• Steam or Standalone?
    Steam
    Singleplayer or multiplayer?
    Multiplayer
    Error message?
    No
    Operating system
    Windows

Hello everyone. I am very new to Rising World. After enjoying the single player experience, I have decided that I would like to play it multiplayer with friends. I am new to SteamCMD. I have briefly looked through guides, but I get lost. I am dyslexic.

So I was wondering if someone could simply explain the process of setting up a server I'll run at home whenever I want to play it.

I have done the port forwarding as I have done this in the past for other games like Minecraft.

I have no idea about SteamCMD. I have run it and I think I installed the app 339010. I am unaware of commands, files, configurations, etc.

• There are many threads in this forum about the same question. Maybe you use the search function for this.

There is a German forum with contributions, too. The google translator is very helpful in case of problems.

Maybe you can get some help to get started, for the present. ^^

• If you have the regular Steam client installed (and if you own the game on Steam), you can also find the dedicated server under "Tools" where you can just download and run it through Steam :)

However, if you want to set up the server via SteamCMD, this thread contains a few more information about that: Set up a server with SteamCMD

• If you have the regular Steam client installed (and if you own the game on Steam), you can also find the dedicated server under "Tools" where you can just download and run it through Steam :)

However, if you want to set up the server via SteamCMD, this thread contains a few more information about that: Set up a server with SteamCMD

I have the dedicated server software but when I run it, i see a command prompt pop up for a split second then goes away. Thats it. What do I do after that?

• I have the dedicated server software but when I run it, i see a command prompt pop up for a split second then goes away. Thats it. What do I do after that?

This sounds like an error occurs. As yahwho mentioned, please have a look if there is a file called "errorlog" or "hs_err_pid" in your server directory. Alternatively you can also have a look for a log file in the "Logs" folder. Maybe create a separate topic about that, since this isn't necessarily related to the original issue ;)

• This sounds like an error occurs. As yahwho mentioned, please have a look if there is a file called "errorlog" or "hs_err_pid" in your server directory. Alternatively you can also have a look for a log file in the "Logs" folder. Maybe create a separate topic about that, since this isn't necessarily related to the original issue ;)

Inside you RisingWorldDedicatedServer directory where you have the win_startscript.bat post here your most recent error log (something like errorlog_1611843590545.log).

If you are running win_startscript.bat and it closes instantly, it's because the script is failing. The error log will tell us why.

I have the dedicated server software but when I run it, i see a command prompt pop up for a split second then goes away. Thats it. What do I do after that?

Just remembered (doh!) - if the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) is not installed on the PC hosting the RW server, the error mentioned above occurs.

• I'm running the win_startscript as the application to start it. When I do I get this......

This indicates the JVM could not reserve enough memory. Usually this happens if there is only a 32 bit Java version installed on a 64 bit OS - please make sure that the 64 bit version of Java 8 is installed ;)

• you need more ram it seems. I would make it 4 gigs of ram rather then 2 gig. Do this in the server.properties file. Open it with note pad to edit. server_memory=4000 I use 8000 myself. It depends how much ram your server has.

I highly recommend to do it in a power of two.

So that would be, for example: 1024, 2048, 4096, 6144, 8192, and so on. Personally, I'd go for 4096 if it's a small server and you are starting out. You can increase the allocated RAM as needed.

• Ok, I did add the RAM to 8000 and that worked. I installed the 64 bit version of Java 8 and restarted computer. I ran the bat file and all was successful. However, I do not see the server name in multiplayer.

I'm glad to hear the server runs now :)

About the server not showing up in the list: In the worst case, it may take up to a few minutes until the server shows up (depending on the status of the Steam master server), although usually it should be visible within a few seconds. However, do you run the server on your local machine? If the server does not show up in this case, this may be caused if either a wrong ip is set for the server, or if the ports are not forwarded (especially the http query port, which is serverport-1 [e.g. if you use the default 4255 port, the http query port is 4254]).

For the ip, if you're behind a router, it's important to keep the server_ip field in the server.properties file blank - this forces the server to bind to all addresses. For the ports, you can use this tool to check if they're open: https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Just run the server (otherwise the tool will always tell you the ports are closed), then check if the ports are reachable (at least make sure the http port is reachable, which is 4254 if you're using the default server_port setting). This page contains more information about the ports the server uses: Dedicated Server Setup

If the server still does not show up in the server list, please upload the latest server log here (which can be found in the "Logs" subfolder in the server directory), and maybe also upload your server.properties file. If you don't want to post these files here, feel free to send them via PM to me

• I have attached the log here.

• I have attached the log here.

Thanks for the log file! At the very bottom you find this line Error while starting the server: java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: bind, which indicates that the server could not bind to the provided address/port. This usually happens in these cases:

1. There is already another process running on that port (in this case any of ports 4254-4259). This could be another RW server process, for example, which is still running in the background, or a different process which uses one of these ports
    2. The provided ip address is not valid. For example, if your server is located at your home (i.e. behind a router), you cannot provide your public IP address to the server, since the machine is not able to see that address - in this case, just leave the server_ip field blank so the server binds to all addresses

So in this particular case, the server doesn't even start (or more precisely, it immediately shuts down after being unable to bind to the requested address).

Another unrelated issue: There were a few parse errors regarding the permission groups (i.e. syntax errors in the permission files). This does not interfere with the server at all and is completely unrelated to this issue, but this results in the permission groups not being active. The server log provides more information about what's wrong with the permissions and which lines contain the errors. But again, this has nothing to do at all with the server not starting or not showing up in the server list ^^

• The last reply was more than 365 days ago, this thread is most likely obsolete. It is recommended to create a new thread instead.

• :)
    • ;)
    • :(
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • :verysad:
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • :crazy:
    • :lol:
    • :dizzy:
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :thinking:
    • :wacko:
    • :/
    • 8)
    • :wat:
    • :huh:
    • :silenced:
    • :wow:
    • 8|
    • :angry:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :hushed:
    • :nerd:
    • :saint:
    • :drooling:
    • :love:
    • :monocle:
    • :poo:
    • :party:
    • :drunk:
    • <3
    • :!:
    • :?:
    The maximum number of attachments: 10
    Maximum File Size: 1 MB
    Allowed extensions: 7z, avi, bmp, dds, gif, jpeg, jpg, json, log, lua, mp3, mp4, ogg, pdf, permissions, png, properties, rar, txt, xml, zip

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!