Update 0.7: Biomes, Caves and much more!

• Thanks for your feedback! :)

Good afternoon, such a question. Will new mining and crafting materials be added? Such as sand, hellstone, ice, snow, and so on, because now only stone is extracted from everything.

Yes, that's still on our to-do list :) Probably this will be added with one of the next updates^^

Just 2 things: since the last hotfix, the game can't be launched in Steam in Linux. It just seems to be starting but then the icon goes back to "Play" in Steam. Was working fine before the last hotfix. I uninstalled and reinstalled and no luck.

Hmm... which distro do you use? We didn't touch anything relevant with the hotfix, so it's unfortunately hard to tell what's causing this :wat: Does it work if you launch the game directly from the game files (from the "_New Version" folder)? If it still doesn't work, please have a look if there is a log file (if the "Logs" folder is missing, you can find the logs under "/home/username/.config/unity3d/JIW-Games/Rising World" on Linux

Another thing: looks like I can't interact with other people. The (...) appears when pointing to other players, but no matter what key or button I click, nothing happens.

Yeah, unfortunately this isn't implemented yet :/

• A new hotfix is now available btw (0.7.0.2). Multiplayer servers need to be updated.

This update fixes a bigger issue regarding the undo command, but also introduces a small change to cave generation (caves on cliffs generate a bit more naturally now, but unfortunately this doesn't affect existing islands) and fixes a few smaller issues. If you still run into any issues, please let us know! :)

Hotfix 0.7.0.2 (2024-02-06):

• [New] Sign text editor now has a proper formatting help ("?" button)
    • [Change] Cave entrances now generate more naturally if they spawn on cliffs (does not affect existing islands)
    • [Change] Increased spawnrate for bears, they now also spawn in other forests and plains
    • [Change] Updated loot table for frozen chests (which spawn in arctic regions)
    • [Change] Updated some missing item variants
    • [Bugfix] Fixed issue about undo command which resulted in invalid terrain IDs or water being spawned
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong text alignment and font size when writing on signs for the first time
    • [Bugfix] Fixed items in toolbelt being mixed up after reloading the world
    • [Bugfix] Fixed horses getting unlocked when removing the saddle bag
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong item variant when picking up objects (e.g gifts or lionhead statue)
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong object variants in inventory after reloading a world
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing icon for arid forest grass
    • [Bugfix] Fixed water and ice rocks not being visible behind glass panes
    • [Bugfix] Fixed LOD chunks not being updated if modifications where done below sea level
    • [Bugfix] Fixed a few smaller API related issues
  • tried to update. its doing some weird stuff while trying to do so. not sure if its steam or not. ive reinstalled the game and restarted steam as well.

Everything related to downloads is unfortunately out of our control, that's entirely handled by Steam :/ Another user had a similar issue a few days ago, but apparently it was related to his firewall...

In case of doubt, I would recommend to restart Steam first (or alternatively verify the game files) ;)

• Thx for the update!:thumbup:

Also many improvements I hoped for!

I have one question and one thing I realized:

I realized that in the savanna is also one kind of very wet looking soil in some places which is common in the taiga or temperate forest. Maybe it should be more dry looking? (more into a grey pale not that much color tone). Variation is nice but it looks too wet for a savanna biom.

Will it it be like in the Java Version where certain resources will be in different depths below the earth? This was nice because you need to dig or find a deep cave to get special materials and not at the surface accesable at the beginning of the game. So you need to make progress before getting certain materials.

• I realized that in the savanna is also one kind of very wet looking soil in some places which is common in the taiga or temperate forest. Maybe it should be more dry looking? (more into a grey pale not that much color tone). Variation is nice but it looks too wet for a savanna biom.

The problem is that we don't have local weather effects implemented yet... so if it's raining (globally), the ground will become wet in the savannah (this was probably what you were seeing)... but this is on our to-do list ;)

Will it it be like in the Java Version where certain resources will be in different depths below the earth? This was nice because you need to dig or find a deep cave to get special materials and not at the surface accesable at the beginning of the game. So you need to make progress before getting certain materials.

Certain ores are basically only available at deep elevations, e.g. sulfur ;) Other ores (like tungsten or gold) could spawn near the surface though, but have a much higher spawn chance the deeper you go. However, we didn't touch that recently, but since there are now caves in the game, we will probably tweak the ore distribution in the future^^

• Hmm... which distro do you use? We didn't touch anything relevant with the hotfix, so it's unfortunately hard to tell what's causing this :wat: Does it work if you launch the game directly from the game files (from the "_New Version" folder)? If it still doesn't work, please have a look if there is a log file (if the "Logs" folder is missing, you can find the logs under "/home/username/.config/unity3d/JIW-Games/Rising World" on Linux

Debian.

Anyway looks like this was an issue with Steam: upon checking the files in _Nwe Version, I noticed there was an exe file but no Linux executable, even though it was set to use the native one.

I forced native environment with no luck. I forced proton, then native again and this time it downloaded the right files and runs fine. Yay!

• Another thing red51 , I really love the lighting as time passes, the lighting at night with the moon is awesome and the sunsets are inspired. Amazing job.

There are 2 things with lighting that may need some attention though.

One, I hope, is trivial: at certain times the self shadows over rocks and rocky terrain is so dark that looks like coal and is very confusing. May it be tweaked so it is not as dark?

The other, with my limited understanding of the engine I think it would be much more complicated: the way the illumination works when going underground: when you start going down in a cave you can see in the distance as if the interior was as illuminated as where you are standing, but as you get deeper those same areas get darker, and looking back even near the entrance is as dark. Are you using some sort of global lighting maybe? Can this be "fixed" so dark places are dark no matter where you are looking from and vice-versa as in real life?

Thank you!

• Anyway looks like this was an issue with Steam: upon checking the files in _Nwe Version, I noticed there was an exe file but no Linux executable, even though it was set to use the native one.

I forced native environment with no luck. I forced proton, then native again and this time it downloaded the right files and runs fine. Yay!

Hmm... this looks like Steam-related issue to me :thinking: The depot files (for Linux) are correct, so I'm afraid this is out of our control :silenced:

One, I hope, is trivial: at certain times the self shadows over rocks and rocky terrain is so dark that looks like coal and is very confusing. May it be tweaked so it is not as dark?

Do you mind sharing a screenshot of the issue? Just to verify if it's really the shadows or maybe something like ambient occlusion ;)

The other, with my limited understanding of the engine I think it would be much more complicated: the way the illumination works when going underground: when you start going down in a cave you can see in the distance as if the interior was as illuminated as where you are standing, but as you get deeper those same areas get darker, and looking back even near the entrance is as dark. Are you using some sort of global lighting maybe? Can this be "fixed" so dark places are dark no matter where you are looking from and vice-versa as in real life?

Unfortunately this is basically a technical limitation :/ Unitys HDRP provides no way to modify lighting, so unlike in the Java version, we have no direct control over that... it would be necessary to implement a custom lighting model (including custom handling of shadows etc), but even that's a bit tricky in HDRP (due to limited control) and it would be a tremendous amount of work (it's a bit like reinventing the wheel)... so right now we have no better solution for that unfortunately...

This may change, however, if HDRP either becomes more versatile in the future, or if we switch to another render pipeline...

There should be a :lol: React option ;)

It's available now :D :lol:

• HI everybody, i have a wierd problem were i dont have a radial menu anymore, nothing happends when i hit C . And also i have seizure inducing Flashes when i start the game and the Mainmenu comes up. If anybody has an idea what to do, i would appreciate the help.

• Red... Really thank you for all your effort! I know there has been a lot of pressure from all of us but you always manage to surprise us. You have handled this entire migration in an extremely professional manner, I mean it. It is very noticeable, especially in that the very few existing bugs are generally corrected quickly and, as I said before, they are rare. I think your work is very clean and the game has really improved a lot, every day it gets a little better. I have played games like Assassins Creed and I throw them in the trash because of so many horrible bugs, one after the other. Congratulations to you and the other boy who is lucky enough to help you, they are heroes without capes :)

Personally, I want to thank you for adding nopals and lilies to the game, it helps me a lot and I really appreciate it!

The game at this stage has almost replaced the original JAVA, without fear that other users will hate me for saying this, TAKE DEVELOPMENT FROM NOW ON CALMLY AND TRANQUILLY. The game as it stands today is practically 100% functional in survival mode. The rest that remains are luxuries, and every luxury must be polished, forged by fire, with flow and calm ;) again congratulations for your great effort and work, but above all for your time. Everyone here is very happy that this game is what it is today thanks to you.

Regarding some small observations regarding the new update, personally I can no longer fly [F2] fast [Shift] up, although I have not seen anyone comment on it, if it is a bug that is happening to me. I can fly fast in all directions except up. If you could take a look at it... I would really appreciate it.

Another "bug" I found is that in empty worlds (my world believes it to be completely empty to build on, including the terrain) now different (flat) areas with diverse biomes began to appear, a kind of islands. It doesn't bother me, but I think the game shouldn't do that in "super empty" worlds.

I have a question: how do I disable the fact that when I copy a material within the world, its color is also copied?! Is it possible? If so, could you integrate that option into the radial menu? Greetings, and sorry for not thanking you here before. There is no much time.

• i have a wierd problem were i dont have a radial menu anymore, nothing happends when i hit C

You could check if the key binding is still correct... it's in the settings under Controls -> Building -> "Context Menu (Building)" (quite at the bottom). Is it still bound to "C"?

Also bear in mind that the building menu only shows up if you have a block or placable object (like furniture) in your hands :)

And also i have seizure inducing Flashes when i start the game and the Mainmenu comes up

Hmm... when does it flash exactly? Before the JIW logo shows up? In this case, you could try to change the "Display Mode" (under Graphics settings) to "Fullscreen Windowed" (or if it's already set to this mode, change it to "Fullscreen" instead).

If that doesn't help, could you maybe share a small video of this issue?

Red... Really thank you for all your effort! I know there has been a lot of pressure from all of us but you always manage to surprise us. You have handled this entire migration in an extremely professional manner, I mean it. It is very noticeable, especially in that the very few existing bugs are generally corrected quickly and, as I said before, they are rare. I think your work is very clean and the game has really improved a lot, every day it gets a little better. I have played games like Assassins Creed and I throw them in the trash because of so many horrible bugs, one after the other. Congratulations to you and the other boy who is lucky enough to help you, they are heroes without capes :)

Thank you so much for your kind words! :):thumbup:

personally I can no longer fly [F2] fast [Shift] up, although I have not seen anyone comment on it, if it is a bug that is happening to me

Oh, thanks for letting me know! I can confirm that this doesn't work properly anymore... probably most people use the "Advanced Mode" for "Fly Mode Speed Control" in the Misc settings (which causes the flying mode act like in the Java version), I guess that's why this hasn't been reported yet ^^ But we'll change that with one of the next hotfixes :)

nother "bug" I found is that in empty worlds (my world believes it to be completely empty to build on, including the terrain) now different (flat) areas with diverse biomes began to appear, a kind of islands. It doesn't bother me, but I think the game shouldn't do that in "super empty" worlds.

Hmm... what kind of "empty world" do you have exactly? Is it a "superflat" world?

I have a question: how do I disable the fact that when I copy a material within the world, its color is also copied?! Is it possible? If so, could you integrate that option into the radial menu?

There is indeed a setting for that, but unfortunately it's not exposed to the settings menu yet... we'll change that :)

In the meantime, you can open the "config.properties" file in the game directory (in the "_New Version") subfolder and change Game_CopyBlockColor to false, then save the file, and run the game again^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!