Deceptive Ores

• Been playing the game for quite a while now, and I'm enjoying the steady evolution of the game. ^^

So lately I've been doing a lot of mining, and I'm noticing that when I see an ore clearly, whack it with my pickaxe, and hear the metal-on-metal sound, there is still no guarantee that I will get anything more than stone dropping. I understand the random aspect of the process, but it seems that my chances of totally striking out have increased somewhat.

For example, I just came upon a sizable deposit of copper, which I totally decimated, but wound up with NO copper. Just stone. The same thing happened with an iron deposit a little earlier. All in all, I'm doing okay with building up my resource stash, but I was wondering if the odds have changed lately.

Anybody else had this experience?

• are you sure your inventory wasn't full? in that case the copper/iron ores would have been dropped a bit behind/under your character. Never had that problem but I don't do a lot of mining tbh.

• This has happened to me occasionally, but only with small, usually surface, veins.

"If all the world was apple pie, And all the sea were ink. And all the trees were bread and cheese, What would we have to drink?" ?(

• I've written enough "random" routines to realize that I could just be on an unlucky streak, and by definition it could happen anytime. Just thought I'd check if anything has changed.

@'Minotorious - Yeah, when it happens I always check to see if my inventory is full and I somehow missed the message. At least now if you miss the "inventory full" message, you still have time to re-arrange or go stash stuff in a chest and get back in time to pick up the drops. Love that we can do that. ^^

• you are correct. you don't always get ore when you hit ore and sometimes you get ore when you hit stone. the sound used to guarantee you'd get ore but after the last update i noticed that changed. It's probably a bug.
    It is good that we automatically drop stuff we can't hold. I was quickly harvesting in my garden and noticed saplings and vegetables sitting on the earth and realized what had happened. So much better than the old way where you just lose what you harvest :)

• Quote from zfoxfire

I was quickly harvesting in my garden and noticed saplings and vegetables sitting on the earth

I had the exact same incident when I was harvesting corn recently. And I really appreciated that I could just take the time to transfer my load into the ol' corn barrel and still get back in time to pick up what I had dropped. Another positive step towards reality in this game.

Kudos to Red51. Again. ^^

And thanks for corroborating my ore-mining observation.

• That must have been a ground-breaking discovery, when you dug out the vein of ore! :D

"If all the world was apple pie, And all the sea were ink. And all the trees were bread and cheese, What would we have to drink?" ?(

• Good! I thought I might have to explain it to this hostile, unsmiling audience!

• I was not aware that fools gold had any practical uses. I have now learned something. :thumbup:

How it might fit into the game is an intriguing question. Gold itself doesn't have much use yet, so the pyrite might wind up being more valuable than the real thing. Oh, the irony. Or would that be 'goldy'? English is such an unpredictable language.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!