Portals Plugin for Unity

• Portals v4

The Portal Plugin has been Updated Again, sorry its a on going project, as i make it, users request new things!!! and then adjustments are made

To place a portal hit the P key -- you need to be at the location you want the first portal to be at

The menu will open and you can enter the colour by clicking the colour enter the entrance and exit names then exit the menu by clicking the red X at the top right

you can then goto your exit location and hit the O key, this sets the exit portal

The Names or new portals wont show for new players till they log off and back on, this may change in another update

Version 3

• Sound effects
    • has names for both ends
    • has databases for each world
    • an adjustment for the placing of the name tag
    • no longer need to hit enter, just exit the menu
    • Now has Admin Setting Command is /portals use the ingame chat for commands
    • Admins can now teleport to any portal from the Admin Panel
    • Admins can rename any portal from the Admin panel
    • Admins can now Delete portal sets A portal set is the entrance and exit
    • on teleport exit now cannot get stick in a teleport loop if the server is slow to load

Version 4

• Bug fix's
    • Removed some chat text messages
    • changed the way prefabs are loaded, should reduce memory usage

Version 4.1

• Not Null Bug Fix

Version 4.2

• Added rotation, the rotation is now set to the players rotation, This needs a new DB to work (sorry) the old DB wont work with this version 4.2
    • Fixed portals not displaying for all players when placed
    • All players can now use the (/portals) command only admins can delete and rename portals, but all players can use the teleport to any portal button.
    • Now you need to hold down the leftshift key plus hit the P key to open the menu, to place a entrance portal, hold down leftshift and push the O key to place the Exit portal  Note: you now use the buttons in the ui to place both portals

Version 4.3

• Small update, fixed text names not showing when placing new portals

Version 4.4

• Added more options under the UI now can select clear portal - clear = no effect so its invisible apart from the text - also added Settings Place entrance and place exit buttons,
    • player now exits the portal facing away from the portal in the direction the portal was placed.

Version 4.5

• Whole new UI
    • Removed commands - everything is now done in the UI admins and non admin players both use the leftshift + p keys to open the menu
    • Added option for Admins to turn on or off the Teleport menu for non admin players - if the option is off - non admins cannot see the non admin teleport menu
    • When using the teleport menu to teleport you will now be teleported and rotated facing away from the teleport

Version 4.6

• When deleting a portal the portal and its text are now fully removed, for all players at the time of deleting it

Version 4.7

• Bug fix's
    • Portals no longer gets the information needed from the database on every block change.

Files

• PortalsV4.7.7z

(205.56 kB, downloaded 25 times, last: )

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • WOW, very cool :thumbup: :)

Thank you very much

yahgiggle how do you check with JAVA

if the player is in Portal ?

Thanks Kryssi_79

For knowing if a player is inside a portal is not even needed, the portal is just a location marker, the real information is taken from the players location so if player is in location xyz and this location matches a saved location in a database then the player is inside a portal. I will add my whole script once it's 100% finished, then you can look and see how it's done.

Yahgiggle Steam Signature, real name Deon Hamilton :thumbsup: Server @ ip 139.99.136.76:4255 Name (The Federation of territory) Unity :thumbsup:

If at first your code does not work call it version 0.1 with the odd bug :thinking:

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Looks promising yahgiggle. but I do not see any settings nor a way to adjust permissions. on a server with many players portals will be littered about everywhere in no time, with no way to remove them vs uninstalling the plugin. will be used by griefers unless proper settings and ability to limit it's use. just some thoughts. e.g. griefer makes portal in starting area, destination will over a chasm, griefer waits at bottom to collect loot from bodies whilst laughing maniacally. :D

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Looks promising yahgiggle. but I do not see any settings nor a way to adjust permissions. on a server with many players portals will be littered about everywhere in no time, with no way to remove them vs uninstalling the plugin. will be used by griefers unless proper settings and ability to limit it's use. just some thoughts. e.g. griefer makes portal in starting area, destination will over a chasm, griefer waits at bottom to collect loot from bodies whilst laughing maniacally. :D

Only admins can place them, well it's meant to be only admins oO

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Very nice, but from my point of view it would make more sense to give each portal a name so that you can only build one portal on site and choose where you want to be teleported - this way one portal per location is enough and you don't need space with "many" portals around to get to the desired goal - it was also the case with Stargate that you could set the goal.

• Works well. I would also like to see a way to name the portals and maybe a menu to select where you want to teleport to like room6675 said.

Also, how do you remove a portal? Doesn't seem to be a way to do that yet.

Green Valleys - PvE Survival - Land Claims/Portals/SetHome - discord.gg/EQ6a9mb

• I've now tested it at leisure. Works wonderfully. But: why two different colors for the portals when I come back to the entrance portal through the exit portal? It would make more sense to have the same color. It would be perfect if I also had a choice of colors in the future. How can I delete a portal again apart from deleting the entire database or noting down the location (x,y,z), searching for the portal in the DB and deleting this entry there?

• Looks very interesting If I had one criticism "and it's just mine" I would have liked a 3-second pause or a message telling me that you are now returning back the the to entrance portal ( named when possible) instead of that quick jump, :thumbup::thumbup:

Groovaholic

I can make it so you don't jump, the reason you do jump ATM is because you are inside the portal when you made it, but I can give you say 3 seconds to get out before you jump

Very nice, but from my point of view it would make more sense to give each portal a name so that you can only build one portal on site and choose where you want to be teleported - this way one portal per location is enough and you don't need space with "many" portals around to get to the desired goal - it was also the case with Stargate that you could set the goal.

room6675

I was going to do this but decided not to due to it not feeling like a portal, when you go inside a portal you don't get a menu to pick where you go, you just go wherever the portal takes you, what you really want is a teleporter. I think I can make another plugin but this one would have a teleporter room you get inside, let me think about this.

I've now tested it at leisure. Works wonderfully. But: why two different colors for the portals when I come back to the entrance portal through the exit portal? It would make more sense to have the same color. It would be perfect if I also had a choice of colors in the future. How can I delete a portal again apart from deleting the entire database or noting down the location (x,y,z), searching for the portal in the DB and deleting this entry there?

room6675

The two colours are for a player to know witch end they are at, say you are walking around and you find a red portal, well the idea was they then know it's a return portal, most likely to a main base, as I stated in my main post, a way to name and delete portals is coming, and other stuff like sound effects.

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • yahgiggle

hmmmm I don't see the difference between portal and teleporter but okay. The idea with the teleporter room is okay - although it probably makes sense here to only indicate the room or to indicate it with a narrow frame made of wooden strips 0.1 x 5 x 0.1 on an area of 5x5 blocks so that everyone can design the room themselves or maybe even as wall or surface.
    I think it would be really cool if you only saw the portal/teleporter circle which you can activate with the button/mouse and then a map of the world with its teleport points would open on which you could select the destination. But in order to do that, a map of your own island would have to be available first.
    The portal function as it works now could be changed so that you (adjustable) come out at a random portal or define one beforehand.

• Is the plugin supposed to be constantly updating every player's position in the server console? It seems to be causing the server to use a lot of CPU/RAM.

yes but this shouldn't use much processing power or ram, have you got the information showing the difference of before and after the plugin is used, ive looked on my computer and see no performance hit at all, or spike in cpu/ram usage

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Bump Another update

Added Name tags to the portals

Changed the cool down time from 10sec to 60sec to give the server time to load when jumping

My Own Website

31245-logo-png
  • Quote from Red_Baron
    Is the plugin supposed to be constantly updating every player's position in the server console? It seems to be causing the server to use a lot of CPU/RAM.

yes but this shouldn't use much processing power or ram, have you got the information showing the difference of before and after the plugin is used, ive looked on my computer and see no performance hit at all, or spike in cpu/ram usage

I'm not so concerned about the CPU/RAM usage, I'd be more concerned w/ SQL DB lockups AND additional network load on the server.

This will increase as more players are connected simultaneously, calls fighting for read/write via SQL express will occasionally lock the DB, sometimes indefinitely if under HEAVY load (preventing world saves). Your java DP plugin often does this when many are handling doors at the same time.

Suggestions:

Make player's position update ONLY when near a portal (e.g. 10x10 bock area) to reduce SQL / Network load on servers.

Easy portal customizations using in game dial menu (dif colors/animations, effects (including invisible), labels, from a creative/immersion/admin perspective).

Sound effect whilst teleporting and another only when standing close to portal for added immersion perhaps? Could also include a screen effect while 'warping'? :)

Thanks for working on this, yahgiggle

"The past is history, the future a mystery, but today is a gift, which is why we call it the Present."

• Juggernaut

The updates I've done addresses the database problem, also have already added sound effects and a choice of colours, the extra effect was something already on my mind, but first I need to add a portal control panel so admins can rename, delete or teleport to any portal, I like the panel customization idea, I'll look into that but after I get everything else done 👍

My Own Website

31245-logo-png

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!