Permissions not applying

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)
  • I'm a little confused about how the Area Protection script works in conjunction with the built-in permissions system. The permissions are largely untouched. Do I have to define group settings under permissions or can I manage everything exclusively in AP?

What I want to do is deny any guest permission to modify the world, then I want to set up areas for each player

Is there any documentation on how to properly use this script?

• i'm making progress. my issue is with the permission system, not the script. AP seems to work fine once i learned the basic permissions.

My issue is that everyone else (i am defined as admin is the server.config file) is not showing up with a group assignment. The default.permissions is not applying and when i copied that file into groups as Visitor.permissions, setting Visitor as tbe defauly group did nothing and the command to set a player to a group said that the group could not be found. :/

• ATM the Area Protection does not work along side the built-in permissions system they are too things apart oO

you need to think of the Area Protection as a land and object protector, where the permissions system is a user limiter it can stop users from doing stuff anywhere in the game and its more to do with tools and crafting.

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Hi Yahgiggle,

Yes. I eventually figured out the AP does not work alongside with the permission system, it only offers land protection. What I'm trying to do now is apply default restrictive permissions to all users. I guess after setting up area protection for a player, I then need to add them to a permission group to allow them to actually build.

So I have AP figured out now. However, I'm still stuck at getting the default.permissions file to apply. I also have a copy of default.permissions in the groups folder under a different name. However after restarting the server, the default.permisions do not apply to a user nor can I assign a user to the group defined under groups. setplayergroup returns an error that the group does not exist. so if the group file is Guest.permissions under group then the group name should be "Guest" in the command. Right?

• ok heres a file my own permissions setup for my server take a look at it and your get a good idea how to setup your own

Files

• permissions.zip

(7.31 kB, downloaded 210 times, last: )

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Oh well this is embarassing! many of those spaces in those files (which I must have copied from somewhere) had tabs instead of spaces. I fixed that and got atleast admin.permissions and default.permisisons to work. My other custom groups are not but I'll tinker with them some more when I have the chance to. I'm much closer now.

Thanks for your help Yahgiggle. sorry to bother you with something so silly like this...

Oh, I also noticed some of my yaml variables were appended with "info_"

e.g. info_shownametag instead of shownametag .. Are both of these acceptable?

• i do mine like shownametag: false / shownametag: true i have not tested info_shownametag

Maybe it works that way too but i know my way works lol

By the way don't be embarrassed to ask for such things, we all need help when we don't know stuff, that's just part of life

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • I'm embarassed becase I write ansible scripts at work so I am familiar with the YAML format. I obviously copied the file from a bad source and didnt bother to verify the format . because of that, I assumed the content was wrong, not the formatting.

Anyways, I encountered a problem with the AP3 script. a few areas disappeared after a server restart so i drew new ones. after another restart, some of them came back so i had some overlapping areas to fix. I will try to reproduce the error.

Also as far as strategy, I want to deny all non-admins permission to modify all area. i can do that in the permissions files but I assume that will also affect their assigned areas as well. So is there a way to create a global area with the AP script? I really need to study the script to understand what it does exactly.

• To change group permissions has no effect for the protected areas
    • What do you mean with global area? A server-wide area? It's possible to select area (i. E. a start point ) and then to teleport to coordinates to create area at that position (end point ). To use Areaprotection is similar to world edit, I think.
  • I want members of my server to be unable to make changes in unclaimed areas. So yes, a server-wide restriction but I was hoping to simply set a rule but if not then I'll make an insanely large box!

100,000 in each direction from the 0,0 and that should be enough :)
    The max build height is 250, right?

• I want members of my server to be unable to make changes in unclaimed areas. So yes, a server-wide restriction but I was hoping to simply set a rule but if not then I'll make an insanely large box!

100,000 in each direction from the 0,0 and that should be enough :)
    The max build height is 250, right?

you could wright a simple script to do this you use the onplayer events

Code
    function onPlayerBlockPlace(event)
    event:setCancel(true);
    addEvent("PlayerBlockPlace", onPlayerBlockPlace);

any event thats has setCancel(true); will stop the user from been able to do that event you could make it so only a seleted group has this rual like say the default group you could use my levels plugin to move them from the default group to a higher level where then they are able to start laying blocks or what ever the events you want them to have.

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • The giant box encompasing smaller boxes seemed to work before i fixed my group issue. I found some typos in the yaml files, spaces in values and capitalized values. Once I fixed that the groups are visible. I can now assign users to groups :)

Then the giant box locked out everyone's access. I figure only the inner most box would apply to the user. Oh well, i deleted the giant box for now any my players are happy. Will mess more. I'll dig into the settings more later and look into yahgiggle's suggestion.

Also tried /reloadgroups to see if it would restore the missing areas. No luck

Is there a permission to prevent users from raking dirt? I don't believe that falls under digging

• if you use !@#%$ or anything other than numbers and letters in the name of the protected areas the areas wont load on the next reboot oO you could edit the database and look to see if such things are in the name, then remove it and restart, yes raking = digging anything todo with changing the land = digging

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • I thought the build limit was 320... at least that's what happened to me, rip skyscraper

"If all the world was apple pie, And all the sea were ink. And all the trees were bread and cheese, What would we have to drink?" ?(

• Ok, things are becoming more fine tuned and I feel like I have a good handle on my server now but I do have one question about the items section but it is not very well documented in Red's article on the new permission system from last year. Does anyone have a complete hierarchy of all the lists and sublists under items?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!