Status Update: Terrain shaders

• If you guys work on mirrors, please, PLEASE, allow implementing portals :D they're literally based on the same techniques.

• Question... I was just wondering we will have aswell snow on the roofs, snow that will apply to some blocks or beams when is snowing?

Unfortunately that's a bit complicated :/ Basically it would be necessary to check if a construction element is exposed to the sky (although that wouldn't be sufficient in case of bigger elements, which are just partly exposed). The problem is, some buildings consists of hundreds of thousands of construction elements, and these "collision checks" per element (i.e. whether or not they're exposed) are rather expensive :dizzy:

It wouldn't be a big issue if we just had a block world, or if the construction system was more limited (e.g. if there was just a basic base building system). But as long as people can place thousands or hundreds of thousands of construction elements, that would be a performance killer...

But we will definitely keep that in mind, maybe we'll find a better solution for that ;)

If you guys work on mirrors, please, PLEASE, allow implementing portals :D they're literally based on the same techniques.

Portals would be awesome, but the only issue is that the game has to generate the world behind a portal (or more precisely, the part of the world you can see through the portal). If a portal brings you to a nearby location (i.e. to a part of the world which is already generated anyway), that wouldn't be a problem at all. But if these locations are far away, that would introduce serious performance issues :silenced: That could cause a lot of problems, especially in multiplayer when there are several portals (teleporting you to far away locations)...

Maybe we find a workaround for that (perhaps it's sufficient to just generate a few chunks around the portal target location), but portals are still quite tricky :thinking:

• In the current build, voxels and blocks can essentially occupy the same space. Is this an unavoidable aspect of the voxel engine, or is there a chance that it may change at some point?

• Looks really nice! cant wait to see more, thanks for your work!

red51

Question... I was just wondering we will have aswell snow on the roofs, snow that will apply to some blocks or beams when is snowing?

This would be nice and having red's reply maybe a work around is to have blocks/beams that we can construct which is covered in snow? I understand this isn't exactly what you was thinking but it's the closes I can think off. :thinking:

• instead of game making portals, how about the player craft an gate or similar for portals. Save location where gate is placed, then the second one placed to open the portal for travel. That should be easier on the maps making. At the same time limit the number of portals each player can have. Color changed and named.

Having the grindstone/mill grind different blocks or ore to make a powder version then apply to anything. Or snow block can be worked with a rake.

I know this is different than Fallout 76....Only thing you cannot do in mine. You are free to build your base/camp where ever on the map. Some places are off limits while cap in how big you can make it. If your camp is shared with camped, You can stay there but camp be off limit until you change servers or log out and back in. You get the option to stay or move to another server where your camp does not share with another camp. First come to log on gets that place. Since the map is pre made and does not change, only places to teleport is different train stations you found and to your camp. Camp size was from everyone used to build your base/camp. Over time players complained and got the sized increased. Personal storage was pre set too, again over time they increased size from players complaining. Everything was base of weight so it stop players from hoarding endless amount of items and causing the server to crash. Weight limits on everything. Base building/camp was on items placed...every wall, beam, ramp, chest, crafting station, power, and garden plants. This block players building to the sky even on the tallest mountains. I do have pictures if you want to see them..I will make a thread on discussions or suggestions.

• red51

Closed the thread.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!