Status Update: Vegetation and grass

• I speak English, but for some special phrases I use Google translater. Copy text and let it work, very comfortable.

The quote was just to help asap.

We often have the same questions in both forums I could have translated the quote as well, but I didn't know that was necessary. :)

• Will we be able to Change textures of doors? For example, in the current version, you can change textures of wood with ANY texture using commands.

Idea: /Object GlassDoor 1 155

Yes, we will be able to paint objects. Like doors.

There will be a tool for that i guess

• Oh, I just want to avoid misunderstandings: We're not sure if you will actually be able to change the texture of an object. The only feature that's planned is the ability to paint object, i.e. change their color / hue. E.g. turn a white door into a red door. Sorry if this has caused some confusion :(

However, we're thinking about the ability to change the actual texture of certain objects (e.g. turn a mahogany door into a chipboard door). It would be certainly a cool feature, but we can't promise this will be implemented :|

• How long will it take if you were to implement multiplayer for the demo? And how unstable would it be?

Not too long, but we have no ETA for this yet. We implement every feature with multiplayer in mind (so the game is basically separated into a client and server, just like the old version), however, there is still some additional work involved to finalize the dedicated server ;)

Can't say much about whether or not it will be "unstable". Multiplayer should be stable when it's ready, but of course there is always a chance that there are bugs. Unlike the old version, the new version solely relies on UDP for networking - which is "connectionless", so basically this should improve overall stability compared to the old version (which used UDP and TCP connections).

This is a dumb question: When the demo comes out, would it be nearly possible to host a LAN server with a Port-Tunneling service such as Hamachi?

No, unfortunately the first playable demo has no multiplayer support at all.

• Is the Demo based on Java or on C++/C#
    because Java is memory hungry as far as I remember..

Specially when it comes to hosting servers.

Hi Renjestoo the demo that you are asking about is the new version that's being redone in Unity, also it will be manly a "Tech demo" or a walking demo so Red51 can see how it is working, and as far as i know will be only single player. you can keep right up to date here https://trello.com/b/t5Leypcj/rising-world-development

• Is the Demo based on Java or on C++/C#
    because Java is memory hungry as far as I remember..

The new version is written in C# and C++, although technically speaking the C# part will be converted to C++ as well in the built version (via IL2CPP) - so actually the new version (including the demo) will be C++ only. However, Java isn't that bad when it comes to memory consumption and management, in fact it's superior to C# and miles ahead of Unity. Fun fact, memory allocation in Java is even faster than in C++.

From this point of view, memory consumption of the dedicated server will increase unfortunately (due to the overhead of Unity, which is much bigger than the overhead of a JVM). Still, when speaking about "overhead", we're talking about pretty small numbers. The biggest part (> 90%) of the allocated memory will be used by the server itself (for the world, server logic, npcs, player handling etc). For instance, the overhead of Java or the Java VM is maybe 40-50 mb.

But as Groovaholic mentioned, unfortunately there will be no multiplayer available in the first demo release. It will be ready in a subsequent update ;)

• How long do you expect it would take for you guys to put multiplayer In the game, after the Demo?

Basically multiplayer is already in the game, or more precisely, we implement everything with multiplayer in mind - this means the game is separated into a "client" and an integrated "server" (just like the old version), and every interaction with the world is synced between the "client" and "server". However, before we can release a multiplayer demo, we first have to get playermodels and proper animations ready (so you can actually see other players). There is also some additional work required to get the dedicated server or Steam P2P ready.

Since we don't have an ETA for the demo, we can't say how much longer it takes to get the multiplayer ready... :|

• Basically multiplayer is already in the game, or more precisely, we implement everything with multiplayer in mind - this means the game is separated into a "client" and an integrated "server" (just like the old version), and every interaction with the world is synced between the "client" and "server". However, before we can release a multiplayer demo, we first have to get playermodels and proper animations ready (so you can actually see other players). There is also some additional work required to get the dedicated server or Steam P2P ready.

Since we don't have an ETA for the demo, we can't say how much longer it takes to get the multiplayer ready...

Ah, I see, that is understandable!

• I really like what i saw in the new demo version so far like how the snow is covering all the vegetation/grass and even some of the "objects" like the big rocks. https://gyazo.com/b6157f9dfa7ef6720a9b0b5129cafda5

I do take in consideration that this is a demo and you might already think about adding the following but here are my 2 suggestion i contemplated during this demo play time for trees/vegetation.

Suggestions, please implement snow textures for the tress that are cut in pieces aswell.

https://gyazo.com/dee61ad47d7fab61ea0cda88c3e084e8

Suggestions, please implement hiting tree efects, for example when the tree is covered in snow and you hit it then a bit of snow will fall when hitting the tree, for other seasons there can be

small branches and leaves falling down when hitting a tree, i know there is already 1 effect in place when a tree is cut and falls to the ground there will be a bunch of leaves falling down afterward.

I still want to see more about the seasons and how everything will blend out because ones of my favorites seasons are Winter and Autumn, cant wait to see the colorful Autumn in the future updates!

I really want to see the world alive and such details like those can make the player immersed in the game, for example such little things like the footprints can add so much realism to the game and i thank you for adding them!

• Thanks for your feedback Dn25Crow :)

Suggestions, please implement snow textures for the tress that are cut in pieces aswell.

I agree, it would look a lot better if the individual pieces were also covered with snow. I'll put that on our list ;)

Suggestions, please implement hiting tree efects, for example when the tree is covered in snow and you hit it then a bit of snow will fall when hitting the tree, for other seasons there can be

small branches and leaves falling down when hitting a tree, i know there is already 1 effect in place when a tree is cut and falls to the ground there will be a bunch of leaves falling down afterward.

It's our intention to add more details to these things ^^ There is basically so much room for small details, and we will put a bigger focus on that once the core features of the game are a bit more fleshed out.

I still want to see more about the seasons and how everything will blend out because ones of my favorites seasons are Winter and Autumn, cant wait to see the colorful Autumn in the future updates!

Seasons are planned, but probably they will only be added after the 1.0 release because proper seasons require a lot of work.

• red51

Closed the thread.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!