Update 0.2: Building Update

• Maybe I'm missing this, but is it no longer possible to resize the grid that items snap to? It would also be awesome if the grid could be rotated, radial, etc.

Green Valleys - PvE Survival - Land Claims/Portals/SetHome - discord.gg/EQ6a9mb

• The rotation precision button does not work for me

This is a bug, we're working on a hotfix for that :)

Maybe I'm missing this, but is it no longer possible to resize the grid that items snap to? It would also be awesome if the grid could be rotated, radial, etc.

You can still resize the grid with the + and - keys on the numpad. Alternatively you can change the key bindings in the settings (should be labeled "Plus" and "Minus").

Being able to rotate the grid would be a nice feature, we will think about that!

• Having a problem getting the new version. Have Dl`ed 2x, validated files, restarted steam but I keep getting the old one with no option...

Did you select the "unity - New Version Preview" beta branch in Steam (rightclick on RW in Steam -> Properties -> Betas)? Does RW also have a "[unity]" suffix in your Stea library?

It's also important to launch the game directly from the Steam library (do not launch it from the download section, for example), otherwise Steam does not bring up the option to select the desired version :dizzy:

• I'm actually happy with the way the building stuff goes. How detailed the wheel is (C key), how you can rotate the blocks, and etc. I have a few complaints, or worries.

1) The Debug Console seems highly intrusive. Is there any way to get rid of this on Steam version?

2) Can we have an option (or an easier way) to snap blocks and elements together? I tried using the F1 menu, was confused by it when it came to the whole snapping/merging of the blocks/elements. I forgot a lot with the F1 help section allowing me to make sense of things I used to know back in Java. But yeah, can we snap these elements like the scaffolding in java version? That be nice. I spent a good 20 minutes fiddling with grids, keys, and such.

I want to build a silly tunnel I can crouch through. I have to use blocks to then use these hollow cylinders. I love where this is going.

3) Would be nice to have a proper option/command to scale the blocks/elements upward as much as we can sideways, like with PNB. It just feels weird how its missing height scaling. It can be done, its however oddly clunky to do it.

---

Its making my computer howl with how demanding it is. I fear that once this computer fails that's it for me. I may have to bow out from this game. Until then, I love what I'm seeing. I love where Rising World is going.

------

Edit:

[Change] Cannot pickup locked doors anymore

I laughed. Now, if only you could make what is attached to the door just as secure.

• 1) The Debug Console seems highly intrusive. Is there any way to get rid of this on Steam version?

Yeah, actually the debug console is disabled by default, however, it was active in the original demo, and since new updates don't overwrite config files, it now shows up if you already played the demo in the past :/

But you can disable it by setting "Game_DebugConsole" in the config.properties file in the "_New Version" folder to "False" ;)

2) Can we have an option (or an easier way) to snap blocks and elements together? I tried using the F1 menu, was confused by it when it came to the whole snapping/merging of the blocks/elements. I forgot a lot with the F1 help section allowing me to make sense of things I used to know back in Java. But yeah, can we snap these elements like the scaffolding in java version? That be nice. I spent a good 20 minutes fiddling with grids, keys, and such.

You can snap them together by using the modular snapping (Return key). It may be confusing at first, but it is extremely powerful and allows you to created rounded structures in no time :)

3) Would be nice to have a proper option/command to scale the blocks/elements upward as much as we can sideways, like with PNB. It just feels weird how its missing height scaling. It can be done, its however oddly clunky to do it.

Upwards/Downwards sizing is done with the PageUp/PageDown keys. Basically it works in the same way as the arrow keys.

If you want proportional resize, you can use shift and +/- (on your numpad)

Its making my computer howl with how demanding it is

Maybe you could try to disable certain graphics effects. Especially "volumetric lights" and "screenspace reflections" are relatively expensive (and dispensable). Also the "detail view distance" is much more expensive than the overall view distance.

I laughed. Now, if only you could make what is attached to the door just as secure.

Hehe, well, for proper security in MP we still need some sort of meta protection, like area protection :nerd:

• You can snap them together by using the modular snapping (Return key). It may be confusing at first, but it is extremely powerful and allows you to created rounded structures in no time :)

Ah, how oblivious of me. That actually works wonders. Now I have another issue with the curved hollow cylinder not scaling properly for me. Probably a learning curve, or something. It just doesn't scale properly for me, though that just may be me.

Trouble with curved hollow cylinders. More of a learning experience for me. Awesome.

Can't seem to activate one of the axis points.

But you can disable it by setting "Game_DebugConsole" in the config.properties file in the "_New Version" folder to "False" ;)

Thank you :)

I'll fiddle with this when I'm more awake. I fell asleep briefly while watching ghost videos on Youtube.

Maybe you could try to disable certain graphics effects. Especially "volumetric lights" and "screenspace reflections" are relatively expensive (and dispensable). Also the "detail view distance" is much more expensive than the overall view distance.

Thanks again. Again, I'll try fiddling with these when I have more time and an more awake. May have to wait for Saturday, or something, for further testing.

Hehe, well, for proper security in MP we still need some sort of meta protection, like area protection :nerd:

Nice :D

--------

Well, I'll see about building things properly on Saturday then. Hopefully everything shall play fair. :nerd:

• This looks very very nice. I see that by setting rotation precision to 90 degrees I can get the same effect of rotating blocks. I'm not ready to move on to "planks and beams" which I guess don't exist anymore. I see however that you can save preset rotation and size configurations. May I suggest adding a default preset for the default plank and beam shape just for us simple builders? I'd also suggest additional block shapes like a half slab and 1/4 size block just for those of us who are rarely going to dig into the advanced mechanics of the game like in the Java version.

I noticed one bug.. When I enter creative mode and try to paint the ground, I select my material with the scroll wheel (despite it showing F1 in the material window). Left-clicking once places the material then resets the material back to the initial setting. It seems like it should stay set to what I selected.

Also I noticed in the material selection screen, the scroll wheel causes the screen to flash as its redreawn and scrolls incredibly slow. Basically one pixel per up or down movement of the scroll wheel.

• Not sure if its just me or if this is a very minor bug, but in the game menus clicking on the up or down arrows does not seem to do anything, nor does clicking and dragging the slider. Only scrolling, or touching the up and down arrows on the keys worked for me.

PS. Love the new textures, thanks for overdelivering with the numbers of new textures on release.

• Now I have another issue with the curved hollow cylinder not scaling properly for me

Oh, could you elabore on that? Basically you control the scale along the X, Y and Z axes with your arrow keys and page up/down.

Can't seem to activate one of the axis points.

Just look at a solid surface, e.g. the hollow cylinder you've already placed before (preferably look at the side you want to attach the new cylinder to) ;)

This looks very very nice. I see that by setting rotation precision to 90 degrees I can get the same effect of rotating blocks. I'm not ready to move on to "planks and beams" which I guess don't exist anymore

Thanks! :) Yes indeed. We've also enabled the grid by default, so it does feel a bit like building with "blocks" ^^ Maybe we could even set the default rotation precision to 90° :thinking:

May I suggest adding a default preset for the default plank and beam shape just for us simple builders?

Oh, you can at least set a default shape for all construction elements in the misc settings. There is a text field where you can enter the X, Y and Z scale, separated by whitespaces (e.g. "1.0 2.0 0.01"). Every new construction element then adapts to this size (and if you reset the scale [shift + backspace], it resets to this default size as well).

I'd also suggest additional block shapes like a half slab and 1/4 size block just for those of us who are rarely going to dig into the advanced mechanics of the game like in the Java version.

Mhh... not sure about that :thinking: Basically you could just set the scale precision to 0.5, then press shift + page-down once to get a half block. Or alternatively press shift + minus (numpad) to get a 1/4 size block. Of course that doesn't work if you change the default size, but in that case you could at least use the construction presets (which are accessible from the radial menu).

despite it showing F1 in the material window

Oops, will fix that :saint:

Left-clicking once places the material then resets the material back to the initial setting

Hmm... that's strange :wat: Unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce it, so it could be a specific issue on Linux... does it really change the material back to the initial setting, or does a left mouse click maybe invoke a ghost mouse wheel input for some reason (so every time you click, the next material is selected)?

Also I noticed in the material selection screen, the scroll wheel causes the screen to flash as its redreawn and scrolls incredibly slow. Basically one pixel per up or down movement of the scroll wheel.

Yeah, we've also experienced this issue on Linux. It's unfortunately a bug in Unity, more specifically in UI Toolkit... basically these issues did already exist in the demo (e.g. when scrolling in the settings), but it's much more blatant in the material selection (probably because it contains so many nested child elements). Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this at this point :( There are also some issues on Mac and Windows, but on Linux (at least on some distros), the UI is horribly broken. I just hope UI Toolkit works better once it's out of preview, but progress is slow (we're still waiting for a fix of another bug [which was reported 6 months ago] which causes lots of issues and forces us to do ugly workarounds)

The 2021.2 Unity version (where UI Toolkit goes out of preview according to Unity) is currently in Alpha and still has too many issues. A lot has changed there when it comes to UI Toolkit though, so maybe the Linux UI issues are finally sorted out. We will give it another try once the first 2021.2 Beta is available (which will probably happen in a few weeks).

Not sure if its just me or if this is a very minor bug, but in the game menus clicking on the up or down arrows does not seem to do anything, nor does clicking and dragging the slider. Only scrolling, or touching the up and down arrows on the keys worked for me.

It's unfortunately an issue in Unity (UI Toolkit). Sometimes the scroll bar works, sometimes it disappears etc :| Unfortunately it's out of our control, but according to Unity, UI Toolkit will go out of preview by the end of this year.

PS. Love the new textures, thanks for overdelivering with the numbers of new textures on release.

Hehe, thanks for the feedback on that, glad to hear you like them :)

• Wow! Deirdre posted some nice looking builds. I guess we'll see how far the real builders in this game can push this new stystem

red51 The scroll bar still works fine on the material screen. Regarding the creative mode painting issue, I was specifically putting grass material down. I'm paying closer attention now.

Ok, this is weird, i just reproduced the issue then exited the game and restarted and could not.

Correct behavior: selection shows selected material, click or hold LMB or RMB, material stays selected while mouse button down

Yesterday's observed bug: grass material selected, click RMB to place grass. Grass is placed then material changes after releasing mouse button

Today's observed bug: selection shows dirt material, click or hold LMB or RMB, material switches back to (i forget which one) while mouse button held down. Release mouse button and material returns to grass

After restart: Unable to reproduce above behavior

I guess it's a linux thing.

• red51 I think when you start the game Walk is as default and you cant sprint, i was a bit confused for the first 30mins because i thought that we cant actualy sprint, i had to press Left Alt to fix it after looking around in the Controls.

It seems like the Alt-key always keeps its "Pressed" state if you Alt+tab to the desktop. It's apparently a bug in Unitys new Input system, at least it has been reported there before :/ Pressing Alt once fixes the issue.

the weapon sound is well done it rly has some power in it now

Thanks, glad to hear you like the new sound :) waveshapr (who is responsible for our sounds and music) did an amazing job there!

Ok, this is weird, i just reproduced the issue then exited the game and restarted and could not.

Thanks for letting us know! This is really strange... but it really looks like an issue in Unitys new input system. We've observed ghost input before under certain circumstances, and only a reboot of the computer helps in these cases. Both UI Toolkit and the new input system are pretty broken, but UI Toolkit is at least still in preview (so some issues are to be expected). We're seriously considering switchting back to Unitys old Input system :angry:

• It seems like the Alt-key always keeps its "Pressed" state if you Alt+tab to the desktop. It's apparently a bug in Unitys new Input system, at least it has been reported there before :/ Pressing Alt once fixes the issue.

I see it was not something from default it was actualy Alt + Tab that forced the walk when pressing Alt, good to know thanks!

Really glad to see that you added aswell snow textures for the cut tress!

• red51 when do you plan on incorporating terrain modification like rake/sledgehammer/laying dirt/stone? Is that coming as a patch to the building update or with a later build like multiplayer or terrain generation?

Or does it already exist and I am just missing it?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!