Update 0.7: Biomes, Caves and much more!

• First of all, thanks a lot for all your feedback so far! :)

xynix  PhartBlast  Proto0x7C8  SighBorg Unfortunately I can't say for sure when the standalone issue is fixed... it requires a bigger change. The problem is that some game files became too big so the launcher can't handle them... sorry for the inconvenience! :silenced:

However, if you need a Steam key, just let me know and I can send one to you :)

If you have access to a Steam version, you can download the game there and just copy the "Data/StreamingAssets" folder to the standalone folder - that should do the trick!

• Another small hotfix is now available btw :) It fixes a few smaller issues regarding biome generation and also introduces a few changes. This update is optional for multiplayer servers.

Hotfix (2024-02-03):

• [Change] Aggressive animals no longer react to gunshots or other actions in peaceful mode
    • [Change] Reduced number of caves generated by the game
    • [Change] Increased rotate/turn speed of horse
    • [Change] Gunpowder requirement no longer includes the modern workbench (only requirement: craft sulfur and coal powder)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing icon for polar bear pelt
    • [Bugfix] Fixed other biomes/regions not being generated properly if too far away from the starter island
  • Update is working very well so far, all the issues I had have already been fixed. Only one of my worlds couldn't be converted and the game crashed during the process several times. All other world worked very well though.

Loving the higher resolution posters/setting in the option menu. I was wondering if that texture on the posters will be made an option or deleted? As it can make the images look a little unclean, for certain use cases. For example if I make a fake window underground. It doesn't look so clean or real. I can see how it looks good for some paintings, tapestries or scripts etc. However I always find myself removing it with the command.

Thanks for all your hard work red51 and team, Rising World is the best! Absolutely stunning :)

• Update is working very well so far, all the issues I had have already been fixed. Only one of my worlds couldn't be converted and the game crashed during the process several times. All other world worked very well though.

Loving the higher resolution posters/setting in the option menu. I was wondering if that texture on the posters will be made an option or deleted? As it can make the images look a little unclean, for certain use cases. For example if I make a fake window underground. It doesn't look so clean or real. I can see how it looks good for some paintings, tapestries or scripts etc. However I always find myself removing it with the command.

Thanks for all your hard work red51 and team, Rising World is the best! Absolutely stunning :)

Thanks for your feedback :) I'm sorry to hear about the crash though... unfortunately the game quickly runs out of memory for bigger worlds :/ It's a bit tricky to fix, because the game has to load all chunks in order to convert worlds properly... but we're working on that. As a workaround, you could set up a bigger swap file in your OS to allow the game to allocate more memory... or alternatively wait until we have a fix for this (but unfortunately I have no ETA yet)...

About the posters, we've been working on an option for that, but unfortunately it didn't make it into this update... but it's on our to-do list :)

• Thanks for your feedback :) I'm sorry to hear about the crash though... unfortunately the game quickly runs out of memory for bigger worlds :/ It's a bit tricky to fix, because the game has to load all chunks in order to convert worlds properly... but we're working on that. As a workaround, you could set up a bigger swap file in your OS to allow the game to allocate more memory... or alternatively wait until we have a fix for this (but unfortunately I have no ETA yet)...

About the posters, we've been working on an option for that, but unfortunately it didn't make it into this update... but it's on our to-do list :)

Thank you red51, for your quick and helpful response. I am so grateful :) No rush, I'm sure everything is in good hands and under control! Keep it going, Much appreciated 👍

• [Bugfix] Fixed other biomes/regions not being generated properly if too far away from the starter island

Hi red51 .. still cannot find biomes in unexplored random areas on a world spawned from seed since original release (Wild Frontiers). I did manage to create a desert biome using overrideregion dry (which worked fine) .. however also tried to create a snowy biome in another sector using "overrideregion cold" but nothing happens; "cannot find region: cold". Seems to be an issue with the 'cold' parameter initiating the change.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

Edited once, last by Juggernaut ().

• Hi red51 .. still cannot find biomes in unexplored random areas on a world spawned from seed since original release (Wild Frontiers). I did manage to create a desert biome using overrideregion dry (which worked fine) .. however also tried to create a snowy biome in another sector using "overrideregion cold" but nothing happens. Seems to be an issue with the 'cold' parameter initiating the change.

Thanks weird... you could try to enter the command goto #coldregion - the game then checks if there is a snow region in your proximity (IIRC in a range of 5x5 islands). Does the game find a snow region then?

About the overrideregion command, I just realized that "cold" is indeed not recognized... sorry about that. But you can just use snow instead, i.e. overrideregion snow ;) We'll fix the command with the next hotfix^^

• you could try to enter the command goto #coldregion - the game then checks if there is a snow region in your proximity (IIRC in a range of 5x5 islands). Does the game find a snow region then?

goto #coldregion will tp me to a region, but its always a temperate biome (tried several times in dif sectors, same thing) thanks for the info.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Thanks for the update Red, it's a very impressive work :)

However, I have an issue to point out :

The new command "surfaceoffset" have an effect on "surface scale" and not on "surface offset";

the "surfacescale" command works as it should.

• goto #coldregion will tp me to a region, but its always a temperate biome (tried several times in dif sectors, same thing) thanks for the info.

Now that's really weird :wat: If you press F3, the 3rd line shows your current biome and region. Which region is it? Is it also "Default", or "Snow"?

Does it always teleport you to the same (wrong) sector? Or is it always a different one?

However, I have an issue to point out :

The new command "surfaceoffset" have an effect on "surface scale" and not on "surface offset";

the "surfacescale" command works as it should.

Hmm... unfortunately I couldn't reproduce this issue... the code also looks correct to me :thinking: Just make sure to not confuse the default values for these commands: For surfacescale, the default value is 1 1 1 (a scale of 1), while for surfaceoffset, it's 0 0 0 (an offset of 0 blocks) ;)

• Now that's really weird :wat: If you press F3, the 3rd line shows your current biome and region. Which region is it? Is it also "Default", or "Snow"?

Does it always teleport you to the same (wrong) sector? Or is it always a different one?

Most always 'Default' but sometimes 'ocean' (never 'snow, never 'dry' when using goto #dryregion (or #coldregion)). the sectors do change, but always within 1 (e.g. 1 1 , -1 1 , 0 1 etc)

*Note: Something that may give us a clue as to what may be going on, this server world was originally seeded with:

World_Seed=WildFrontiers

HOWEVER .. the seed the world sits in can no longer be replicated using the same seed in single player any more. This changed after an early update, so I am unable to reproduce this seed using the same: "WildFrontiers"

red51 I can make you an admin if you ever want to pop on and look around to troubleshoot at anytime. I can add your Steam UID (which I have) to server.properties if you like.

Edited 2 times, last by Juggernaut ().

• Is there a way to disable the 'heartbeat' warning you get when a predator spots you?? It sort of works against our survival theme and most find it confusing like they are injured or running out of stamina.

• Can you tell me how to change the flight speed? shift + mouse wheel rotation no longer works :(

Basically that should still work... if that doesn't work for some reason, maybe have a look if "Fly Mode Speed Control" in the Misc settings is still set to "Advanced Mode" (that's required for Shift + Mousewheel to work) :)

*Note: Something that may give us a clue as to what may be going on, this server world was originally seeded with:

World_Seed=WildFrontiers

HOWEVER .. the seed the world sits in can no longer be replicated using the same seed in single player any more. This changed after an early update, so I am unable to reproduce this seed using the same: "WildFrontiers"

The seed (or more precisely, the way how the seed is interpreted by the game) has indeed changed (but existing islands remain unchanged), so it's unfortunately to be expected that you can no longer reproduce exactly the same world...

But does it work if you change a region with the overrideregion command (when using "snow" instead of "cold")? Just to make sure it's "just" a spawn problem of the biomes (and not a bigger issue that for some reason the other biomes cannot be handled properly).

red51 I can make you an admin if you ever want to pop on and look around to troubleshoot at anytime. I can add your Steam UID (which I have) to server.properties if you like.

Thanks! :) Unfortunately I could only verify that there are indeed no other regions... is there maybe a chance you could send me the world instead (no need for posters etc, just the .db files)? Then I could test it in my dev environment. Or is the world too big?

Juggernaut I think there was an issue with seed right at the very start. The seed may actually be 1 or 0 ?

Good point! IIRC the world update back then had an issue that the seed was not applied properly (AFAIK it was always 0, causing various issues)... not sure if this could be somehow related to this :thinking:

Is there a way to disable the 'heartbeat' warning you get when a predator spots you?? It sort of works against our survival theme and most find it confusing like they are injured or running out of stamina.

Are you looking for a game setting to disable it, or a serverside setting? We'd still appreciate any feedback about this sound. If it's causing too much confusion, it's probably better to remove it? :monocle:

• ut does it work if you change a region with the overrideregion command (when using "snow" instead of "cold")? Just to make sure it's "just" a spawn problem of the biomes (and not a bigger issue that for some reason the other biomes cannot be handled properly).

Yes this command works well (using snow vs cold) .. did both a cold and dry region in unused sectors. Love how it warns and shows if there are any construction elements and objects as a precaution. TY!!! The backup option does not work on a server though, only SP.

Sidenote: goto #dryregion and #coldregion still take me to default temperate locations, and do not detect the ones I spawned in. (spawn a cold to the nearest unused sector and a dry to the searest southernly sector)

Thanks! :) Unfortunately I could only verify that there are indeed no other regions... is there maybe a chance you could send me the world instead (no need for posters etc, just the .db files)? Then I could test it in my dev environment. Or is the world too big?

word.db is small and will PM u right away, the chunks is approx 500MB but can send that too via link if you need that one too.

RE: Heartbeat warning - Are you looking for a game setting to disable it, or a serverside setting? We'd still appreciate any feedback about this sound. If it's causing too much confusion, it's probably better to remove it?

Both would be ideal (server and client side setting). Personally it goes against the challenge of 'survival' of predators sneaking up on you. In survival, you should be aware of your surroundings, predators tend to be very quiet for obvious reasons. :)

The sound is fine if appropriately triggered by: low stamina .. or taking damage/anxiety. Instead of a heartbeat sound if a predator spots you, perhaps their 'attack sound' can be used as a warning (but only if warning is enabled) -- roar, hiss, etc

• Yes this command works well (using snow vs cold) .. did both a cold and dry region in unused sectors. Love how it warns and shows if there are any construction elements and objects as a precaution. TY!!! The backup option does not work on a server though, only SP.

Thanks for letting me know, it's good that at least the manually spawned biomes work ^^

About the backup, yeah, unfortunately that doesn't work in multiplayer, that was an oversight :/ We'll fix that, but unfortunately it won't make it into the next hotfix... however, in the meantime, you can create backups manually by using the createbackup console command.

Sidenote: goto #dryregion and #coldregion still take me to default temperate locations, and do not detect the ones I spawned in. (spawn a cold to the nearest unused sector and a dry to the searest southernly sector)

Still weird... not sure if this is a specific problem in multiplayer?

word.db is small and will PM u right away, the chunks is approx 500MB but can send that too via link if you need that one too.

Unfortunately I would also need the Chunks.db... The relevant files are basically the Chunks.db, the Meta.db and the World.db

Both would be ideal (server and client side setting). Personally it goes against the challenge of 'survival' of predators sneaking up on you. In survival, you should be aware of your surroundings, predators tend to be very quiet for obvious reasons. :)

Well, in the Java version, the player got sometimes suddenly attacked by a boar or bear when walking through forests, which caused some frustration sometimes... we wanted to make sure to have a few more indicators if an npc has detected the player (the heartbeat was supposed to be one of these indicators) ^^

The sound is fine if appropriately triggered by: low stamina .. or taking damage/anxiety. Instead of a heartbeat sound if a predator spots you, perhaps their 'attack sound' can be used as a warning (but only if warning is enabled) -- roar, hiss, etc

Aggressive animals also play a "roar" animation (and a sound accordingly) when they detect the player, but I'm afraid there is still a chance to miss that (especially if the animal is not in the fov of the player) :silenced:

• Unfortunately I would also need the Chunks.db... The relevant files are basically the Chunks.db, the Meta.db and the World.db

Chunks I sent to you already via PM .. a link u can dload from my Gdrive. Attached is meta Meta.zip

Well, in the Java version, the player got sometimes suddenly attacked by a boar or bear when walking through forests, which caused some frustration sometimes... we wanted to make sure to have a few more indicators if an npc has detected the player (the heartbeat was supposed to be one of these indicators) ^^

Aggressive animals also play a "roar" animation (and a sound accordingly) when they detect the player, but I'm afraid there is still a chance to miss that (especially if the animal is not in the fov of the player) :silenced:

Yes I understand, which should be a configurable option so players who want more survival challenge/ realism have that option .. vs being warned. :) (a lot of us like hard settings, not to be hand held so much -- more survival focused).

I do love the roar and animal sounds, the heartbeat sound just seems misplaced to me (they often can be heard from far away even when flying).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!