Update 0.4.5: Blueprints and chests

• Hi folks,

the blueprint update is now available! This means that it's now possible to create and place blueprints in the new version of Rising World. This update also introduces 46 new building materials, 12 different window frames as well as various new objects.

In addition to that, chests are now fully working, which means you can finally store items in them.

Blueprints can be freely placed and rotated, and they can also be aligned to the grid (G). Old blueprints from the Java version are compatible, i.e. they can be loaded in the new version - but please keep in mind that the game will convert these blueprints, meaning you won't be able to use the same files in the Java version anymore.

Blueprints are managed at a specific workbench: the blueprint table. It provides a good overview of all blueprints as well as the corresponding folder structure, and in addition to it, you can move blueprints to other subfolders or rename them. It also provides a search function. New blueprints can be added during runtime, and you can also delete them at any time.

This update also provides an export feature for blueprints, which allows you to export them to .obj files, so you can load them in an external model editor (like Blender). This is, however, still an experimental feature.

c1.jpg

Of course this update also introduces a bunch of changes, improvements and bugfixes. Grass is now correctly occluded by construction elements, reflections work better inside buildings, and various other issues have been sorted out.

Our main focus will be the world update now: This includes a proper world generation (so you don't have to play the demo world every time), a lot more plants and trees, new terrain materials and also a first version of water. This will be a very extensive update, so maybe we will split it into several updates, especially considering that there is still a Unity bug which prevents the game from running on Windows 7 - Unity already confirmed this bug and it will probably take them a few weeks to fix this issue, so we can release an update in a timely manner.

Changelog 2022-01-31 (0.4.5):

• [New] Blueprints

• Added separate crafting station to craft blueprints
      • Added menu to browse, search and organize blueprints
      • Compatibility with blueprints from the Java version (only construction elements and blocks)
      • Blueprints are resizable (only proportionally for now)
      • Blueprint can be fully moved and rotated while placing
      • Support for grid when placing blueprints
      • Undo option to revert placed blueprints
      • New blueprints can be added to the blueprint folder during runtime
      • Multiplayer servers can restrict blueprint creation to player's own buildings only
      • Blueprints can be exported to .obj format
    • [New] Chests are now fully working
    • [New] Added 46 new construction materials (textures), many of them are based on materials from the Java version
    • [New] Added 12 different window frames
    • [New] Added a shooting target (for target practice)
    • [New] Added two trashcan objects which can be used to dispose items
    • [New] When destroying a chest containing items, these items will spawn in the world
    • [New] Added additional pivots (in building mode) to cylinder, hollow cylinder and pillar
    • [New] Note about new version is now shown in main menu
    • [New] Added "fog" command to temporarily disable fog (for testing purposes)
    • [New] New chest permission: useallchests (in "general" category), which determines if players are allowed to access chests of other players
    • [New] New blueprint permissions: place, placelimitsession, maxsize, maxelements, create, createown (all in "blueprint" category)
    • [Change] Reduced horizon fog intensity during default and sunny weather
    • [Change] It's no longer possible to place two identical construction elements at the same spot
    • [Change] If blocks in inventory have a color, it is now displayed in the item tooltip (when moving the mouse cursor over the item)
    • [Change] Console command history now ignores identical entries
    • [Change] Increased max light limit (in graphics settings) to 100
    • [Change] Reduced brightness of white plaster material
    • [Change] Improved screen space reflections to reduce flickering on marble floors
    • [Change] Precision changes while building via "setp", "setl" or "setr" commands are now saved persistently
    • [Change] Added pivot for walltorch
    • [Change] Increased max allowed size for creative mode removal tool
    • [Change] Option if distant buildigs should stay visible is now exposed to the graphics settings
    • [Change] Adjusting area size in creative removal tool works much faster now
    • [Change] Reduced intensity of grid (while building)
    • [Bugfix] Grass now gets properly occluded by construction elements
    • [Bugfix] Felled trees can no longer be cut into pieces with a single hit
    • [Bugfix] Fixed permission issues regarding creative removal tools (which allowed users to destroy things without permission)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed trees sometimes falling over for no apparent reason
    • [Bugfix] Fixed crash when certain objects were painted
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong shadows on construction element surfaces
    • [Bugfix] Fixed some missing sounds
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issues with noclip command (flymode)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing emojis in chat (multiplayer)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed minor visual issue in player list (multiplayer)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed visibility of creative mode terrain flatten tool (F5 -> Return)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing text in password dialogs
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing construction elements if an invalid texture was assigned to them
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue which caused a server to create multiple player instances in certain situations when a player joins
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong context menu position when rightclicking on items in inventory
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong tooltip position if it was close to the screen edge

Hotfix 2022-02-01:

• [Change] Shooting targets are now craftable at the workbench (weapons -> targets)
    • [Change] Updated collision check when two players sit very close to each other (multiplayer)
    • [Change] Sped up progress bar when creating a blueprint (2 seconds duration)
    • [Change] Blueprint names now also accept white spaces and certain special characters
    • [Change] When creating blueprints, only parts which are at least half within the selection are now included
    • [Bugfix] Fixed storages causing various errors
    • [Bugfix] Fixed optional blueprint group/folder not being used when creating a blueprint
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue with construction elements if building view distance was lower than detail distance
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing shaders for christmas tree and tree stumps (pink materials)

Hotfix 2022-02-02:

• [New] Rightclicking on the "Blueprints" node at the blueprint table allows you to open the folder on your hard drive
    • [Change] Blueprint table now shows message if no blueprints are available
    • [Change] When changing crafting categories, recipes now remember whether or not they were collapsed before
    • [Change] Crafting menu now properly applies the "Collapse Crafting Categories" setting (see misc settings)
    • [Change] Entries in blueprint menu will now also be collapsed if there are any subfolders available (depending on settings)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed construction elements sometimes not being generated (if building view distance was too low)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed noisy reflections in certain situations
    • [Bugfix] Fixed remaining issues with noclip command and setting
    • [Bugfix] Workbench is now also accessible through the radial menu

Changelog 2022-02-11 (0.4.5.1):

• [New] Added button to open the blueprint menu in creative mode at any time (see "Blueprints" in controls settings)
    • [New] Blueprint boundary is now visualized while placing a blueprint (can be disabled in game settings)
    • [New] Game now remembers the collapsed state of individual crafting and blueprint categories after a game restart
    • [New] All crafting categories can now be expanded/collapsed at once (rightlick on header)
    • [New] Console command "commands" now prints more information about all available commands (use page up/down to scroll)
    • [Change] Increased max number of construction elements you can place in a row from 32 to 128
    • [Change] The "max count" button in crafting menu now takes your resources in inventory into account
    • [Change] The item tooltip in inventory now also contains the material name for blocks
    • [Change] Blueprint snapping to grid now works more properly
    • [Change] Blueprint table now shows blueprint creation date depending on local time zone
    • [Change] Changes to blueprint collision or rotation mode (when placing) are now saved persistently
    • [Change] Greatly increased max range for area-based creative mode tools (e.g. removal tool)
    • [Change] Blueprint permissions now also show up in the permissions menu
    • [Change] Updated orientation of certain textures on window frames
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issues with crafting count (in certain cases only a single item could be crafted at once)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong rotation values in blueprint context menu
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing localization for certain messages
    • [Bugfix] Triangle planks of Java blueprints are now converted correctly
    • [Bugfix] Lights in blueprints now keep their light color and brightness settings
    • [Bugfix] Fixed rare error when using animated objects (chests, trash cans etc)
  • Thanks for your feedback :)

Fine! Everything is working! Block object. Only I do not know how to lower the object down.

Glad to hear it's working :) :thumbup: To lower or raise an object, you can use the page up / page down keys, but first you have to enable manual placement for the blueprint (by pressing the left mouse button, or right control) ;)

• Was there a notification for this update prior to today? I don't recall seeing one?

Oh, yes, IIRC we've set up the notification banner on Friday... At least it was there on my end :wat:

Small report - the first thing that I saw was purple tree stump on loading screen

Yeah, unfortunately some of the shaders are missing in the built game :/ We're working on a hotfix for it :)

• I saw some more bugs:

- The chest will be opened on next world load and it will be impossible to interract with it

- Sometimes visual glitches like stripes of broken pixels can appear, for some milliseconds

- Material tab will take more time to load than all other tabs. It will load slow each time.

- Game can crash on exit, probably it is related to chests (I'm not sure, but chest with items on map will always result with crash)

• - The chest will be opened on next world load and it will be impossible to interract with it

A hotfix for this is on the way :) There was a world conversion necessary for the chests, but unfortunately it didn't fully work - resulting in a broken storage database... as a workaround (until the hotfix lands) you can fix it by deleting the "Storages.db" file manually from your world folder.

- Sometimes visual glitches like stripes of broken pixels can appear, for some milliseconds

This is unfortuantely caused by the way how motion blur is handled... it's on our to-do list though :)

- Material tab will take more time to load than all other tabs. It will load slow each time.

Oh, that's strange :wat: Which material tab do you refer to exactly? You mean the "Build" section in the crafting menu? Did this already happen in the previous version (where crafting was introduced)?

- Game can crash on exit, probably it is related to chests (I'm not sure, but chest with items on map will always result with crash)

That's not supposed to happen =O It could be indeed related to the chests... however, if this happens again, please restart the game (until you get to the main menu), then open the console and type "report" to send a report to us :)

• Oh, that's strange :wat: Which material tab do you refer to exactly? You mean the "Build" section in the crafting menu? Did this already happen in the previous version (where crafting was introduced)?

Yes, I mean build section. The delay is not too large, but noticeable as it always exits. I think it can be related to huge amount of content inside the panel

That's not supposed to happen =O It could be indeed related to the chests... however, if this happens again, please restart the game (until you get to the main menu), then open the console and type "report" to send a report to us :)

Done :)

• This update also provides an export feature for blueprints, which allows you to export them to .obj files, so you can load them in an external model editor (like Blender). This is, however, still an experimental feature.

I have yet to try the update, downloading it as I post this. I'm however happy this update is finally out while also happy we have this '.obj' file support for our builds. I'm happy we can export them, 3D print them, export them into VRChat, or whatever we want to do. I bet you had 3D printing in mind, but yeah.

Thanks!

I'll see what the nitty-gritty of this update is whenever the update finishes downloading. Good luck on the world update because that's when I'm going to join for real. Any bugs, issues, etc shall happen then. :nerd:

• Alright, update finally downloaded, some political nutjobs kinda avoided........ Onto Rising World finding a little bit of an issue. Having issues crafting the workbench while having the Primitive Workbench both nearby, and in my inventory. I'm either doing something oblivious or there is a legit issue here. Trying to build the Blueprint table in a survival mode.

Maybe I'm doing something stupid losing my mind after dealing with too many political nutjobs lately.

That's a nice start to my session.

-----

Edit: Is the primitive workbench's radial menu supposed to work in crafting mode? It does for picking it up, just not crafting.

• Yes, I mean build section. The delay is not too large, but noticeable as it always exits. I think it can be related to huge amount of content inside the panel

I see...the list is pre-generated, so the delay seems to be coming from the UI repaint... IIRC Unity did somewhere state in their forums that UI Toolkit (that's the framework we're using) is surprisingly slower than their old UI (uGUI), but they have plans to speed it up. But unfortunately progress at UI Toolkit is quite slow... :dizzy:

We could speed it up on our end by virtualizing the grid view (and actually we have done that for the texture loading - that was necessary for the blueprint menu), but virtualizing all elements in it is a bit tricky (considering that not all elements in that list have the same size)... we'll take a closer look at that ;)

Done :)

Thanks for the report! There was no specific error so it could be indeed related to the storage issue... we're currently preparing a hotfix for that, if you still experience the issue after the hotfix, please let me know :)

Having issues crafting the workbench while having the Primitive Workbench both nearby, and in my inventory. I'm either doing something oblivious or there is a legit issue here. Trying to build the Blueprint table in a legit manner.

There is indeed an issue with the crafting station detection :saint: It depends on which item you craft first - so sometimes it works, sometimes not... it's one of those weird bugs... I'm just baffled that we didn't run into that bug earlier, because it was already there since the crafting update :wat: Although I must admit that I was mostly playing in creative mode lately^^

Nevertheless, a hotfix for this is already on its way :) It should be available in 1-2 hours.

Edit: Is the primitive workbench's radial menu supposed to work in crafting mode? It does for picking it up, just not crafting.

Oh, I can confirm that the radial menu doesn't work for the workbench :monocle: Unfortunately it's too late to include that into the upcoming hotfix (which is already compiling), but we'll fix that ASAP!

But in the meantime, you can just press F once alternatively :drunk:

• There is indeed an issue with the crafting station detection :saint: It depends on which item you craft first - so sometimes it works, sometimes not... it's one of those weird bugs... I'm just baffled that we didn't run into that bug earlier, because it was already there since the crafting update :wat: Although I must admit that I was mostly playing in creative mode lately^^

Nevertheless, a hotfix for this is already on its way :) It should be available in 1-2 hours.

So I wasn't going crazy. I was about to lose my mind, no joke......

As for the "baffled that we didn't run into that bug earlier" bit, I was wanting to play more, was however waiting on blueprint update. Other people also had the chance and opportunity to do so also. It's been found now which makes me happy. I wonder how many more bugs/glitches are there I can easily stumble across.

People indeed do play in creative mode which is a problem in itself. We need to be able to test both ends. I don't blame you Red51, you're just one guy needing us to help with people hiding away in creative mode far too often.

Thanks for the hotfix. I'll wait till tomorrow to try again. I'm currently not in a best state right now so it's best I do more testing tomorrow. Thanks for the update though.

Oh, I can confirm that the radial menu doesn't work for the workbench :monocle: Unfortunately it's too late to include that into the upcoming hotfix (which is already compiling), but we'll fix that ASAP!

But in the meantime, you can just press F once alternatively :drunk:

At least you're aware of it so that's all that matters. :D

I could, if I had my state of mind. I'll try again tomorrow. I need to somehow juggle Pokemon, Flight Sim, and Rising World for tomorrow and the day after (depends on work). :drunk:

Thanks for the help and confirmation I'm not fully losing my mind. :thumbup:

(I was about to legit have a panic attack)

• As for the "baffled that we didn't run into that bug earlier" bit, I was wanting to play more, was however waiting on blueprint update. Other people also had the chance and opportunity to do so also. It's been found now which makes me happy. I wonder how many more bugs/glitches are there I can easily stumble across.

People indeed do play in creative mode which is a problem in itself. We need to be able to test both ends. I don't blame you Red51, you're just one guy needing us to help with people hiding away in creative mode far too often.

Hehe, well, I guess that will likely change after the world gen update, when more people probably start playing the game again ^^ Most people indeed play creative mode right now, but tbh, unfortunately the survival part hasn't much to offer yet... but that will definitely change sooner or later :)

• A new hotfix is now available btw :) It fixes some problems regarding chests as well as a few other smaller issues. It's not necessary to update multiplayer servers, but it's recommended.

Hotfix 2022-02-01:

• [Change] Shooting targets are now craftable at the workbench (weapons -> targets)
    • [Change] Updated collision check when two players sit very close to each other (multiplayer)
    • [Change] Sped up progress bar when creating a blueprint (2 seconds duration)
    • [Change] Blueprint names now also accept white spaces and certain special characters
    • [Change] When creating blueprints, only parts which are at least half within the selection are now included
    • [Bugfix] Fixed storages causing various errors
    • [Bugfix] Fixed optional blueprint group/folder not being used when creating a blueprint
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue with construction elements if building view distance was lower than detail distance
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing shaders for christmas tree and tree stumps (pink materials)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!