Update 0.2: Building Update

• Also just a pet peeve difference in construction between java and the new version. When you hold a construction element, say a beam, with the grid turned off by default it sits flush with the surface you are pointing at - this is like the java version and I like it. However if you turn grid on, the beam goes through the surface you aim at, leaving approximately half the beam above and half below your cursor. This makes it really annoying to place vertical beams of the desired height when the grid is on. In the image attached, the two vertical beams are the same length. The one on the left is placed with grid on, right with grid off.

• In java version, to avoid that issu with the grid, I changed the scale of the grid until my beam stopped to have some part in the ground ;) I didn't try that in the new version yet ;)

• Also just a pet peeve difference in construction between java and the new version. When you hold a construction element, say a beam, with the grid turned off by default it sits flush with the surface you are pointing at - this is like the java version and I like it. However if you turn grid on, the beam goes through the surface you aim at, leaving approximately half the beam above and half below your cursor. This makes it really annoying to place vertical beams of the desired height when the grid is on. In the image attached, the two vertical beams are the same length. The one on the left is placed with grid on, right with grid off.

Have you tried restarting the game to see if you still get the same thing happing? I know what you mean with the grid but its not doing it for me, but there is another way if you see that the element is into the ground more than you like if you press the right CTRL (this will lock it in place) ( you can freely move about) you can then manually move it up & down with the page up / page down keys.

Not sure if this is the correct way but it works

In Java it's the same. To avoid this either use a smaller grid, as Groovaholic suggested, just make a shorter beam or simply use pgup until its above ground

• red51 when do you plan on incorporating terrain modification like rake/sledgehammer/laying dirt/stone? Is that coming as a patch to the building update or with a later build like multiplayer or terrain generation?

These items are definitely planned, and I understand that they become quite important now. Unfortunately I can't give an ETA for that yet, but we try to get them ready ASAP :)

Also just a pet peeve difference in construction between java and the new version. When you hold a construction element, say a beam, with the grid turned off by default it sits flush with the surface you are pointing at - this is like the java version and I like it. However if you turn grid on, the beam goes through the surface you aim at, leaving approximately half the beam above and half below your cursor. This makes it really annoying to place vertical beams of the desired height when the grid is on. In the image attached, the two vertical beams are the same length. The one on the left is placed with grid on, right with grid off.

We wanted to get the same behaviour as blocks had in the Java version (placing a block on the ground rather places the block "in the ground", at least on terrain). In the Java version, this behaviour wasn't too bad since it gave a pretty good foundation for a building, without the need to remove terrain or build stairs. However, we will check out if we could maybe improve this behaviour a bit. Maybe we could even add an option for that.

• Thanks for the reply red! I do see what you mean when it comes to placing directly on land to work as a foundation, as blocks work in java. However as someone who mainly builds with beams in java, the behaviour is very different. Maybe if there was a toggle or something?

In reply to above, in java with beams the behaviour is definitely not the same. In Java if you stand on a flat surface with the grid on, the object will sit flush against the nearest grid line in Z dimension. If that aligns with the floor, it will be flush (see the screenshot from the java version for proof, grid on left, no grid on right, both beams are same height above ground). In the unity this is not the case. It also has nothing to do with grid size, in the bottom image from the unity version I have demonstrated this. The left beam is with grid off, then the remainders are with grid on but with each different grid size (from max on left to min on right). As you can see, grid size has nothing to do with the positioning in the Z dimension here.

Of course you can freeze the object with ctrl and then manually position it how you want it, but that is a ton of work compared to how the java system worked, its not the best option.

• JF91 We will look for a solution for this, I agree that it would be better if the element behaves like in the Java version in this case (at least if a larger scale than 1 is selected - otherwise, for regular sized blocks, I would probably prefer the current behaviour). Maybe we find a compromise, otherwise we will just add a toggle for that ^^

• i am pretty sure that depending on the height of the terrain the beam in java version was also sinking into the ground. But maybe you don´t speak about "beams" but "blocks"? that is different of course, i agree here.

Though its a matter of getting used to it. The unity blocks/beams are by default set to the grid in the world. The difference is that you can move it freely. So you could just place anywhere you want and along with the docking points (or just aim at a free spot between the dots to connect the beams as well) you can get a straight line without wondering about the specialities of the new building system.

Alternatively just use the grid, place the beam and then add one on top until you are at the surface and then dock beams on the sides. Its a little workaround.

After all i can understand that if someone was used to block-building its now a lot more difficult. But i ask you to have some patience and get used to the new system. To give it a fair chance. To not compare it to the building in the old version but see it as a new way to do the same. If you use the additional freedom it gives you or not is up to you.

I didn´t build with normal blocks in Java version for years and i think i was pretty PnB-secure. But now i feel like getting thrown back into first grade. Its a learning curve and it takes a while. I envy those who can adjust to the new system so fast. But i am glad they do as that way others can learn from them.

• Glad to know it's now working and like i said sometimes just restarting the game helps (don't ask me how) but it has helped me a few times in both versions.

I mean it was working one way for 4 or 5 reboots of the game, started working differently briefly, and now back to how it is. So I have no idea what is really going on XD

• A new update is now available, which should fix most of the current issues out there ;) If you still find any issues, please let us know! And of course feedback is always appreciated ^^

Hotfix 2021-05-03 (0.2.0.1):

• [New] Pivots for remaining construction elements (rounded block, corner elements etc) are now available
    • [New] New block shape: Half cone
    • [New] Fly mode no-clip setting is now accessible in the misc settings
    • [New] Added frame limiter setting (see graphics settings)
    • [New] Added "findbase" console command
    • [Change] Manual positioning now stays active after changing the item (need feedback)
    • [Change] Added additional preset slot to building radial menu
    • [Change] Increased default duration of a day from 42 to 60 minutes
    • [Change] Changed tiling for some wood textures
    • [Change] It now takes 2 hits to destroy blocks in creative mode
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong rotation if modular snapping is active
    • [Bugfix] Fixed texture issue on rounded block
    • [Bugfix] Fixed texture on slope getting stretched on certain rotations
    • [Bugfix] Editing surface offset of rounded block no longer breaks the mesh
    • [Bugfix] Fixed missing tooltips and drag&drop items after returning to the main menu
    • [Bugfix] Fixed rotation not working right after enabling the manual positioning mode
    • [Bugfix] Changing block shape after splitting the stack no longer affects both stacks
    • [Bugfix] Fixed inventory sometimes being cleared for no reason
    • [Bugfix] Fixed reset button in settings not working correctly
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong door scale (thickness) after resizing it
    • [Bugfix] Fixed wrong wind intensity on snow effect

Edited 2 times, last by red51: Fixed remaining issues in todays mini update ().

• How to change the direction of the block pattern?

Unfortunately you can't change the texture pattern right now. It's a limitation of how the texture coordinates are calculated (to avoid seams between different elements, like in the Java version). However, we're working on a setting to change the texture alignment manually ;)

• When will be added, furniture, glass, windows, doors, and when will be added a choice of maps, flat or with irregularities, with holes with water, with caves, as in the Java version, will there be any transport like boats, trains, cars?

• When will be added, furniture, glass, windows, doors, and when will be added a choice of maps, flat or with irregularities, with holes with water, with caves, as in the Java version, will there be any transport like boats, trains, cars?

Unfortunately I can't give a specific ETA, but all these things are planned ;)

• In short,

"Its ready when its ready".

I'm amused when that saying sets trolls off. Not saying that person is, just amused in a general sense. That is however a fact for gaming. I hope we can at least get glass textures sooner than everything else listed in the above posting. I still need a proper session with Rising World though. I love what it is in the game currently.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!