Weather + smoke

• I did heavy snow weather, seem bit foggy in the house. At night with the snow, I notice by the fireplace is bit darker than by the torches. Also I notice the smoke rising through the bricks. How high or below the the weather effects will go. Like if you are in the cave, does the fog goes in the cave for depth.

For cold/snow/fog would be interesting on the glass.

Can snow cover anything outside including on chairs or benches?

So far weather is nice. Wondering if you can mix weather effects like overcast with rain/snow/fog.

• I did heavy snow weather, seem bit foggy in the house

Unfortunately it's a bit difficult to prevent fog from being visible inside buildings without killing the performance :| The Java version was already suffering from the same issue... we do have some plans to improve that part a bit though.

Also I notice the smoke rising through the bricks

That will be fixed in the near future ^^

How high or below the the weather effects will go. Like if you are in the cave, does the fog goes in the cave for depth

Weather effects will no longer be visible if you're getting closer to the orbit ^^ Proper transitions are still missing though, since we don't have any clouds yet.

For the lower bounds, the fog goes away if you're entering the cave layer (in fact fog doesn't really go away, it's being replace by the "cave fog" - like in the Java version).

Can snow cover anything outside including on chairs or benches?

No, unfortunately snow can only cover terrain and plants (and rocks). If we want to find out if an object is exposed to sky this would have a considerable impact on performance - especially when it comes to construction elements (considering several buildings consist of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of construction elements) :(

Stuff like that would be way easier to implement in a static, pre-generated world :D

So far weather is nice. Wondering if you can mix weather effects like overcast with rain/snow/fog.

We were tinkering with some weather effects like sleet, but the results weren't satisfying so far ^^ However, two different weather effects are actually active whenever the game changes to a new weather effect. For instance, if it's currently snowing and you type weather densefog into console, the game slowly blends between snowy weather and dense fog

• We used to be able to place a small blueprint at the top of chimneys to create the smoke coming out of the chimney. Will this be or is this available in the new version? I have not found my smoke blueprint/item yet

• Smoke was not a blueprint but an object. I'm sure it will be implemented in the future

Those blueprints attached were captured smoke in the java game. I have made a blueprint of a campfire in the new game and I can place it anywhere in game without crafting the campfire. I can place that blueprint in any structure and it will appear as if I placed an object though in the new game you cannot seem to place objects as fine as blocks. What has happened in the java version attached above is that the other entities in the campfire are removed from the blueprint picture. Try it in the java version with those blueprints

You place the block and the in game smoke from a fire only emitted from them. You could place them in a chimney structure and animated smoke alone would come out. I cannot find my old screenshots on this but I have a few stored on steam where you can see the smoke coming out of the chimneys

Smoke coming out of the peasant house in the back ground. The foreground it has not been placed, yet

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=1410304400

Smoke coming out after placing smoke blueprint in the building in the previous photo

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=1410620157

This screenshot shows smoke coming out the little window in the Roman watchtower. I had modeled a kitchen area in the building and the smoke blueprint added animation to make it appear in action

https://steamcommunity.com/sha…iledetails/?id=1425739032

sorry I dont have a movie but believe me the smoke moves and looks like smoke coming out of the chimney.

• Ah okay. I thought you meant the object "smoke", not that you are talking about the smoke of a campfire. There was a technical object Smoke in the Java Version that gave you 2 or 3 different types of "smoke" - even if you had no campfire. Just the smoke itself. That is not yet implemented in the Unity version.

The objects from Java do not get transferred to Unity as they seem to be too different. But however in Unity you can resize the objects. You can also hold them in place with ctrl key and then use arrow keys to move them inside your wall/floor/whatever.

• I hope it is put in soon as that little bit of animation of smoke made all the difference in the world in immersion.

Its a nice thing, yes. But the fire in unity also has nice effects

And with glass, paint and the new shapes it might be possible to create good looking, static smoke yourself

• I've

Ah okay. I thought you meant the object "smoke", not that you are talking about the smoke of a campfire. There was a technical object Smoke in the Java Version that gave you 2 or 3 different types of "smoke" - even if you had no campfire. Just the smoke itself. That is not yet implemented in the Unity version.

The objects from Java do not get transferred to Unity as they seem to be too different. But however in Unity you can resize the objects. You can also hold them in place with ctrl key and then use arrow keys to move them inside your wall/floor/whatever.

I also was thinking he was talking about the smoke only object, I was like why blueprint this oO so your not alone, in the unity version you can resize the fires so small you can hide them in the chimney for a smoke effect, only problem is the light from the fire goes through the blocks and reflects on your roof oO not a big deal and that problem will be fixed so I read on another post.

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • I've

I also was thinking he was talking about the smoke only object, I was like why blueprint this oO so your not alone, in the unity version you can resize the fires so small you can hide them in the chimney for a smoke effect, only problem is the light from the fire goes through the blocks and reflects on your roof oO not a big deal and that problem will be fixed so I read on another post.

I figured out the size thing.. was able to reduce some wall torches and put them in piles of faux wood in fireplaces and stone ovens.. they look nice. The problem with the campfires also is the smoke is laced with lit embers flying off.

• I like the sparks, it makes the smoke look even more real as normal smoke does indeed have them 😉

While it looks OK in a campfire and you may say it looks great But having embers coming out of your chimney sort of defeats the purpose of not setting your roof on fire in reality and some of the reason they were above the roof line so much and cleaned in real.

Having these little animations in game make the game really immersive and enjoyable. Would be nice to be able to animate other things too. Cannot wait until the water animations come in.

• While it looks OK in a campfire and you may say it looks great But having embers coming out of your chimney sort of defeats the purpose of not setting your roof on fire in reality and some of the reason they were above the roof line so much and cleaned in real.

Having these little animations in game make the game really immersive and enjoyable. Would be nice to be able to animate other things too. Cannot wait until the water animations come in.

When i was a young boy, we used to get the fire going really hot so we could run outside and see lots more embers coming out of your our chimney at night, they looked amazing, so for me this is how we used to see the smoke from our chimneys

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • When i was a young boy, we used to get the fire going really hot so we could run outside and see lots more embers coming out of your our chimney at night, they looked amazing, so for me this is how we used to see the smoke from our chimneys

While it is totally irrelevant to the advancement of this game, it used to be perfectly acceptable to have an open beer when you drove a truck when I was young. Chimneys are designed to not set your roof on fire and very often in modern times regulated to not set your neighbors roof on fire either. Embers also cause chimney fires which could also burn your house down with you when you are sleeping. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I would prefer fire flies at night to embers in the sky.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!