Strange "flies" at (0, 0)

• Recently I have set up a public server, and have been building the spawn area, etc. For no particular reasons, I decided to set the world spawn to the "center" of the world coordinates, so at approximately (0, 100, 0).

Anyway, I noticed something interesting! There appears to be a cloud of flies... at least that's what they look like? Is this an Easter egg that occurs at this location in every world generation? (I guess I could load a single player world and check myself.) Screenshots attached.

A fun idea, I appreciated discovering it! I hope I'm not ruining it for too many people by posting. I have decided to leave a little room for the sacred flies in my build, lol.

• oh that's weird. i thought from the title maybe it was just a weirdly pollen-dense spot or ash particles from future volcanic region, but nope that's straight up bugs.

ich kann nur ein bisschen deutsch sprechen (mehr lesen). fur alles andere, es gibt google translate.

any blueprints i share are free to use however you want (aside from selling them obviously), but i would love to see what you do with them, and be sure to credit me when you share projects that involve my work.

Bitte verlinken Sie zurück zu meinen Blueprint-Threads (oder erwähnen Sie zumindest meinen Namen), wenn Sie Projekte hochladen, die meine Arbeit verwenden.

• Hehe, it could be considered a minor easter egg :D Back then when we were working on the demo, we've created the swarm of flies. Actually they were even in the demo world (a bit behind the starter cabin). We have some future plans to spawn them naturally in the world (either spawn them randomly, or at some points of interest [e.g. buried chests], or near dead bodies etc), but until then, we decided to spawn them at 0 0 (considering this is always in the middle of the ocean, so likely they shouldn't interfere with any buildings etc) ^^

• Hehe, it could be considered a minor easter egg :D Back then when we were working on the demo, we've created the swarm of flies. Actually they were even in the demo world (a bit behind the starter cabin). We have some future plans to spawn them naturally in the world (either spawn them randomly, or at some points of interest [e.g. buried chests], or near dead bodies etc), but until then, we decided to spawn them at 0 0 (considering this is always in the middle of the ocean, so likely they shouldn't interfere with any buildings etc) ^^

somewhat related question, is there a reason why the player doesn't spawn at 0,0, red? it seems logical to me that the center of the world would be the main spawn and i've always wondered about that. i think in ark the reason was that 0,0 sometimes got a little... weird?

ich kann nur ein bisschen deutsch sprechen (mehr lesen). fur alles andere, es gibt google translate.

any blueprints i share are free to use however you want (aside from selling them obviously), but i would love to see what you do with them, and be sure to credit me when you share projects that involve my work.

Bitte verlinken Sie zurück zu meinen Blueprint-Threads (oder erwähnen Sie zumindest meinen Namen), wenn Sie Projekte hochladen, die meine Arbeit verwenden.

• Because you would spawn in the middle of the ocean :D Like for real in the middle: 0,0 is the farthest away point from four islands in that region.

obviously (or i thought obviously), if the player spawn was there, so would the starter island...

• somewhat related question, is there a reason why the player doesn't spawn at 0,0, red? it seems logical to me that the center of the world would be the main spawn and i've always wondered about that. i think in ark the reason was that 0,0 sometimes got a little... weird?

0 0 is basically a perfectly fine location, but you don't spawn there due to the way how islands are distributed: the world is divided into sectors, and each sector has a size of 8192 blocks. There is a sector from 0 to 8192, another sector from 8192 to 16,384, there is also a sector from -8192 to 0 etc. Islands never spawn exactly at the edge of a sector (or more precisely, the edge of a sector is always ocean), that's why 0 0 (i.e. at the edge of a sector) is always ocean (so the player never spawns there) ^^

• 0 0 is basically a perfectly fine location, but you don't spawn there due to the way how islands are distributed: the world is divided into sectors, and each sector has a size of 8192 blocks. There is a sector from 0 to 8192, another sector from 8192 to 16,384, there is also a sector from -8192 to 0 etc. Islands never spawn exactly at the edge of a sector (or more precisely, the edge of a sector is always ocean), that's why 0 0 (i.e. at the edge of a sector) is always ocean (so the player never spawns there) ^^

aaah i getcha. grid system with landmasses in the center of squares, so the edge lines are always ocean.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!