Update 0.6.7: Posters, Signs and more Content

• @red51

I noticed that there is a texture on the posters when they are placed in the world, which goes over the images, to give it that 'material look'. Is there a way to place a poster without this texture, so it's just a clean image with no additional texture?

I remember that the Java version had clean/smooth images for posters (I think?). I much preferred this as then posters can be used as realistic custom textures or just much more clear/sharp images.

It would actually be cool if when selecting a poster to craft, it would list a couple of options for smooth poster or textured poster, maybe even glossy poster or whatever is suitable.

A bit like when crafting a block and choosing it's shape from a list of possibilities, if that makes sense.

Perhaps it could be done by crafting paper posters instead of cloth posters, or something like this.

If there is a way of deleting the material texture in the files, that might be useful as a way around it, if only temporary?

Apologies if this is already in the game and I have missed it!

Many thanks and love the update. Rising World keeps getting better and better!

• I couldn't write any text, it disappears when I insert it.

As mentioned by yahwho , you have to hold the interaction key (F) while looking at the sign, that brings up a radial menu where you can change the text :)

It would actually be cool if when selecting a poster to craft, it would list a couple of options for smooth poster or textured poster, maybe even glossy poster or whatever is suitable.

Oh, this sounds like a great idea! :thumbup: I'll put it on our to-do list!

If there is a way of deleting the material texture in the files, that might be useful as a way around it, if only temporary?

Right now there is unfortunately no way to do that :/ But the next hotfix will introduce a new object attribute "DisableNormal" (which disables normal mapping on the object - this is what's responsible for the "grainy" appearance). To add this attribute, just type edit attribute disablenormal into console (but as mentioned, this will only work after the upcoming hotfix) ^^

• A hotfix was scheduled for today btw (0.6.7.2), but unfortunately we're running into unexpected issues building the game, so we have to delay the update by 1 day :/ We're sorry for the confusion and the inconvenience!

The update will be definitely available on Thursday (6th of July) evening!

• The new hotfix is now available btw :) It introduces some changes and fixes: For instance, the hanging sign now has text on both sides. There is also a new console command to convert old Java custom images (cimg files) to png/jpg. In addition to that, we've fixed various bugs and added some new API methods. It's necessary to update multiplayer servers for this update.

Hotfix 0.6.7.2 (2023-07-06):

• [New] Added new object attributes (for "edit attribute" command): DisablePickup (to prevent object pickup) and DisableNormal (to disable the normal mapping)
    • [New] Added command "convertjavaimages" to convert old Java .cimg files to png/jpg
    • [Change] Hanging iron sign now displays text on both sides
    • [Change] Sped up ore smelting (while sleeping) now also affects the fuel of the furnace
    • [Change] Updated wooden door texture (now has planks on both sides)
    • [Change] Text editor now shows the sign texture as background (can be disabled in config.properties file, see "UseSignBackground")
    • [Change] Text object now has a small border if no text is set
    • [Change] If an animal panics, it now only affects other animals of the same type
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issues when placing blueprints (blueprint suddenly moving etc)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed arch doors no longer working if they were flipped/mirrored
    • [Bugfix] Fixed some doors being slightly bigger than 2x4 blocks
    • [Bugfix] Skewer/grill is now also added to your inventory when picking up the campfire
    • [Bugfix] Fixed animals sometimes getting stuck in the ground (warping up and down)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed some movement related issues for animals
    • [Bugfix] Fixed dark main menu after returning to the menu while inside a cave
    • [Bugfix] Fixed poster place sound being audible everywhere in multiplayer
    • [Bugfix] Fixed some other minor sound issues
  • red51 Are the posters fixed to 512x512 resolution? I'm wondering if we could have a few options such as the original resolution of the image, or some fixed resolutions as well that the game seems to have already. Like 512x512, 1024x1024. 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 etc.

Basically any very common image resolutions plus original image.

This might also help with the aspect ratio of posters (using original image especially for rare resolutions). My posters all look squished as they start as 1:1, even if they are meant to be vertical 16:9 for example. So I am trying to guess the correct aspect ratio by resizing.

I really have no idea if any of this is possible or realistic to add so I apologise if this is way to crazy to add to the game.

I suppose there might need to be some sort of cap for original image lol. Not sure what massive resolutions would do to the game! Up to 4000x4000 might be cool, to include up to 3840x2160 preset plus 4000x4000 for 1:1 images. I guess that's a common ratio.

I seem to remember the Java version having much higher resolution poster image capability. I think the posters were much sharper, especially when very large size. I could be that I remember wrong.

I realised when placing posters in my world (Unity) that the resolution was greatly reduced. I tried to place a 6k photo but it said it was only 512x512 on the image screen.

Love the latest Hotfix by the way, so awesome :) Cheers

• That really are resolutions availble atm? I'm used to play 4k, as possible and not amused to use early tv resolutions. I haven't try it right now, so sorry, if Im wrong..

• That really are resolutions availble atm? I'm used to play 4k, as possible and not amused to use early tv resolutions. I haven't try it right now, so sorry, if Im wrong..

Deirdre Oh I mean for 'poster image resolution', not for the actual game resolution. I think that is what you mean? Yes my game resolution is perfectly fine, I also play in 4k :) But the posters are all 512x512 as far as I can see. Or maybe I didn't understand what you meant hehe.

• Mr S 512x512 is default server side setting limit for posters. this can be upped, but server admin has to do it. Keep in mind, larger resolution posters will consume alot more disk space on the server which is why default is set to 512.

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• red51 Are the posters fixed to 512x512 resolution? I'm wondering if we could have a few options such as the original resolution of the image, or some fixed resolutions as well that the game seems to have already. Like 512x512, 1024x1024. 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 etc.

512x512 is indeed the default resolution (but we changed it with the latest hotfix, now it depends on the graphics card VRAM, but this change isn't applied retroactively). We set a low default limit for now to keep VRAM consumption as low as possible (right now Unity is a memory hog on Linux, consuming extreme amounts of VRAM, and we didn't want to risk OOM crashes)...

Unfortunately this setting isn't exposed to the settings menu yet, but you can change it manually in the config.properties file (in the game directory) ;) It's called Game_CustomImageResolution there (but this only affects singleplayer).

In multiplayer, this is determined by the permissions (it's the maxresolution setting in the image permission). To keep traffic low, it's recommendable for server admins to keep this value as low as possible.

The value you set depends on how much VRAM you have and how many images you want to place in the world. Posters have a fixed memory overhead when loaded to the GPU into VRAM (irrespective of the original file size). It's highly recommendable to set a power-of-2 resolution (e.g. 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096 etc). I wouldn't recommend setting higher values than 2048 due to high VRAM consumption.

This table provides an overview of how much VRAM a single poster (loaded from a png file) would consume, depending on the resolution:

ResolutionMemory Consumption
    256x25685 KB
    512x512341 KB
    1024x10241.3 MB
    2048x20485.3 MB
    4096x409621.3 MB

Changing this value only affects newly uploaded images btw. You can also change it in singleplayer on the fly by typing setoption customimageresolution <resolution> into console ;)

This might also help with the aspect ratio of posters (using original image especially for rare resolutions). My posters all look squished as they start as 1:1, even if they are meant to be vertical 16:9 for example. So I am trying to guess the correct aspect ratio by resizing.

Yeah, it's probably better if the poster will adapt to the original aspect ratio... I'll put it on our to-do list :)

• #Bug
    Black Wool has the same image as White Wool when a container is opened for the first time after loading (test done in single player)... The image is updated when trying to move and add it to the white stack.

#Bugs or implementation pending?
    Black and White Wool have the same name (Wool), they produce the same type of Yarn (does not distinguish color and join in the same stack) but Wools of different colors do not join in the same stack.. It would not be ideal to have a Black Yarn , or remove Black Wool? I imagine this will change in the future, I don't have much knowledge of the non-unity version, but as it stands it looks like implementation is still on the way.

• Thanks for the hotfix, better each time :)

Yeah, it's probably better if the poster will adapt to the original aspect ratio... I'll put it on our to-do list :)

yup, should be nice like that

Btw red51 do you know what's the focus for the next update? Biomes, hostile NPC's, caves, ... ?

• Black Wool has the same image as White Wool when a container is opened for the first time after loading (test done in single player)... The image is updated when trying to move and add it to the white stack.

Oh, thanks for letting me know! We'll change that ;)

Black and White Wool have the same name (Wool), they produce the same type of Yarn (does not distinguish color and join in the same stack) but Wools of different colors do not join in the same stack.. It would not be ideal to have a Black Yarn , or remove Black Wool? I imagine this will change in the future, I don't have much knowledge of the non-unity version, but as it stands it looks like implementation is still on the way.

Well, basically there is no specific use-case for black wool, so it just turns into the same type of yarn (more precisely, there is just a generic type of yarn). Similar to how all different tree log pieces turn into the same wood ^^

Btw red51 do you know what's the focus for the next update? Biomes, hostile NPC's, caves, ... ?

We'll now start working on aggressive animals, mounts, caves and biomes. The next update will probably introduce mounts first :)

• Another minor hotfix is available now btw :saint: It's just a clientside update, so no need to update multiplayer servers for this

Hotfix 2023-07-07:

• [Change] Mattress now has a slightly bigger interaction radius (so it remains usable after hiding it inside a block)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed arch doors sometimes not having collision
    • [Bugfix] Fixed metal trashcan not being fully paintable

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!