Winter, snow, tool Ideas

• Ok BIG idea here, This would be a perfect update for December

Winter - make it snow for a season maybe like 60 days in game or something out of like 365 days would be cool, aslo could be a cold factor to the survival part later where we need to build fire.

Snow - add a thin layer of snow like 1/3 of a blocks height to the ground and make it a bit slower to walk in. "like real life -_-"

Snow Shovel - swings fast like the rake and removes snow from ground and adds snow (Item) to inventory. Snow removal lasts maybe for 3-5 days in game

Snow (Item) - Craft Snowmen, Small Ice Hut, Cook into water (for the survival part), snow balls (X5 for 1) could do very little damage (Would be so fun with friends), Ice/snow blocks...All of these things melt when snow leaves

I put lots of thought into this xD to much time at work lol

• First of all, that would be pretty cool :thumbup: Snow and everything related to it is planned anyway.
    But since something like snow is more complicated than in a pure block game, I don't think we can implement it in such a short timeframe. Especially since we put all our time into the animals, and after the Steam release (containing the first animals), we want to add more animals and also monsters.

But we will keep it in mind, and let us see how far we get ;)

• Oh yes, seasons would be pretty cool. But that'll take a long time until it's in the game (because when we implement it, it should ofc also include spring, summer, autumn). Perhaps we add it to our "official feature list" on the homepage.

• cool, or instead of seasons could make a Mountain biome with snow peaks on them and big foot monsters or abominable snowman or even just angry snowmen lol. Could be good loot at tops of some mountains making the slow scary journey worth it and if there is nothing maybe you could see a peak that does have a little camp to raid

just simpler ideas

• Sounds interesting, especially with the aspect with special loot and special monsters (big foot ftw) :D Perhaps we add a biome which consists of one giant mountain, with a large summit area.

• what if there was like a seasonal count that could read your settings on the CPU so that in december snow comes, march spring could come, october and fall starts ?

• Seasons would be fine, but I'd hate to see a winter that lasts a real 3 months! I'd starve! A limited growing season would hurt too. I don't mind adding seasons to the game (trees turn, have to store food & firewood for the winter or you'd starve or freeze to death, etc.) but let's speed up the changes of the seasons some (ok, a lot).

• +10^100
    I never liked how other sand boxes copped out of full weather cycle.
    Give you a reason to hunt down raccoon dens for their winter stash of food and foraging for some wild potatoes in the snow...
    The seasons just need to be long enough to make a player think a little further ahead than the tip of their sword.

If you tie everything to a season scale value, you can then turn it over to the players and server admins to determine how long they want them to last.
    Like how long crops take to grow, animals/trees take to become full size could then be a based on that season scale.
    Larger the number, the longer the seasons and the more planning needed to survive the winter.
    I know it is a long way out, but something to keep in mind as you add the pieces that will make that possible.

• hehe you could always craft mason jars to put food into and use a basement to store them into for the winter months ahead, you could always buy some food from a player at his store , just means you'd have to hop into your snow mobile into town and bravely drive through a blizzard while your taking very little hurts that are caused by the frostbyte and wind hitting you if your snow mobile was the motorcyle type.

• I would have to agree. One feature I have wanted most in several games is a full four season cycle. I would need to start wearing diapers if it was done in RW. It would be great if players and admins could determine how long the seasons were. If that is too much to ask, then maybe make each season last a week or something and base everything on that (crop growing etc..).

Ideally I would want this: biomes placed like our planet, meaning there is an equator (dessert or savannah biomes etc..) and two polar regions (snow biomes). Then add in the seasons accordingly. There would never be snow in the dessert.. and there would always be snow in the arctic and antarctic. Or just from the equator to the north pole maybe, to make it somewhat less work. In the summer the snow melts up to the arctic biome, in winter the snow moves south. And of course the seasons would affect the rain.. (droughts in some regions during summer, more rain in general during spring and fall..).

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• I love this idea! Glad it's planned to be in, especially with seasons. What would make this the best would be the snow actually accumulating. That's the top of the list because I'm Canadian with it needing to be further drilled into the soul. For those that hate this should build in the tropical biomes. Be a snowbird, I say jokingly. Seeing snow building up, especially during a blizzard would be glorious when in your buildings or in an old-fashioned fancy cabin.

I'd happily try and gain access to snowmobiles, snowshoeing, skiing, and etc. Whatever option you allow us to do, I'll do it. I'll happily try getting lost in a scenery that allows for snow accumulating, needing to be shoveled, packed down, or similar. Best if there were no limits, or at least a loose limit of reaching a quarter up a tall pine tree. I wonder if anybody is up for ice fishing?

Bonus points if you can get the rarer freezing rain creating ice sheets into the game. Doesn't have to be from the start, just something to happen at random. Imagine slipping and sliding around heh. All those vehicles rendered useless from sliding, unless they have chains or those tank-like arctic vehicles.

• Totally agree with this, the seasons need to be long enough to be meaningful, not just set so you can wait out the winter without any preparations.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!