Important notice for Server Hoster

• We are currently moving Rising World to the Unity engine, so the "new version" will no longer be based on Java. Of course this also has an impact on existing servers and their configuration.

Currently the new version is available in a beta branch on Steam (the "unity" beta branch), but it will replace the Java version in the near future (i.e. the new version can be considered a "huge update"). Here is an overview of the server-related things that will change:

• The new version no longer uses Java
    • The dedicated server files requires more disk space (up to 1-2 GB)¹
    • The new version no longer has MySQL support
    • The new version requires less ports
    • Start arguments (launch options) are different
    • Server.properties (config) file is different
    • Old worlds won't be compatible with the new version²
    • You cannot set the max. server RAM via config or launch option³

¹ Other system requirements (RAM etc) stay mostly identical

² This means players will have to create a new world

³ The server will allocate more RAM automatically if required. If you don't want this, we recommend to run the server in a container (e.g. Docker, LXC etc)

If you don't want the new version to get installed automatically as soon as it becomes available and want to stay on the Java version, we recommend to enable the legacy beta branch on Steam :!:

This branch is identical to the current public branch (so it's safe to switch to this branch now), and this branch won't change when the new version goes live. This gives you enough time to upgrade to the new version.

This topic contains more information about setting up a dedicated server for the new version: Dedicated Server Setup [New Version]

• in the near future

:crazy::crazy::crazy: I will NOT ask how you define "near" in this context :crazy::crazy::crazy: I just have words in my brain popping up like "next week", "next month", "next year" and you know what happens, right? :wacko: Never, never ever use anything which could be understood as the slightest sign of a promise :lol::lol:

• Next month cant be, i think i remember few month ago he said this month is last posible so i think its gona be a halloween update 😁

The world generation is the next update and promised for latest October. But the official switch to Unity-Engine for the main game is another story. its still "end 2022 / beginning 2023". I guess several features (i.e. NPC) are missing yet

• :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I will NOT ask how you define "near" in this context :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I just have words in my brain popping up like "next week", "next month", "next year" and you know what happens, right? :wacko: Never, never ever use anything which could be understood as the slightest sign of a promise :lol: :lol:

Hehe, yeah that's true, although the final transition to the new version (i.e. replacing the Java version on the Steam store page) must happen in early 2023, there is no room for us to postpone that :saint:

• I Have changed my bat file to download the legacy version from "+app_update 339010 validate +quit" to "+app_update 339010 legacy validate +quit". What downloaded does not work. It goes to start up and crashes. This is the log.

errorlog_1665796958978.log

At 1 time or another I even had a warning pop up something to do with not being able to locate the server.properties file.

I am using the win_startscript.bat file to try to start it.

• I Have changed my bat file to download the legacy version from "+app_update 339010 validate +quit" to "+app_update 339010 legacy validate +quit". What downloaded does not work. It goes to start up and crashes. This is the log.

This error is caused by the installed version of the JRE: according to the log, Java 18 is installed. The "legacy" beta branch basically still has the same requirements as the default Java version - and unfortunately it only supports Java 8.

• Good News, I uninstalled jdk18 and jre8 started working and the server started up without a problem. So....
    Do Not Have a JDK installed with JRE8 or there is Interference!

I'm glad to hear it works now :) If you have a JDK installed in addition to the JRE, the default "java" command typically runs the JDK. You can find out which version is used by the "java" command to run "java -version" in cmd (it's determined by an environment variable). The .bat file that's shipped with the server just uses the "java" command (because we can't know the absolute path of the JRE).

If you have multiple Java versions installed and want to use a specific version, you can use the absolute path instead of the "java" command. To launch the server on Windows, for example, instead of using java -jar server.jar, you can use "<path-to-jre>/bin/java.exe" -jar server.jar accordingly ;)

• The old game engine was JMonkey written in Java. The new game engine is Unity written mainly in C#. Syntactically very close to each other.

The old game had an option to use MySQL as a DBMS instead of SQLite. The new version only supports SQLite. The game that is, not the plugins.

You still write plugins with Java.

And of course, you can still use any DBMS you want with your plugin, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Postgress, SQLite, MariaDB (those are probably the most common) you could probably even use Microsoft Access 😳

There are dozens more to choose from, but going off-piste is probably not recommended.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!