Status Update: Objects, doors and a short video

• We have the same questions in the English forum, the German forum, in Steam. Red is so nice to answer again and again, but in the time he answers he cannot develop. We have no one who translates everything in the correct languages, but feel free to use Google translater ot whatever, and search if the expected answer takes a while. This is an amazing forum with very kind pepole who are willing to help and answer your questions. Feel free to ask if you have questions, but don't except that red has the time and team to answer every person immediately personally and at once. Therefore we, the forum members, try to help till he has time to answer the unanswered questions.

• My strange idea is that we can play (even if graphics are sacrificed, such as distance view, for fluid performance) on our phone, but edit our worlds both offline and online (using a cloud) ... I know it sounds difficult but serious viable for players, since building (even in creative mode) is time consuming, time that sometimes is left over when one is outside and it would be perfect to take your smartphone and know that you are making your world grow more without having to be connected to a computer.

Well, in fact a mobile version is basically feasible in the long run. It requires some changes, since the render pipeline we're using isn't compatible with mobile platforms, but it's definitely something we take into consideration ;)

I don’t mean to criticize or be rude, but I did not realize building wasn’t going to be available in the Demo until now...therefore, I am a little disappointed

I understand that, actually that's why we're focusing on getting the actual new version ready as soon as possible ;) But as mentioned in my previous post, if a feature isn't fleshed out or "polished" (at least to a certain degree), we cannot include it in the demo, since this could cause some confusion. If some very limited and unfinished building is in the demo, people might think this is already the "final state" and complain that building worked much better in the old version ||

• An idea just popped into my brain ... red51 For the demo, would it be possible that you include on top or at bottom of the screen a red text which is shown all the time, like "Walking simulator only, no crafting, beings or tools included yet but coming soon"? That way, people would be inable to misunderstand the demo as demo of the whole game itself???

Hope never dies, right? Maybe in future don't use the word "demo" anymore but "pre-alpha walking sim" ... lol, shortened to "PAWS" :P fits :D

I am aware that this on-screen text may irritate some players because it does not vanish, but like a German phrase states, "One death you have to die" :) Better die this death than a misleading interpretation of "demo".

• Don't know why people are fussing. Red is doing the best he can. He is trying to keep players happy but at the same time create the best possible version of the game he can, which is a good thing! I will patiently wait for the new version, & until it's ready, I'll keep on enjoying the old version. It's still a blast.

• I understand that, actually that's why we're focusing on getting the actual new version ready as soon as possible ;) But as mentioned in my previous post, if a feature isn't fleshed out or "polished" (at least to a certain degree), we cannot include it in the demo, since this could cause some confusion. If some very limited and unfinished building is in the demo, people might think this is already the "final state" and complain that building worked much better in the old version ||

I understand now! Thanks for clearing that up!

• For the demo, would it be possible that you include on top or at bottom of the screen a red text which is shown all the time, like "Walking simulator only, no crafting, beings or tools included yet but coming soon"?

Basically that would be possible, however, I'm not sure if this really helps :D The current Java version has this big "Press J to open your journal" banner on screen (which only goes away by pressing J), but there are apparently still some people out there who don't know there is actually a journal in the game :monocle:

• Basically that would be possible, however, I'm not sure if this really helps :D The current Java version has this big "Press J to open your journal" banner on screen (which only goes away by pressing J), but there are apparently still some people out there who don't know there is actually a journal in the game :monocle:

Das ist auch nicht unbedingt sehr auffällig gemacht. Könnte man visuell noch auffälliger machen;)

• We've updated our Trello roadmap and also added a new screenshot about painting objects. In short, the new version enables you to colour most objects (furniture, doors etc). This is done in multiple stages, so instead of just fully colouring an object, you can easily achieve a "worn-out" look: https://trello-attachments.s3.…01e02bad7/door_colors.gif

We've also started working on the new building tools. There will be some exciting improvements compared to the old version which makes building a lot easier (especially if you want to create rounded structures). We'll post a separate announcement about that soon ;)

• The paint feature is awesome, its a lot more in depth and looks like you put a lot of effort in to it, some games, you slap a coat of paint on and that's it, here, we we three options!, good job.. looking forward to coming back to RW,

• We've updated our Trello roadmap and also added a new screenshot about painting objects. In short, the new version enables you to colour most objects (furniture, doors etc). This is done in multiple stages, so instead of just fully colouring an object, you can easily achieve a "worn-out" look: https://trello-attachments.s3.…01e02bad7/door_colors.gif

We've also started working on the new building tools. There will be some exciting improvements compared to the old version which makes building a lot easier (especially if you want to create rounded structures). We'll post a separate announcement about that soon ;)

Like that there will be new building tools to what is already a very good system and some sort of improvement to creating circular structures, altho its easier enough to do ( in the Java version) it's just very time consuming

• Don't know why people are fussing. Red is doing the best he can. He is trying to keep players happy but at the same time create the best possible version of the game he can, which is a good thing! I will patiently wait for the new version, & until it's ready, I'll keep on enjoying the old version. It's still a blast.

Not everyone understands what software development is like and how much effort goes into designing then redesigning software or how much time can be consume trying to fix one problem. Like any good artist, Red is passionate about his work and also extremely detail-oriented. I'm looking forward to this tech demo.

I've been accumulating years of technical debt at my own job and deal with stress and disgust of having to waste my life continually supporting and patching legacy applications, seemingly held together with duct tape and wishes, when I'd rather build a replacement system). Nobody has the time to rewrite and our management would rather outsource such projects to cheap laborers overseas who aren't passionate about the problems we are trying to solve. There are advantage to small software companies who can get work done without overhead.

So I can appreciate the opportunity and potential of a complete rewrite and the technical debt that will eliminate and the new opportunities it will present which were not there before.

However I do question this attempt to attach doors to objects.. :(

• :D I am MOST excited about the painting aspect. I know!:crazy: It's the little things. And maybe resizeable everything! Wowee. :wow: And easier manipulation of building materials!

But on the other hand adding food spoilage, and crop farming issues will add a whole new dimension to the game aspect, and that is exciting too! I know that's "planned" and not done but it's something a lot of us have wanted.

Since you are also planning baking a cooking, and possibly quests—what would be super cool is to have a way for players to also input their own custom recipes using the ingredients at hand. Obviously you'd come up with the basics first, but allowing us to build on that and share them would be awesome. Ditto, quests or storylines, something we might either share (like blueprints) or set up to play our selves or in multi-player or co-op play. I can imagine something as simple as a scavenger hunt or treasure hunt that you write and then set up by hiding things players need to find, like a party game. (Now that we CAN place things in the world! Yay, Red!) Or you could even possibly set up a scenario where you have to fight off raiders (NPCs?).

I would "like" flowing water but it's not that important. It would be nice to have rivers between lakes/seas, but I can see where the different elevations would cause a problem. When you get to the terraforming perhaps just making some placeable water effects (animations) might be one way to do it. (Like Planet Zoo, which also doesn't have flowing water.)

I love the weather and the possibility of changing seasons, and I love how the snow builds up in a natural way. Footprints in the snow is a cool idea, and the sound effects improvements—good job. It's looking gorgeous.

I'm also thankful that you are being so transparent and sharing your Trello board with us, it's helping me keep the excitement and hope alive. (We need that right now!)

I am hoping that the demo when it comes will not overwrite the current version, so that I can keep playing, right? I want to say hurry, but take your time, but hurry! <3

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!