Rising World Amazing Build System

• I've been fascinated by the truly impressive builds I've been seeing in this game. I can't compete with the incredible works some people have done, so I thought I'd just go simple and build a mining shack/storage room. My goal, however, was to see if I could build it the way I would do it in real life, give or take a keg of nails. The amazing build system in this game makes it all possible.

So, put down some concrete piers to support the floor joists. Then frame up the walls as best I can, followed by trusses for the roof. And lastly lay a roof and siding on it. The heck with paneling the inside. It's supposed to be a shack, right?

Fancy? Not hardly. Fun? You bet. ;)

I can't get enough of this game.

• Your piece of work is yet another example of not only how good the mechanics of the game are, but as well, how close to realistic a project looks once it's done. It makes me wonder how many graduated or aspiring architects there are out there who are playing Rising World and using it to create mock-ups of their designs. Good job, Harv. I love it.

• Thanks for the kind words, Darwin. :)

While doing that project I was already thinking along the lines you mention. In the past, when I wanted to lay out a floor plan and maybe whip up a 3D model that could be used for a walk-through, the software choices were few, expensive, and required a super computer to run on. Now, decades later, we have an affordable game which does all that, with realistic graphics and silk smooth performance on even lesser home computers or laptops. And the build mechanics are only a fraction of the whole game.

I wouldn't expect Red51 to spend the time to make it a real architectural tool, but as I was building, I did kinda wish there were at least some standard plank/beam cross-sections like 2x4, 4x6, etc. commonly used used in real house construction. I wouldn't mind being able to snap studs to 16-inch centers and other common spacings, either. Again, NOT a priority for development at this point. Maybe after the game is released and Red51 has time on his hands. :D

When/if that day comes, I would also love to be able to group objects (planks, beams) into structures, like trusses, door frames and so on, that could easily be replicated (if adequate materials are in the inventory). Dreaming is the easy part, writing the software is a whole 'nuther matter. ;)

• It would be cool to have a simplified set of beams that cannot be re-sized in width but can be adjusted in length or perhaps cut to a specific length. I think Red51 agreed a while ago to the need for measurement or cutting tools. I have some knowledge of how homes are constructed but I'd rather be able to select a 2"x4"x6' instead of eyeballing the size.

I have no clue what EU standards are for construction pieces but in the USA, the common sizes for lumber and planks are here. the nominal column on the left is what is of interest. In real life, there's variation in lumber sizes depending on how well they are cut and possibly the type of wood itself but this is a game afterall. :)

http://www.prowoodlumber.com/e…on-lumber-dimensions.aspx

• We're on the same page, Fox. And I don't particularly care about the difference between rough cut and finish cut sizes. I'd be happy as clam to have all rough cut sizes.

That chart is interesting to me, though, since I remember "finished" 2x4's used to be 1-5/8" x 3-5/8". Either times have changed or there are variations in final milling that I was not aware of. Maybe the lumber industry has found a way to cut costs. :/

And although the metric system is used by most of the world, it turns out that 50mm x 100m, sold in UK, is remarkably close to 2" x 4". (Ref: UK Lumber)

I'd be happy with either system in the game.

• When/if that day comes, I would also love to be able to group objects (planks, beams) into structures, like trusses, door frames and so on, that could easily be replicated (if adequate materials are in the inventory).

We are able to do this using blueprints.

Great post.

• I hear ya, Beam, but I see blueprints as an overkill/workaround for this, and blueprints are not always accessible on some servers. So I was thinking of something built into the crafting system itself, with the same placement mechanics as the planks and beams. Maybe craft prototype assemblies that could be placed in an inventory and when placed, can be duplicated along a path as planks and beams can now.

Just a wistful idea at this point. I'll have to ponder the details. 8|

• A nice standard wall added to the construction elements to be used the same way as the window frames with your standard 2X4 placed however far apart. I think it would be great for more modern buildings I have used the window frames to semi replicate the appearance but its a little off. Hope the next update after the player models is builder related but I think it might be survival.

Your shack looks very authentic

• Quote from Moderndaybardx

Your shack looks very authentic

Thanks for the comment. The building process itself felt very authentic itself, even without the "improvements" we're suggesting in this thread.

Pre-fab walls, window frames, trusses, etc. are an interesting concept, but I really wouldn't mind doing the pre-fab myself as long as I could replicate them later. I wouldn't want this type of building to become too easy.

Or would I? :rolleyes:

• Love this thread. I like to approach building more like a builder too. (Having never played Minecraft—and boy you can sure tell the difference!)

I like your stick-built building. The only thing I see wrong is balancing your 10 x10 post on top of a 4x4, and a door header!!! LOL. But hey, we can do that here. Pixels are weightless (so far!).

I like the "real world" physics of Mechanical Engineers, where if it isn't properly supported things fall down. (I can't play ME since I'm on a Mac, but I've watched it on YT.) That would add a challenge to RW!

:thumbsup:

• Quote from MommaT

The only thing I see wrong is balancing your 10 x10 post on top of a 4x4, and a door header!!!

I, too, like to build with at least some attention to real world physics as it pertains to structural integrity.

As far at that support post is concerned:

A. I was hoping you wouldn’t notice.
    B. The original design for that wall had the support post going all the way to the ground atop a large concrete pier. Unfortunately that would have required the doorway to be off-center, and I really didn’t like how that looked.
    C. What you really can’t tell from the pictures is that the door frame, including the header, is made from carbon fiber composites, with compression properties comparable to steel. The vertical members are, in fact, reinforced internally with steel rebar. What fools the eye is the wood veneer which was chosen to match the rest of the structure. Perhaps overkill for something that may eventually be covered with paneling, but like underwear, sometimes it’s just the right thing to do.
    D. Although the ambient weather conditions bring a fair amount of rain, the climate never produces snow. For that reason the pitch and weight of the roof is already more than necessary, and it's strength is adequate to allow a person to walk safely on it for repairs, if necessary. I know this for a fact because I spent time up there during the construction phase of the project.

Having said all that, I appreciate your comments, and as Deirdre points out, there are already others out there who may not think as much about structural integrity as we do. :thumbup:

• Deirdre points out, there are already others out there who may not think as much about structural integrity as we do

I wished a centimetrer and an angle for more accuracy. I look at the dimensions of a lift, prescribed height of railing and static of a roof. I'm always interested
    in more building features, I'm a builder, no survival artist, but fallings blocks would prevent us from flying islands. ^^

• In one of my games I made an area for water. But I didn't take in to consideration of having to go underground to get the water area in a blue print. So I started digging under my house and the water area. I spent several in game days digging before giving up and scrapping that save.

I noticed that with no support under the blocks while I was digging, they were showing lines in them like they were going to fall down from the weight.

• One thing I need to do is build more like Harv & Daboiye are able to build because you can do SO much more with planks and beams. We have 'Planks & Beams' plugin, yet if we can get Red51 to vanilla'ize that plugin then imagine what people could do in the long term without having to do 'restoration' projects for textures and such. I need to see people build the way they do so I can inspire from them, and build that way. I'm STILL stuck building the Minecraft way, gradually making my way into Rising World logic building that I'm seeing more detailing & rewarding pleasure coming out building the way Harv showed he has built. Even simple fences & ramps, as well as walls in buildings.

One thing I"m hoping for is that with this blueprint that Red51 has a built in system to show these showing no textures when we blueprint them into that 'one world ocean' world generation of a true Rising World map.

I had to curse at how these stupid things rotated, yet stumbled across 9 & 3 on the num pad were able to rotate the stupid things around upward & downward (what I was seeking), not spin them in a circle. I wanted up & down movement on these things to make a walkway ramp, and such, yet they kept spinning on me in a bowl manner frustrating me. When you change the orientation I should still be allowed to use up & down arrow keys to bring the stupid things up and down, not 9 & 3 for alternate orientation. I now however know how to use this so let's see how complex I can build now.

I thank both Harv & Daboiye for inspiring me on how to build more Rising World manner, and less Minecraft style. Even Joni, yet he's MIA too much. I'll try and make a build purely planks & beams the next time I gain a strong Rising World itch. I know my images aren't special, but it's the small things that adds up that make it special.

• I had to curse at how these stupid things rotated, yet stumbled across 9 & 3 on the num pad were able to rotate the stupid things around upward & downward (what I was seeking), not spin them in a circle. I wanted up & down movement on these things to make a walkway ramp, and such, yet they kept spinning on me in a bowl manner frustrating me. When you change the orientation I should still be allowed to use up & down arrow keys to bring the stupid things up and down, not 9 & 3 for alternate orientation. I now however know how to use this so let's see how complex I can build now.

use "rotation local" (in the console), then rotating becomes much easier in some cases, you can go back to the old system by "rotation legacy" afterwards.

But yes the planks/beams/logs with all textures as well as the woodplanktriangle should eventually be available through a crafting bench and not a plugin or (for admins) the console.

• Something that's difficult to do in Minecraft (yet doable), yet done more detailed is highly possible in Rising World. It's in a video that popped up, and in the video below. I learned something new today, something I can soon experiment with once we gain the new update to play around with.

It be interesting to play around with these, as well as those planks as supports in those stone foundations. Once Rising World gives us a proper Medieval age I bet we'll be actually copying & adapting from actual Medieval builds in both a role-playing manner, as well as an actual cost-effective way in survival manner. I want to try playing around with that whenever I gain that Rising World itch mixing both Minecraft style blocks with planks and beams. I may try a hybrid experimentation, plus those machicolations. Googling 'machicolations' alone gives you a lot to do in Rising World, and I love it. I'm still waiting on the next update to build a proper fort east side of my map where I took a route to found Brisko Village up north. Shall be sweet.

• Medieval buildings with half-timer-houses takes much much time than other buildings. The accuracy is not that important, but
    with a real half-timber-house you need woodbeams inside and outside. A modern building is built faster than a medieval one.
    The overhang floors result from the plot prices. I don't really like to build them, but I'm in the Middle Age fever at the moment.
    Have you built some interesing building? I really would like to see a few screenshots.
    The mix between blocks and beams saves time. In the meantime I'm building with beams, I don't like 0,5 m walls all around, and
    wooden buildings can be turned, which is an important factor for me.
    And I have to watch the video. It's easier to find information about houses than interieur. :)

• Yeah, I guess that's true that modern buildings are easier to build, or similar. It's been bugging me that I left my medieval experiment hanging that I tackled it again by redoing the second flooring, going smoothly until I had to fill in the curved corner pieces on the side. I should have been lazy making it purely pointed, yet it didn't pan out that way. I wish Rising World naturally had curved planks, something the 'PNB' plugin failed to deal with for me.... I had so many weird bugs, glitches and errors that I simply stopped playing. I even had the console command pop up when hitting right ctrl when it should actually be the '~' key, not right control... I even had what I put up in that curved section disappear on me when I loaded back in from the menu.....

It's nice I have a Medieval inspired building, something I'll touch up later, just that Rising World hated it the longer I kept going on with it. The game was patient with me up until I started trying to fill in the curves on the top side of the building....... It absolutely hated that..... It even ghosted my third scaffolding ramp that I had to F2 to pick up the 4th ramp heading downward....

The game hates me now & I'm now back to being agitated. I'll touch up the roofing edges later once I'm both patient & the game stops throwing nasty tantrums..... :(

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!