Finally we managed to finalize the work on the new networking code. This update introduces a new networking system which should be less error prone than the old one. But at the same time, we also added support for Steam P2P multiplayer. This means you can finally host a game on your machine without having to forward ports or use Hamachi or something like that. Now you can simply hit the "Play with friends" button in singleplayer menu and invite your friends through your friendlist - alternatively a friend of yours can simply join your game if you're playing multiplayer.
The new networking system now also contains an automatic reconnect feature. If you lose connection for a brief moment, the game will automatic reconnect to the server - ideally without any interruptions. The typical "10 minutes disconnect" some people were suffering from should be history.
Of course we only had limited possibilites to put this feature to the acid test, so we really need your feedback. If you experience any sudden disconnects or other multiplayer issues, please let us know.
This update also introduces new haircuts and new clothes, or more precisely, new headgear, including two special items of equipment: helmets with integrated lamps, which provide the player with light. The previous debug light (L) is now disabled (but still available in creative mode).
As usual, the updates contains a few bugfixes and changes. For example, we reduced the clipping of the player body through clothes. The result still isn't perfect and it needs more work, but it's an improvement compared to the previous situation.
Apart from that we did some optimizations to the world generation, and also reduced the overall memory consumption.
Stay tuned for the next update!
- [New] Integrated Steam P2P Networking (invite friends without having to forward ports)
- [New] Added Steam friend list support (able to join and invite friends)
- [New] Reworked networking code from scratch (should be less error prone now)
- [New] Added automatic reconnect for multiplayer (to catch small connection interruptions)
- [New] Added two new helmets with integrated lamps (L)
- [New] Added new headgear: cowboy hat, pilgrim hat, cappy (camo), balaclava, chef hat, unclesam hat
- [Change] Reduced clipping of player body (visible through clothes) (work-in-progress)
- [Change] World generates faster now when there are lots of buildings
- [Change] Reduced direct memory consumption
- [Change] Slightly reduced running speed
- [Change] Stamina lasts longer now
- [Change] Beard now gets covered by face masks
- [Change] Updated sounds of wooden sword
- [Change] Updated appearance of military helmet
- [Change] Objects can no longer be placed on animals or players
- [Change] Removed debug light (L) from survival mode
- [Change] Improved performance when placing large blueprints
- [Change] Command "undoblueprint" works much faster now
- [Change] Improved performance of creative removal tool (F7)
- [Change] Player no longer uses sprint animation when having broken bones (Multiplayer)
- [Change] Saplings can be placed anywhere in creative mode
- [Bugfix] Fixed disconnect in multiplayer (in certain situations) after 10 minutes (need feedback)
- [Bugfix] Fixed lighting issues of player headgear (multiplayer)
- [Bugfix] Fixed issue of players being invisible in multiplayer sometimes (need feedback)
- [Bugfix] Fixed being able to place multiple ores into the same furnace slot
- [Bugfix] Spinning wheel no longer consumes too much wool/cotton/fibers (Multiplayer)
- [Bugfix] Fixed wrong crossbow position for other players in multiplayer
- [Bugfix] Fixed missing label when picking up clothing items
- [Bugfix] Saplings can only be planted on farmland again (in survival mode)
- [Bugfix] Scoreboard (tab) updates properly now
- [Change] Item animations now stop when opening the inventory or any other window
- [Change] Changed default spawn position when creating a new world
- [Change] Changed initial game time when creating a new world (early morning hours)
- [Bugfix] Fixed apperance of glass panes (especially when refractions are turned off)
- [Bugfix] Fixed missing labels in crafting menu
- [Bugfix] Fixed crash when starting the game on 64 bit linux
- [Bugfix] Fixed issues with wooden torch mount
- [Bugfix] Fixed a sound issue when crafting an item
- [Bugfix] Fixed a crash related to certain clothes
- [Bugfix] Fixed connection issues in multiplayer on MacOS