GPS Plug-in for world navigation and self-locating

• I understand about the f3 cords but it still does not explain when I am moving east west in direction, the north south numbers are moving and the east west numbers are remaining the same. I would think this would be confusing, I know it makes it hard to get around for me if I were relying on the cords.

• Hi,

I understand that development of this plugin has ceased, however I have a couple of questions.

1. Is it possible to enlarge the size of the text display? My vision isn't so good and I find it hard to read the text.

It would be possible to make the text size settable, but it would very probably be a server-wide setting, common to all players; not (or not easily) on a per-user basis, as this would require additional GUI to allow the player to set these parameters.

2. Is it possible to add tooltips to the GUI?

I would have liked very much to add tooltips but, as far as I know, the API does not support hovering and does not notify the plug-in when it happens; so, no, I do not think tooltips can be added with current API.

3. If you do not wish to add new features, will you release the source code so that someone else may take over the project? I don't know if I have the ability, but I would like to try adding some features.

Thanks!

I'll upload the source code to my github space rather soon, where other plug-ins of mines are already available.

• if I use the rw setting for the gps it seems to be reporting proper cords now sorry for the bother.

Well, I know I'm being fastidious ( ^^ ), but the default GPS display are "proper" geographic coordinates (at least in the sense of "usual"); those in the RW debug display are not (they serve a different purpose).

But I understand the usefulness of having the same display in both and, as the GPS display can be configured while RW cannot...

• Sorry @Miwarre but I have been trying to get this to work and it is not showing up on screen like it used to. Instead when I go into the /gps via chat and hit show it is spamming chat with errors. Not sure what is going on as I installed all of your mods with the exception of Bank, Weather & UPS individually starting with rwgui then plugin central, after this I installed planks & beams (very impressive work there) and finally GPS. Could you please confirm if this plugin works or not? Possibly I could be missing something? I did install the back end as well so I doubt that is the issue, though I remain confused.

• This plugin works on our server at least, can you post an error log? If you don't have an error log please turn the debug console on in the config.properties file and then a log will be generated in the Logs folder

• Sorry @Miwarre but I have been trying to get this to work and it is not showing up on screen like it used to. Instead when I go into the /gps via chat and hit show it is spamming chat with errors. Not sure what is going on as I installed all of your mods with the exception of Bank, Weather & UPS individually starting with rwgui then plugin central, after this I installed planks & beams (very impressive work there) and finally GPS. Could you please confirm if this plugin works or not? Possibly I could be missing something? I did install the back end as well so I doubt that is the issue, though I remain confused.

This plugin works on our server at least, can you post an error log? If you don't have an error log please turn the debug console on in the config.properties file and then a log will be generated in the Logs folder

Here are some screenshots of the errors I keep getting. The versions I am using are gps 1.3.1, plugin central 0.2.0, pnb 0.5.4 & rwgui 0.5.1 these are the only mods/ plugins installed thus far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The plug-in does work: I play on at least two servers (not mine) which have it installed and it works.

Did you installed the last version (1.3.1) ?
    Also the last version of RW-Gui?

If you can, could you post the folder structure and contents of the plug-in in the server, to see if everything is there?

• Version 1.4.0 available! Download link and details from the thread top post.

New in this version:

*) Removed WP sharing!
    *) Changed player identification from name to DB ID.
    *) Added the possibility for other plug-ins to send to the GPS temporary target points
    *) Added a number of public API functions for other plug-ins to use
    *) Added Javadocs
    *) Source code available in the plug-in github repository.

• The plug-in does work: I play on at least two servers (not mine) which have it installed and it works.
    Did you installed the last version (1.3.1) ?
    Also the last version of RW-Gui?

If you can, could you post the folder structure and contents of the plug-in in the server, to see if everything is there?

Okay this was what it looked like today. Going to update to the 1.4.0 and see what happens. I'll let you know in a bit :) thank you

• Okay I updated to the 1.4.0 and I am getting the error through the /pc command "The Plugin GPS Interface Could Not Be Called" not sure but here's some screenshots of the errors I am getting including when typing /gps in the chat menu.

The order of installation I used:
    1) rwgui 0.5.1
    2) plugin central 0.2.0
    3) gps 1.4.0
    4) pnb 0.5.4

All of this was installed into my steam folder E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RisingWorld\plugins I just deleted it all then reinstalled the same way 1 step at a time, I am confused. Temporarily I will leave gps out as everything else seems to work.

Here are some screenshots using page up of the error log.

• As far as I can tell from the screen shots of the folders, it is a Single Player context. In which case this is a known problem.

The Single Player context has a BUG (confirmed by red51), by which plug-in player data are not completely initialised (technically, the PlayerConnectEvent is not called for the player and the plug-in misses an opportunity to initialise the data it needs about the player). As you can see, the GPS "running display" is missing, which is an indication of this bug.

The bug should be fixed in a? / the? next RW release; in the meantime, I found the workaround to issue the console reloadplugins command right after connecting, which triggers a full player initialisation; you will see that after this command, the GPS "running display" will appear.

Hoping this helps, M.

• @ArcaneDesmond The best way is, you make a localserver from rw on your pc.

@Bogus is right; this would definitely improves running of plug-ins. However, a (local) dedicated server has other cons:

1) set-up might be not trivial

2) in practice it can only have a single world

3) to connect to it, you have to use the "Connect to IP" button of the "Multiplayer" page and enter your local IP address

So, you have a couple of possibilities; neither is perfect (the programme is still under development, after all) but both should be viable and you may choose.

• Thank you, reloading the plugin's seems to work, though from time to time I do like to have people join. Not sure about a local server because much like Minecraft it still uses local cpu an external server would perhaps be a better idea for me but at this time I can't afford it. Going big is my goal for this season, a massive fortress which I am heading back to work on complete with subscriber suburbs, parks, camping & more. Trying to enclose these mountains as they spawned in a huge square (seed is -0) as it would make for an awesome build with high towers, deleting the mountains beneath, turning them into various inter-connecting chambers & more is going to be a lot of fun. Having friends join the fun only brightens my day and makes for some interesting video :) Thank you @Miwarre

• GTX charges 4 pounds sterling, about 6 dollars us a month for a 12 spot server and I believe they have a smaller packadge too.

although if you have a second comp it is easy to set up a server on your own network. And if you want to share it with others, it is not hard to forward the ports to give access.

also, if you can not forward ports, there is the hammachi solution to share your server.

• Thank you, reloading the plugin's seems to work, though from time to time I do like to have people join.

Well, if I understand correctly your set up, people can join an SP game only from the local LAN and I assume, when another player joins (i addition to the 'local' player, i.e. you!), the relevant events would be triggered correctly (it would be interesting to try, though). So, this should not be a problem.

Not sure about a local server because much like Minecraft it still uses local cpu an external server would perhaps be a better idea for me but at this time I can't afford it.

A commercial server would be possibly more convenient, but a local dedicated server has also its pros: it will have approximately the same CPU load as a SP game to which external players join and you can turn it on and off when you like.

As I said above, there are a number of options, each with its pros and cons. To summarise:

- the SP programme has a bug in plug-in player data initialisation (for which the console reloadplugins command can be a workaround)

- the MP server (either local or an external commercial solution) does not have this bug, but has other limitations.

So, it is a decision everyone has to make according his own priorities.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!