Most important addition.....

• ok,here's how this works.pick one thing you really want in the next update "game wise" keeping in mind this does not include multiplayer.....
    mine would be:
    setting spawn by placing your bed/or by sleeping in it. :thumbsup:

• Gee that sounds familiar...

Why sleep in a bed to set the spawn point? (Course, we can set it with the 'setspawn' command.) What if we have more than one bed in more than one house/base? What if a house has several bedrooms with several beds? This isn't MC- let's figure out a better way to do things.

I think that we need a (as in 'one') Spawn Marker that we can place, which, when we place a new one it automatically deletes the old one. Or, even better, what if we hit a Function key while, for instance, standing in our house and that sets the new spawn point? I may have mentioned this here before (if so, sorry), but then we could make a Compass that's really useful. I'm thinking a Compass works like a normal compass, but it has another hand (like a second hand on a watch) that points to your spawn point. That way, no matter how far you wander, you can always find home. (In other words, it's not only a 'compass', but a 'locator').

• You have a point there Geneo. Yes there is currently the setspawn command but that will be gone come release, or before. The bed thing just represents something I want in the game. Doesn't have to be a bed and sleeping to setspawn.

What about a flag you place to setspawn. Place another flag and it gets rid of the first. Although this would suck if you want to spawn inside your house.. damn flag in the middle of the room. Well it's gotta be some kind of block or item lol...

Haste is the enemy of knowledge.

• The 'last bed slept in' is a time honored video game save point reference :p but you are definitely right, set yourself apart JIW you are worth that!

I vote on a constructed resurrection slab that can be improved in future updates with ore/animal sacrifices etc for respawns.

But what I want most now? Water! I have been excited about the gravity affected water from announcement.

• Resurrection slab. Why not craft yourself a tombstone to place somewhere (not the cross or other religious symbol please. something unique to Rising World and has no meaning other than to represent RW)? To make it a challenge, make it so you can only place it on dirt outside. :D

Not sure about a sacrificial slab. Maybe a shrine? Statue?

A sculpture made with wet clay only found in certain biomes which needs to be dried in the sun? Even drying it could be difficult at times since you rely on the sun... :D (I know this is beyond next update.. lol)

To be honest, I would prefer more content in the world, some danger maybe, then getting ores which just make stuff we can already craft. Sure there would be more stuff to mine, but we can mine all day already if we want. Wolves and the threat of hunger would be much more interesting IMO. Water I think will be taking some time yet.

• I just thought- why do we need 'something' to mark the spot? Hit an Fkey, it asks "Do you want to set your Spawn Point here? Yes/No" and you're done. If you want to go ahead and put a bed, flag, statue, grave stone, "resurrection slab", or whatever on that spot that's your choice.

Personally, there's something creepy about sleeping in my death bed or seeing my own grave stone out my window....

• Mmm, puts a hole in a good story for me if you just respawn suddenly like that. That's why I liked the "Resurrection slab" as it tells a story of it's own, creepy as it is.

Presently, the game gives me something of a industrial era vibe, maybe even ww1. My other suggestion, would be a story book on a altar, as if too say "Be reborn, your part in this tale is not over" similar to the concept of Myst, you are inside the story and the book on the altar is also the story.

One could spawn with their story, and write a new story should they lose the original tome. It's a good premise for placing entrances to other universes, or player self improvements skills etc should we want those or want to mod those.

• In the end, for me it's not too important what is used to respawn. But something with immersion would be nice. I could live with just pressing an F key and not lose any sleep over it.. :D

• Here is an idea for re spawn you could have two markers (this is if they implement a map into the game) have the first marker as home base. and the second be movable. and yes fast travel but only between these two markers.
    there is the possibility of someone using this to there advantage so what you should do is make it to where they can only fast travel to places they have already explored.
    The fast travel would be useful if you needed to switch out equipment at your base or you need to get to a certain spot in multiplayer to do stuff with your friends.

• What does that have to do with spawning?

Actually, though it's off topic, I know what you're talking about. There's another MC-like game out there that I used to play that has 16 color-coded "portals" that work in pairs. You could place color-coded portals in your house, and others in town, in the cave you're working on, at your friend's house, etc., and just instantly teleport between places. (In fact, you could have several "portals" tied to a color code. You climb in and it would randomly show you the other exits in that color code, then you step out once you see the exit you want.)
    The Good News is you could teleport around (think Stargates).
    The Bad News is you really don't need any other kind of transportation. Once you have your "portals" set up you can move from home to the deepest part of a cave, to the top of the tallest mountain, to clear across the map, in seconds. Kinda makes minecarts, horses, trucks, etc. pretty pointless and pure novelty. The other Bad News is, as handy as that sounds, you can't teleport from Point A until you set up another portal at Point B. In that game, portals (by necessity) are personal and your friend couldn't set up a portal for you. Your "portal set" is different from his "portal set". Plus the item used to make a portal is very hard to obtain.

Personally, I'm not for portals. In most cases they're a hassle. And they're too "sy fi" for RW.

• What does that have to do with spawning?

Actually, though it's off topic, I know what you're talking about. There's another MC-like game out there that I used to play that has 16 color-coded "portals" that work in pairs. You could place color-coded portals in your house, and others in town, in the cave you're working on, at your friend's house, etc., and just instantly teleport between places. (In fact, you could have several "portals" tied to a color code. You climb in and it would randomly show you the other exits in that color code, then you step out once you see the exit you want.)
    The Good News is you could teleport around (think Stargates).
    The Bad News is you really don't need any other kind of transportation. Once you have your "portals" set up you can move from home to the deepest part of a cave, to the top of the tallest mountain, to clear across the map, in seconds. Kinda makes minecarts, horses, trucks, etc. pretty pointless and pure novelty. The other Bad News is, as handy as that sounds, you can't teleport from Point A until you set up another portal at Point B. In that game, portals (by necessity) are personal and your friend couldn't set up a portal for you. Your "portal set" is different from his "portal set". Plus the item used to make a portal is very hard to obtain.

Personally, I'm not for portals. In most cases they're a hassle. And they're too "sy fi" for RW.

The last place you warped to could be your respawn and if you haven't used teleport it should used the default location from the start of the world
    but I guess it should be a mod then.

• Not for me. Some form of portal or teleport (I thought about teleports like in TF2 but decided against it) would remove any need for vehicles. I want to have to hide in the bush while the enemy drives by, like in the Dayz mod. You could either let them pass or do some kind of ambush. Anyways, if there are teleports, you would rarely see anyone out in the world. So little player interaction other than friends hanging together.

The only form of teleport that might work is a one time use teleport. So you place your homespawn marker (whatever it is), go out in the world and carry this device with you (after obtaining it either by crafting or trade etc..), once you want to get back home you use it and it's gone. This needs to be controlled so stacks of them cannot be made. It must be a very rare thing indeed or we're just back to the other teleport ideas etc.. Or maybe it is limited by time. One use each game day or something.. anyways I prefer with no teleports.

• Well, with technology teleports so long as the exit location also requires large amounts of setup/power it leaves use for vehicles in exploration and mining.

Here's an idea, have you heard that we can teleport light already rl? Perhaps the teleport could take time to deconstruct and reconstruct players and materials into light and back, plus require a line of sight transmission beam. You'd think twice if you could be killed by a smoke grenade during transmission.

• If teleports required line of site they would be useless. Most would want it for mining which is mostly done underground. Especially on a pvp server.

I would actually like a form of teleport to build as some advanced tech. Hmm.. Let's set some rules and see if it fits with the game and doesn't ruin vehicles:

1 - there is an entrance and an exit so they only work one way
    2 - you can only build one set of teleports (no building them for your friends)
    3 - only a player can go through the teleports (no vehicles, no mining carts, no animals, just what the player can carry on him/herself, no tossing stuff onto it to teleport items)
    4 - any player can use the teleports if they find it (added danger! better hide your entrance good! :D)
    5 - both ends of the teleport require power! (something that requires maintenance)
    6 - they can be used as a trap (fun pvp stuffs like build an entrance near your enemies and place the exit upside down on the ceiling over some lava - evil laugh)
    7 - very advanced tech so it is NOT easy to make these, there should be some skills you work towards so a new player can't just get materials from friends and make them day one...
    8 - ?

• The 'last bed slept in' is a time honored video game save point reference :P but you are definitely right, set yourself apart JIW you are worth that!

I vote on a constructed resurrection slab that can be improved in future updates with ore/animal sacrifices etc for respawns.

But what I want most now? Water! I have been excited about the gravity affected water from announcement.

Water is definitely high on my list!

• Thanks for all suggestions related to setting the spawnpoint! :)
    We discussed that matter, it's really not easy to find the best solution. But probably we will use beds and tents for the beginning. Most likely you will have to manually set the spawnpoint when interacting with the bed/tent, instead of automatically updating it by sleeping in it (this allows you to use beds or tents without changing your spawn)..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!