Gliding

A big new update is now available, introducing biomes, caves and much more!
Latest hotfix: 0.7.0.3 (2024-02-21)
  • Red51 noted a few simple times about gliding and how we would potentially have a hang-glider. It had me wondering, especially with how various Asian (Chinese & Japanese) games now favour gliding to get around in their game making me wonder about Rising World's state of things. I did note this on Steam forums in a bit of an obnoxious state, I'm however still curious now using this forum to post images to hopefully get further thoughts displayed.

Feel free to move this to suggestions if necessary. I simply wanted to discuss gliding now that we're spoiled by it in various games. The feeling of desiring flight, or simply gliding around.

-----------

It's been noted 'Breath of the Wild' on Switch "did it first", to which I've experienced it first on Craftopia. My most experienced and loved implementation of gliding is in Genshin Impact using preplaced thermals to venture around with some additional items boosting speed for a few seconds. The scenery is overly stunning when gliding around.

(Noelle over the recently added 'Chasm' in Genshin Impact.)

I'm aware Minecraft has their Elytra, something I've never properly experienced in vanilla. Others have, even using it far more than I ever could. I hate it, it's too fast, too clunky requiring fireworks to get places.

- Craftopia - Gliders:

Friend introduced me to gliders in Craftopia while they were heavily into Genshin Impact before we switched spots. They noted how they forgot they weren't playing Breath of the Wilds, or Genshin to which they would obtain fall damage in Rising World, Minecraft, etc happily gliding in both Craftopia and Genshin. I haven't played this game since, just that Craftopia spoiled me, then Genshin after that.

Zenith MMO:

Not the best image, though it's fairly close to what I'm showing.

Image shows my friend zip-tying his way around while I watch, curse, and mumble my way around. To fly around you have to T-pose in VR mode making your way around on limited stamina. The more you play the further you'll be able to fly. Best thing about this was how you could angle your hands (controller) upwards or downward to move upwards or downwards in varying pitch. Seeing how VR is far off I simply wanted to note the satisfaction in gliding here. Gliding, that's all I wanted to note for Zenith, even if it's a wonky and clunky game.

------

Rising World's Gliding:

If my memory serves me correct, I believe Red51 desired a hang glider in this image form below.

That's fine, I'm fine with this. I however am still genuinely curious, somewhat worried about how it shall handle in Rising World. How accessible, mobile, and fun is it? Does the Medieval Era gain their own variant, or will everything "fun" be in the modern era? I however have to note a few concerns about how we handle them in Rising World. For continual use could we snap the gliders onto our backs, or just a tinier version? Could they potential make use of thermals at random (over hot biomes), and even be able to climb up gliding towers to continue to hang glide? If we ever do get proper gliders, ones you could even attach to your back for easy mobility, I would make gliding towers, even ones you could even glide to from one to the next with ease. Whatever I have to do, I will do it for the smoothest gliding experience.

I don't expect them to go stupidly fast as in Minecraft, more of a respectable speed of Genshin and Craftopia at a more noteworthy pace. If done right I wouldn't even suggest having helicopters or simple prop planes, though those I still would love to suggest.

Potential "beginner" and/or Medieval Variant.

With the biomes update upcoming in two parts (as of this posting) we have a few more weeks to go. Has me wondering if we could tap into the gliders then, after, or after-after, potentially in an NPC update. Maybe use it as a surprise update? Whatever Red51 wants to do.

We need to tap into the sky of Rising World, something that's even under-utilized even in Minecraft, even poorly handled by Mojang's Microsoft side of things. I'm an overly curious person, I simply want to know more and how people would view gliding in Rising World.

• Hehe, it's indeed our intention to add hang gliders to the game :saint: We will probably start working on that some time after the world generation update. I'm also curious about how well it will work with the physics engine, but it's already promising - I'm sure it will be a lot of fun :D

In general, it would be nice to have more flexible ways of movement. Considering mountains can be a lot higher in the new version compared to the Java version (up to 4 times higher), it would be a good idea to put a bigger focus on such ways of movement. That would also include other things like hot air balloons, grappling hooks etc.

Btw, I'm not aversed to a fantasy-approach either - e.g. some sort of wings that could be found in dungeons (which would basically just act as a "fancy glider", but a bit more flexible). This may be something that could make looting more rewarding.

But this is something we definitely need more feedback about... maybe we'll do a survey once the new version is a bit more fleshed out ^^

• i like this idea of the fantasy-approach - some type of strap on wing would be awesome, and ones with driffent look and speed would also make looking for loot or fighting some kind of winged creatures even if it is mythological, more worthwhile, would definitely be a welcome addition.

Drogon-Spoils-of-War-Battle-of-the-Goldroad.jpg

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Rising Cities @ ip 52.53.149.132:4255 ServerName (Rising Cities) Unity :thumbsup:

If you want to run a server how about using my AutoServerInstallers go here to download >>>RWAutoServerInstaller for Unity And Java<<<

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

31245-logo-png
  • After world gen? Awesome. I'm also hoping it'll be a lot of fun, one of the best ways to get around.

hot air balloons? Nice. Grappling hooks could work, though curious what you'd think of helicopters themselves. We'll see where you start off first. Always need the first piece of the puzzle first.

Dungeons with gliding and other sorts? I'd welcome it.

As for Yahgiggle, I'd be fine with taming dragons from egg form to then have them fly around, etc. Obviously have to be rare, though something I'd welcome.

• My recent trip to British Columbia (Canada), and the Vancouver area gave me many more ideas, some of which are even points noted in the first part.

- Paragliding - Propeller on the back with a glider

52234991056_8708911fa0_c.jpg20220722_201823 by SubTrance, on Flickr

---

Would also be neat to fly on "slow" planes aimed for cargo and transportation, such as the Beavers, De Havilland, Twin Otters, etc. Air strips, water, and for survival necessities. If not Canadian aircraft then go for German oriented ones. Show off your German pride with the 'Dornier 228' aircraft, which is noted in being superior in carrying capabilities & speeds.

52228644831_bee01929ab_c.jpg20220719_191008 by SubTrance, on Flickr

52227642077_c55a423249_c.jpg20220719_191303 by SubTrance, on Flickr

52239627851_80051c61ca_c.jpg20220724_135755 by SubTrance, on Flickr

https://www.smartaviation-apac…er-228-versus-twin-otter/

I feel these planes (either Canadian or German oriented) would fit well in Rising World's setting.

If planes are still an issue then I at the very least recommend helicopters of any sort. It can be the one in the image, A German one, or anything else.

52231895847_c9895a0969_c.jpg20220721_192536 by SubTrance, on Flickr

Just as long as they can carry some form of cargo then I'll shall be even happier. They'll see more and more use as more updates release.

(I had fun on Ferries, Harbour Air sea planes, Helicopter ride into mountain, trains, etc. Whatever Vancouver had to offer).

• Time for a random post relating to "player movement", etc. A player on the Steam forums (claims to have development experience) constantly brings up many things, views me as a "villain", so I'm sharing it here instead for a more "neutral" take. I'm not telling Red51 to take things in this way, just that it's something to view and "consider" in a very light tone. Nothing serious. I doubt Rising World have parkour, though would be interesting if it tried.

I'm not a fan of this game, I'm only viewing it for "scientific purposes". The whole movement system, the "vaulting" (spiderman webbing), wall climbing (also view Conan Exile), and gliding. Red51 said we would get gliding, and I'm still wishing for that hoping it'll be genuinely fun experience. I would LOVE to glide. As for "vaulting", that falls under 'hook shots', etc. Forgot what Red51's official statement was on that. Still have yet to hear about Red51's take on terrain climbing, structure climbing, etc.

We've got ladders, and I have been using them. Gliding is a "WIP; Soon", and etc. If it isn't too much pressure or hassle it be nice to get some information on "vaulting", "gliding", etc.

I'm just eager to "fly" and "glide" in Rising World. Saw that Youtube video so I'm curious to see if there is anything new on that front. Everything is for "scientific purposes". :monocle:

• I'd love to have climbing be a thing too, i made a suggestion on the steam forums but no one payed it any mind... :verysad:

"No fun allowed".

People claim one thing then they do another thing, hence why I pointed out their flaws. People claim to support Red51 then do things not to support Red51.

Gliding, climbing, etc, shall be neat to see what Red51 has cooked up. Still want to know how gliding shall work in Rising World.

• Has gliding ever been planned for RW? Multiplayer servers already lag a bunch when admins fly around, I can't imagine how bad the lag would be if all the players were flying around.

Green Valleys - PvE Survival - Land Claims/Portals/SetHome - discord.gg/6gEbPXCHrV

• Has gliding ever been planned for RW? Multiplayer servers already lag a bunch when admins fly around, I can't imagine how bad the lag would be if all the players were flying around.

From the very start. Red51 has firmly stated it himself, in a JAVA roadmap, and again in a post he responded in. Just look at post #2.

As for lag on servers, that seems to be a server problem, etc. It's one of those situations you have to live with what you have, as I had to do for VRChat, etc. Make do with what you have. Find a better server hosting, etc.

• if the unity API is anything like the java API it would be kind of simple from a plugin standpoint. have an item to equip and simply reduce gravity until the next mesh collision. add a physics impulse for control. as for lag i can see it causing a little but nothing that would be game breaking. when admins are flying around i think the the lag is caused by the constant loading/unloading of chunks. that being said you could simply set gravity to a safe rate that wouldn't allow them to pass threw more than 3 chunks. as for gliding and being able to gain altitude would be able to cause a lot of lag.

• if the unity API is anything like the java API it would be kind of simple from a plugin standpoint. have an item to equip and simply reduce gravity until the next mesh collision. add a physics impulse for control. as for lag i can see it causing a little but nothing that would be game breaking. when admins are flying around i think the the lag is caused by the constant loading/unloading of chunks. that being said you could simply set gravity to a safe rate that wouldn't allow them to pass threw more than 3 chunks. as for gliding and being able to gain altitude would be able to cause a lot of lag.

i think the lag is due to the speed the admins are flying, gliding could be a lot lot slower, i don't see lift been a problem with lag

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Rising Cities @ ip 52.53.149.132:4255 ServerName (Rising Cities) Unity :thumbsup:

If you want to run a server how about using my AutoServerInstallers go here to download >>>RWAutoServerInstaller for Unity And Java<<<

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

31245-logo-png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!