Posts by vinehold

I bought the game a few days ago and have played around 18 hours so far. While I'm mostly pleased and impressed with it, I find the keyboard configuration for advanced construction to be confusing especially if any keys are remapped - I'm one of the unfortunate 10% handicapped by left-handedness so WASD is out of the question. Specifically:

• Being static the F1 help screen just adds to the confusion when trying to figure out what does what if keys are remapped. It also isn't clear that the 'resize' key isn't a toggle and that both keys need to be held down to reset size.
    • The object rotation seems to be world-centric rather than camera-centric. As a result keys rotate beams in different directions depending upon which way you are facing which is just confusing (IMHO)
    • It doesn't seem possible to remap the control key
    • Because there's no indicator to show when modular building is enabled, or resize is in effect, it isn't clear what an anticipated movement or keypress will achieve
    • The forward/left/right/up/down labels on the keyboard config 'placement' screen relate to rotations not translations and are therefore confusing

I appreciate that the game is still in development and that those with many hours invested will wonder why I'm finding it so tricky, but if new players can't pick up the controls reasonably quickly they will become frustrated and disillusioned. I have thousands of hours in other 3d construction, fps, survival and rpg games but the advance construction part of the game (the reason I bought it) is the most frustrating system I've ever encountered. Unless it's refined I think I'll have to stick to RW's Minecraft-like block building mode, which is a shame.

In addition, the crouch key just activates a tint 'bounce' - doesn't really matter at present as it doesn't seem to be needed - and why is a key needed for run and walk - isn't the default 'walk'? Maybe it's supposed to read 'creep' or somesuch?

I hope the keyboard config gets sorted out, I really like the game but it just feels hobbled as it stands.