Upcoming: Dungeons and Plugin API

• Also,I only play singleplayer.I dont care about creating a server. Am I still gonna be able to add 3D models into my world?

Yes, basically everything that's available in multiplayer is available in singleplayer as well. The same applies to the API ;)

Lastly,this locomotive model below is 2Mb and now I know it wont carry textures

This still looks like a high detail model.. Can you eventually provide a link to the model file? Then I can tell you more about it^^
    It really depends on what you want to do exactly. For example if the loc has 100,000 triangles, that's quite a lot (I'd say it's "too much"), however, if you just want to use it in singleplayer and place 5 locs in your world and that's it, you won't have any problems at all.
    One have to watch out to not exceed a certain triangle limit. Modern graphics cards can handle between 1 and 10 million triangles quite well.

How do I split the model into sections to add the texture in each one?

You have to do that in a 3D modelling program. For example 3D Studio Max, Cinema4D or Blender (which is available for free).

• Yes.All I want to do is add some traffic lights,dumpsters,containers,fire hydrants and some trains in different sections of the city for decoration.Same thing with trees,bushes.I dont worry about chopping them down or the animation aspect of it which it won't have.

• This still looks like a high detail model.. Can you eventually provide a link to the model file? Then I can tell you more about it^^It really depends on what you want to do exactly. For example if the loc has 100,000 triangles, that's quite a lot (I'd say it's "too much"), however, if you just want to use it in singleplayer and place 5 locs in your world and that's it, you won't have any problems at all.
    One have to watch out to not exceed a certain triangle limit. Modern graphics cards can handle between 1 and 10 million triangles quite well.

So If I understand correctly,the triangle limit is for the total amount of models added in the game and not per unit(each individual model added) . Earlier you mentioned that a maple tree has around 6200 something triangles.I play with viewing distance maxed out at 50,including detail distance at same.In my field of view,I can see at least 70-80 trees .Thats why I wonder how bad it could possibly be to add some of those models.Besides,I am not planning to overload chunks with tons of models in close spots but they will be spread out,several hundred blocks from each other so they wont render at the same time when all nearby chunks are loaded.

• Here is the link:

Thanks for the link. Actually the triangle count is not as bad as I thought, the loc just consists of ~10,000 triangles (which is absolutely fine for something like this). The model file itself (the .3ds file) btw. just has a size of 420 KB.
    This model uses proper UV mapping, with some adjustments it should be possible to just use 2 textures (i.e. split it into 2 submodels). If the interior doesn't matter for you, it would be sufficient to just use a single texture (i.e. you don't have to split the model at all) ;)

All I want to do is add some traffic lights,dumpsters,containers,fire hydrants and some trains in different sections of the city for decoration

Basically that's no problem. Especially smaller models (e.g. a fire hydrant) often just consist of 1 texture.

the triangle limit is for the total amount of models added in the game

It's just for the total amount of models that are visible simultaneously.

I can see at least 70-80 trees

Unfortunately you can't compare it directly... when trees are further away, just a simple tree model (consisting of just 8 triangles) is rendered. Those trees are also baked into the environment, so the tree and the ground are one single mesh. Eventually we can offer some sort of LOD control for models in the long run, but the first release of the API won't have something like this.
    Triangle count btw. is not the only factor that influences performance. More important is the amount of total objects that are visible. Having 1000 objects with just 10 triangles per object is much worse than having one single object with 10,000 triangles.

Thats why I wonder how bad it could possibly be

Well, in singleplayer it's not a big problem. It's always important to have an eye on triangles and total object count. The loc with 10,000 triangles is fine, if you place 10 of them at the same place (and maybe more locs 1 mile away) you don't run into any issues at all. But when having a houseplant consisting of 500,000 triangles, and you place 10 of them in your house, you will definitely see an impact on performance (always depends on your hardware ofc) ;)

• Thank you @red51 Since the plants are going to be static I'm going to wait for a bit because I want to add a cauldron, vases, candles, potpourri, roses, evergreens and so much more. I love nature and I was thinking spicing the game up with plants galore and all kinds of things you can use them for. Salves, potions, all things that smell good and feel good. Perhaps a quill and pen just for aesthetic. Till then take care and remember Red you're the man! :thumbsup:

• Had to skim some posts because it's like reading a foreign language, yet reading these API related discussions has me all excited for when we're able to mess with importing 3D Models which are entities. Things like creatures and such for when we can skip various game limitations to simply add in our own model, animation sets, and such. Can't wait for when we'll add in various non-anime & anime related entities to populate our world in a manner you'd do so with NPC Traders (on paper) that we'll be able ot do things. Even the middle ground of bringing in plants which behaves like trees, among other things. Being able to move, or assign default animations to the entities, as done in a Japanese R18 type game in the studio programs of various games. It be interesting.

I guess it be rough now, yet later down the line that could be smoothed out to be more 'user-friendly' for even novice modders, or whichever. There's just so much potential that we're all excited. That's the best feeling you could have from a game. :love:

• Btw Red,I will be using single texture for the models to see how everything behaves and comes alond and., I should be able to throw some posters on that model,for example a metal texture as engine air exhaust or a red stripe to make it look better.I am soo excited that I will probably become a master in Blender pretty soon lol.

• Btw Red,I will be using single texture for the models to see how everything behaves and comes alond and., I should be able to throw some posters on that model,for example a metal texture as engine air exhaust or a red stripe to make it look better.I am soo excited that I will probably become a master in Blender pretty soon lol.

No one masters Blender....lol. Just when you think your a pro they either add a new toy or you find a new add on. If anyone has anything they want help with making or made for them let me know and I'll see what I can do. Been working with Blender since 2001. (Models and UV Textures mostly) Really looking forward to other customization like animation in the future though.

• Thanks for the offer @Moderndaybardx.Yeah. I know I never will.I watched some tutorials yesterday and it has a tremendous amount of tools/options.Just expressed my excitement with a silly joke.Thats what I care for know.Models and UV Textures.
    Here is the thing.For a locomotive for example,I dont care for the interior as of now,so, Red recommended me to use a single texture.As I mentioned earlier,I can put a couple of posters around the model to make it more color detailed but would like at least the wheels/suspension to have a different texture.If the train is blue and the wheels/shocks are blue too,it will look silly.I wondered if I split the model in 2 submodels,how much it will affect the performance of the game when the is added.I guess I have to play with it and see the complexity of the process but due to the lack of knowledge in this subject, I dont want to crush the game or make my world not playable. 2 textures on 1 model, will that affect game performance a lot more than just one texture or the decrease is just minor to almost "invisible"?

• Hi, I was wondering if this update will also inclue physics for the water, seeing as there's going to be underwater ruins and the likes.

Cheers :)

Too soon. Way too soon. Too complex right now for anything dynamic that it would push any updates to December with not even minor updates between now, or December. Let's get dungeons out first so we can get 'Player models & animations' so we can then get boats & horses. I really need horses right now. The dynamic water you're seeking shall be about 2 years down the line with the way things are going.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!