Being crushed by falling trees?

A new update is now available, introducing a lot of new content!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.5.2 (2024-09-10)
  • I've tried, but I don't seem to be hurt when I cut a tree down and it falls right on me. (Just sort of roles off me in a "opps didn't see you there, sorry" kind of way)
    I know you're all probably really busy, I just think it would be cool if it was one more thing to look out for while surviving. ;)

• Interesting.
    At this point, we don't know which way the tree is going to fall though.
    * If we knew, we'd always stand of the way before starting chopping.
    * If falling trees didn't hurt us, what difference would the direction it fell matter?

• I never even thought about being able to control/predict the direction they fall...
    I think it could add a nice little quirk to the game that you had to watch for tree lean, terrain slope, wind, or maybe just where you started cutting.

• When cutting down a real tree, don't you cut a notch in one side in the direction you want the tree to fall, then chop on the other? Wonder if that could be implemented in the game? (Course, I wonder if we even need to....)

• If chopped trees fall in a predictable and realistic way then fall damage would be a nice addition to the game. It would add one more flavor of realism and there is a bit of that in Rising World already. On the other hand, if tree fall cannot be modeled realistically then this would become a major frustration very quickly to players, especially for new players. Consider someone is frantically cutting down a tree in the dark because they are trying to build a shelter. In the real world the tree that he just chopped down would have rolled away from him, but this one does not and kills him. For some people that might be enough to quit playing.

• Chopping a tree by hand gives you some control yes, but it is always somewhat unpredictable. And yeah it would be great if you could be crushed by a falling tree. It isn't just dangerous for you, think of your buddy standing close by and you can't tell him fast enough to move.... haha or the tree ends up falling on something you've built. But collisions like that might get too crazy to do. I could live without them. But they would be great fun!

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• I have to agree with the taking health damage upon tree chopping from the collapsing tree. Give it a more realistic feel to the game since we will eventually have to maintain eating and drinking :D

:thumbup:

• I have no problem with falling trees causing damage- to you, buildings, animals caught in the way, etc....IF, on the other hand, instead of random you have some control over which direction the tree falls. So:
    * If trees fall in a random direction, they shouldn't cause any damage.
    * If you can control the direction, they should. (Hey, if you fell a tree on to your house, you deserve the results!)

• After some thought, tree damage should only happen on the players, possibly animals. No player made stuffs. IMO. Having control over the direction would be great but I don't see it happening. Nothing bad towards devs, just I think it would be to difficult to make it worth attempting. But I'm no coder.. maybe it's a simple thing.. haha

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!