant' boats. The rest for modding.

---------

[Do note that I'm also trying to imagine what the future shall hold through modding also. Not just vanilla, but modding also. Just trying to expand thoughts also of the possibilities. I want this game to be awesome.]

• The ship idea is very neat too. I like the link that you provided as an example ArcticuKitsu on the biggest one to make. It seems like a larger ship that is realistic to this game's design. It's not humongous and it ascetically feels in place with the game. Minecraft did the little boat thing which is cute and all, but I feel that this game could benefit from more ship like boats.

• @Daredevil: I agree. Sailing with what you built on land next to water would be twice as awesome when seeing its skeletal form. I do hope they it it that way so you can see the reward before hits the high-seas :)

Nephy: Tried to imagine what Red would accept and came to that conclusion with Danube sized vessels. It's fitting, more so for mutliplayer. if Red does cave in and add bartering NPCs then imagine bulking up their storage with resources. This also going for player side stuff.

-----

I also wanted to make note that I hate how Minecraft treated boats, yet shied away from making note of that for always bringing up Minecraft. I want boats to be treated like actual boats in this game, even given a few varieties. This game can afford such, so I'd love to see this game being rewarding all around. Seeing your ship being built out in the open, sailing, even in variety. That be perfect!

• I'm hating my mind right now because it sees what Rising World could or 'might' be with what's listed on the 'features' page and etc. This one is on the modding side of things with me just groaning & facepalming at my own mind teasing the hell out of me.....It's harassing me with what could be added into Rising World once everything matures & settles in, even with the necessary ocean biomes.

HMCS Haida - http://www.hmcshaida.com/ - If I wasn't so modding-ignorant I'd be happily trying to add this beauty of a ship into this game to patrol the shorelines of whatever settlement in and around my area. Not in Anime manner, in it's actual ship shape. I'd happily sail it around in modern age with that bonus points earned from rigging the weaponry to fire appropriately. Imagining how I'd try and build it on a land's drydock to then flood the place and have it sail around the ocean biome, patrolling the coastline. Just the whole shape of it being seen from a nearby settlement catching other players off guard, or just seeing it sitting at port.

Bonus Points: Bonus points coming from making this vessel actually explorable within, even able to fire. Making the bunks sleepable, even able to store resources within. Even having enemy vessels to fire at. If anything, I'd expect German WW2 Destroyers to be in the game over HMCS Haida with the trio making this game, but on top of that I'd expect this to be a mod and not a vanilla item. If it was a vanilla item then holy hell, they'll gain a giant set of respect points from me alone.

Bonus #2 - Enemies: Oh, I don't know. Both Medieval & Modern era pirates with wooden, pure-iron, and even modern-era ships from WW1 till today. Take your pick at any 'common' enemy types. I'd be expecting wooden ships over anything else in vanilla context; Everything in modded context.

----

I'm just itching for another good naval game that Rising World just now hits all the awesome niches with the features planned and what is within it. It has what Minecraft struggled to reach with this being more appropriate in that more 'Skyrim' 3D appearance of medieval & modern-tech stuff. I can actually see this kind of mod being birthed with WW2 vessels being piloted around ocean biomes, even into lakes. Being built on land to then nudge into the waters. Building dry-docks to even have fun controlling the water to use real-world materials to repair ship damages.

My mind is evil that I'm picturing Rising World as a perfect base for having this 'easteregg' (even in modding context) to add Canadian & German vessels. Also, not to be rude, but Americans had way too much fun that I much rather see Canadian & German destroyers in this 'fun' idea for vanilla and/or modding. I hate my mind, but I'm now itching to see a Canadian Destroyer in RW. :P

(I hate being modding & coding retarded. Even when I try my mind brainfarts on almost everything coding wise. It's stopping me from adding so many fun things into various games.........)

• The big thing for me about fishing is that fish should actually be entities, and I should be able to throw them in a water bucket to keep them alive and eventually make my own glass aquarium(s).

Also there needs to be a reason (and a way) for me to dive and swim beneath the sea. Give me things to find there, building materials that aren't available on land, exotic monsters (giant squid? Jelly fish? Shark? Fishman village?) that provide unique materials and resources.

In certain similar games the ocean simply becomes a giant waste of space and I think that is a shame.

• Of course...But we can still nudge Rising World into an awesome game. I know it's "too soon", just that the itch for it is too strong. Biome update is next so it wouldn't hurt to consider it.

I`ve crossed from Blockscape to Rising World. Thats why I am very cautious whith suggestions... Everybody who knows what Blockscape is, knows what I am talking about...

• Game itself (Blockscape) is (was) outbreak in Minecraft clone games. So nice landscape, large number of different blocks, materials... almost perfect.. Only problem game has, is one develpoer whos not communicating with the community. Game was not more than a year updated. Moreover, developer announced complete turnover in game look (more blocky, minecraft look, because he cant solve some problems and bugs in current smooth world), which was not well accepted by the game community. You can look at its Steam page.... On the other hand, RW is done by German programmers, and considering that I am working with Germans, and I know how persistent they are, I am sure that game will be a release in the future, and not half finished and abandoned :)

• Game itself (Blockscape) is (was) outbreak in Minecraft clone games. So nice landscape, large number of different blocks, materials... almost perfect.. Only problem game has, is one develpoer whos not communicating with the community. Game was not more than a year updated. Moreover, developer announced complete turnover in game look (more blocky, minecraft look, because he cant solve some problems and bugs in current smooth world), which was not well accepted by the game community. You can look at its Steam page.... On the other hand, RW is done by German programmers, and considering that I am working with Germans, and I know how persistent they are, I am sure that game will be a release in the future, and not half finished and abandoned :)

Then we have nothing to worry about because Red knows whats up. Those clones are simply poor clones. I'm also trying to recommend things that make sense and it's always up to Red in the end to decide what he wants. I guess I may be highly obnoxious about it, but I'm only trying to help suggest things that 'might' be helpful in the end. And you have high praises for the Germans so there's also nothing to fear. We both know the Germans are to be well respected and to praise. It's the Americans I always have to fear, and even my fellow Canadians (Ubisoft) who also enjoys copying USA almost to the letter. They can't really create their own goodies because we're too docile of a nation. Red proudly showing that he actually cares about his game so right now there's little to no fear. I always get bitten hard by Americans that I have a strong dislike for them and when I see progress I always tend to praise the Japanese & Europeans the most, thus me having faith in Red from the results he is showing.

And again, I have high hopes for when Red does eventually jump into the ocean, lakes, and water side of things. No rush, no pressure. I'll take his updates as it comes while enjoying how much attention to detail each item gains. As long as he keeps open with his team while pushing for a great game to the very end then it's all in the green.

Lastly, I was made aware of a game called "From The Depths" with me leaning strongly on Red's idea of having vehicles being pre-built, yet customizable. It makes the most sense. I dislike what I'm seeing in that game, even if it does hit up on my favourite game genre (naval) in a Minecraft style of building. Neat idea, just too damn bulky. Do love the warfare in there, and the weapons. Just no..... I want to see what Red has planned to then nudge it elsewhere.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!