Bug: Rising water

• On our server a player is settled on the coast of the open ocean and strangely the water level has risen twice at his place, from level 90 to level 92, but doesn't seem to have risen anywhere else in the world. Nothing has been edited around his place or any terrain tools used, so not sure what is happening...seems to be a bizarre bug.

Green Valleys - PvE Survival - Land Claims/Portals/SetHome - discord.gg/EQ6a9mb

• Have you already updated to the current status?
    There were problems with Terang and Undo before the last fix.
    In my case, several water blocks were spawned on a mountain, which flooded half of my world.
    But it's currently fixed

• Have you already updated to the current status?
    There were problems with Terang and Undo before the last fix.
    In my case, several water blocks were spawned on a mountain, which flooded half of my world.
    But it's currently fixed

Hmm, we are updated to the most recent hotfix version. I'll check the mountains around their place for any flowing water.

im having the opposite problem , I placed water into a pool with blocks under it three days ago and now the water went through into the ground this happened last night.

Water doesn't currently detect blocks so if there wasn't solid ground surrounding the pool to hold the water in it would all leak out. Try placing the static water instead.

• Found the edge of the water spill...tried deleting a bit of it and it started flowing and spreading. Disabling water flow in my server settings for now. It's covering a massive area between our starter island and the desert island. No idea where it came from or how it started.

• Red_Baron  red51 I had the same issue twice with one player. I was with him and what triggered it was land smoothing. Started out as a blob as though I placed it, then started spreading and spreading consuming server resources. I couldn't stop it either using water removal (more was being added than I was removing). I took the server down, leveled the water in single player.

Then a couple days later, it happened again (when he was raking near the portal and waters edge). This time I had him delete his portal and move it to higher land away from the shore as that was where it seemed to start happening. It hasn't happened again.

I need to do further testing to identify the cause, but it seemed to originate from the portal being too close to the water, and smoothing land via rake or creative tools set it off. Not sure if you are using the WTG Portal plugin?

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Not sure if you are using the WTG Portal plugin?

Nope, but we have the yahgiggle portals installed. I could see it being a bug from leveling with the rake maybe...water gets bumped upwards and then starts flowing and spreading... red51, any ideas?

• There was indeed a bug which spawned water (or invalid terrain cells) when using the "undo" command after smoothing the ground :( This was indeed a serious issue, but was "fixed" with update 0.7.0.2 (released 4 days ago)... actually we've disabled the undo functionality for the smoothing tool, but we've also implemented some sanity checks to make sure the undo command never spawns invalid terrain cells.

Unfortunatly the hotfix doesn't remove any damage that was caused by this bug. So if there are still remaining water cells, they need to be removed manually. To do that, it's useful to disable flowing water (in multiplayer, the only way to do that is to change "Settings_WaterUpdateInterval" to 0 in the server.properties file... probably we'll add a console command to change that on the fly).

I really hope there is no remaining issue that spawns water anywhere :wat: I don't think there is an issue with regular terrain edits (we didn't touch that), but I think the undo tool isn't working smoothly yet... In case of doubt, maybe it's better to disable the undo command temporarily until all issues are sorted out (you can do that in the permissions by setting "undo" to false under "world").

• Thanks for the info, its quite possible it occurred from the undo bug. I've already disabled flowing water on our server, but we've got a big mess to clean up as its stretching from the cold biome south around the side of our starter island and all the way to the warm biome.

It would be super helpful if there were some way to delete all water above level 90 in the world, though I'm sure that might crash or bog down the server for quite a while when its processing removing all of that water. Also curious how that might affect spawning of future world gen changes like the underwater biomes since now all the areas covered by extra water would be considered modified chunks.

• Thanks for the info, its quite possible it occurred from the undo bug. I've already disabled flowing water on our server, but we've got a big mess to clean up as its stretching from the cold biome south around the side of our starter island and all the way to the warm biome.

It would be super helpful if there were some way to delete all water above level 90 in the world, though I'm sure that might crash or bog down the server for quite a while when its processing removing all of that water. Also curious how that might affect spawning of future world gen changes like the underwater biomes since now all the areas covered by extra water would be considered modified chunks.

I'm sorry to hear about that trouble :/ A command to remove water above sea level would be indeed helpful I guess. I put it on our to-do list. But yes, it's probably better to execute it while there are no players on the server...

About the chunks being considered "modified", yes, that's unfortunately true... although I'm not sure if it really affects future underwater biomes. Basically the flowing water would only affect the upper sea level layer, usually not the sea floor, so I guess underwater biomes could still spawn there (we haven't implemented that though, so unfortunately I can't say for sure how this will behave)...

Alternatively you could delete an entire sector with the "deletesector" console command, but that removes everything in this sector (even buildings etc).

• Odd thing to consider though, is in my case it wasn't caused by undo command. It was once triggered by a player who does not have access to undo.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• :)
    • ;)
    • :(
    • :P
    • ^^
    • :D
    • :verysad:
    • ;(
    • X(
    • :*
    • :|
    • :crazy:
    • :lol:
    • :dizzy:
    • =O
    • <X
    • ||
    • :thinking:
    • :wacko:
    • :/
    • 8)
    • :wat:
    • :huh:
    • :silenced:
    • :wow:
    • 8|
    • :angry:
    • :thumbdown:
    • :thumbup:
    • :sleeping:
    • :hushed:
    • :nerd:
    • :saint:
    • :drooling:
    • :love:
    • :monocle:
    • :poo:
    • :party:
    • :drunk:
    • <3
    • :!:
    • :?:
    The maximum number of attachments: 10
    Maximum File Size: 1 MB
    Allowed extensions: 7z, asset, avi, bmp, dds, gif, jpeg, jpg, json, log, lua, mp3, mp4, ogg, pdf, permissions, png, properties, rar, txt, unitypackage, xml, zip

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!