Primitive storage containers

• Oh, you do have the liberties *points to steam chat*. You're always so jumpy & excited when you get new bits of information heh.

I always keep breaking those useless scenic hedges when using my sickle & rake that it just goes 'poof'. It was there, now it's gone, that I wish it left something behind. And nice on the sticks & stones. I do hope the stones are unique though because you can simply get that by pickaxing under ground level + the sticks from using an axe to slice up the logs. I guess there'd be variety of ways to acquire them, or that I'd have to trust Red51 that he has a 'unique' way of doing such.

I also love how you have to now get primitive tools because that's where the fun is at. That's what made Minecraft vanilla fun, and that's what shall make Rising World fun. I'll still keep my 'Poi!' world, but I'll experiment using new worlds, or something. That feeling is the best when you work your way up from scratch, and why Euro Truck Simulator 2, Silent Hunter 3, and all those 'simulation', yet RPG type games work best :love: Flight Simulator missed out by just being a 'simulator' that's there, yet the other games get it. The progression. The journey is what makes it fun.

I'm glad you say that about plants & plant fibers because I strongly suggested Papyrus to help make boats, yet could also be used for maps & every day life type things. Just as useful as wood & cloth. Gathering fibers from grass & plants is a neat idea. The more properly complex this is the more me & my friend 'Nas (Nighthawk, in my images) shall experiment with this. We however need time to still settle in by having a proper building heh. I'm so glad Red51 is updating this nicely. A drying rack for meats is also something I can support, as well as a smoker to smoke meat to preserve them longer, or to give them an alternate appearance to play with. Smokers would work best to preserve meat when stuck in cooler biomes when you're struggling with food.

I'm also up for that grass idea. The one with the hand vs the scythe & sickle part. It brings a new interesting & necessary spin to the world.

• Hey all!

Vortac mentioned this thread (we chat regularly) so I thought I would drop in and say hello! It's funny this has come up as I was just in the game two weeks ago checking out the water update. I flew around a bit thinking about the game, and tested some things out trying to remember what was what, and it was fun ;)

For a long time I said I would come back when there was a larger update (the last video I did was just showing off the bears iirc) and the water update specifically was something I had been waiting for...

...Rising World may make an appearance again on my channel, perhaps even soon, I just need to think about what I want to do in there. Any suggestions?

UPDATE:

Wow, yea, it has been a long while. That last video I did (hostile animal update) was over a year ago... time flies!

• ...Rising World may make an appearance again on my channel, perhaps even soon, I just need to think about what I want to do in there. Any Suggestions?

Hey Weem! Happy to see you here!

How about building a small settlement, like on Wurm but scaled down? You could build an island fishing village in the middle of one of the amazingly beautiful lakes.

• I chatted with Red a few nights back and he confirmed that he is going to add sticks and stones. They're likely going to spawn randomly and can be picked up like in The Forest. Around that time, we will start a new game barehanded, without the iron axe and pickaxe. We will then have to craft primitive tools and work our way up to finally crafting that anvil.

A blunt plug to another thread of mines, which attempts to explain why the "improvements" described or implied above might not necessarily be a wise choice, at least not for everybody and not unconditionally. :whistling: ...

• A blunt plug to another thread of mines, which attempts to explain why the "improvements" described or implied above might not necessarily be a wise choice, at least not for everybody and not unconditionally. :whistling: ...

You've made some excellent points there and I'm actually trying to work out a map of our evolution through the ages. Right now, I think the focus of this thread is to put out some ideas for primitive crafting (Stone Age presumably). I'll try and get something out on that thread tonight. I'm trying to actually get work done at work and not daydream about Rising World! And your thread just opened up a big can of worms (that's a good thing tho.. this needs to be discussed if RW is going to really stand out from other crafting/survival games.

• I'm not at liberty to discuss this!! He's watching me! O_o

I agree that those useless hedges would be an excellent source of sticks. I chatted with Red a few nights back and he confirmed that he is going to add sticks and stones. They're likely going to spawn randomly and can be picked up like in The Forest. Around that time, we will start a new game barehanded, without the iron axe and pickaxe. We will then have to craft primitive tools and work our way up to finally crafting that anvil. I don't know exactly what (if anything) will be used for fibers. I know you and I brought up all sorts of suggestions about certain versatile plants (some of which are being implemented) but someone on Steam suggested gathering plant fibers from grass. Its a good idea to start with but I just assumed that tall grass was not exactly the strongest of plant fibers to use. The discussion came up in a thread about crafting hay bales. A suggestion for a drying rack for meats , thatch, and grass came up as well.

What does everyone else think about the grass idea? Let's say you grab the grass with your barehands to get plant fibers, cut the grass with the scythe to get tall grass for certain crafting needs such as hay bales, or use the sickle to get seeds for replanting (maybe the current tall grass icon could be replaced with grass seeds).

Grass + Loom = plant fibers ?...... or
    Grass Bale becomes craft-able in normal inventory with the shelter along with but not limited to.
    Basket
    Weave
    etc

Grass still plant able no seeds needed.

• Nah.. looms are used to combine strings or fibers, not extract fiber. But on a side note, you could use a loom to weave grass. I mean... the grass in the game is certainly tall enough!!! :-D

When we get into primitive crafting, everything primitive needs to be limited to the personal crafting section, not a workbench.

Something like this would be neat to weave out of long grass. When it dries out it would look nice. http://www.dreamstime.com/stoc…at-isolated-image19357113

For making haybales, there's lots of modern tools that you drag behind a tractor. As the grass is cut, its fed into the baler and the thing just automatically pops out a compressed hay bale whenever it gets full but I think for making a primitive one, its just a matter of using a pitchfork (we need one of those too) to make a pile

Maybe some additional recipies in the personal crafting menu will become dependant on which tool you are holding in your hand or have in your inventory

• I want that hat to cover my poor bald head.
    Agree personal craft station only for primitive stuff, I could take the grass around here and weave it with all the rain we have had, I use to think the grass in RW was to tall until I went two weeks with out mowing now I'm thinking Red should make it taller in wetter areas, could mark swamps nearby or areas of heavy rain fall.
    Speaking of weaving.....
    Wonder if he would add some crochet needles as a lesser loom of sorts for more primitive textiles.

Making hay bales now is certainly machine intensive however once you had to lay down a canvas toss the hay into a pile and roll it with the canvas, or use a box with wire or twine in it fill it up and mash it down then tie or twist it tight. That was just old man Hubert's methods there are likely others but I did that one summer for extra cash with an old farmer. Tossing small hay bales into the loft was fun and a hell of a work out, but the big ones are machine rolled.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!