preview for upcomming update?

• Hey all,
    whe all know red said a couple of weeks back that he was going to release a preview of the next big update. But till now i didn't see any pics/movies/teasers anywhere.
    This leads me to 3 conclusions:
    the pessimistic option a: Red has serious issues with implementing some stuff for the update without breaking stuff already ingame. So he needs more time to finish it.
    the optimistic option b: Red is going to make this update so big that he took his time to make everything right. He will include player gear/new models/animals/building mechanic updates/lots off furniture/improved draw distance/new biomes/updated world rendering/...
    the realistic option c: Red had taken to mutch hay on his fork and needs more time to finish it all. Maybe even delay some features.

With that out of my mind, anyone has info when the preview will take place? Tought that the E3 show was the perfect timeframe to leak some images, and also right before the steam summer sales so i could boost sales.

• The last update was exactly two months ago tomorrow, the time period between updates varies but for an update the size of player models with all the crafting stations to make the new items I would expect no less than three months.

Though as the steam sale is coming up (most likely on Thursday or Friday this week) a small update or an image preview would give a good incentive to people to buy Rising World in the sale :D

• The update is supposed to be huge and there are lots of things that have to all work together so probably a little of a, b, and c and probably the occasional e.

Red is very detail oriented and likes to make things as close to perfect as he can. Any outstanding bugs are not game breakers. He stomps those quickly. This update is supposed to replace player models, most of the game tools and weapons, crafting stations too from what I hear, and add lots of new stuff (ranged weapons for one). This will open the door to NPCs and monsterd and who knows what else. So much of the new modeled items I hear were designed with new animations for the new player models so they would not look very good with the current ones (Red likes his updates to be polished) which are kinda becoming an eyesore considering how nicer the newer crafting stations look. I think the goal was to eventually replace all the old modeled stuff with better looking stuff. So goodbye pizza oven smelter? Who knows.

BTW I'm suspecting that this is going to turn into a two or three part update (kinda like the dungeons). I've been told that most likely rideable horses and camels will not be in the first update. The NPCs ( merchants, raiders, hermits, and such) will no doubt follow this first one.

The E3 is over now, right? It would have made sense to leak something ahead of that but I suppose that if he missed that opportunity that there the upcoming Steam Summer sale. It certainly would be a perfect opportunity now especially considering how dated the trailer is beginning to look.

Gotta be patient. The team is small but the workmanship is excellent. BTW, Red51 is a he (atleast I havent learned otherwise). :D

• There will be a preview in the next days :)

There are indeed some aspects which slow down development of this update: on the one hand, it's going to be a huge update, it contains lots of new items, clothes, new animations and new mechanisms. Some parts of the game need to be reworked for the new stuff, e.g. while the game previously just used some basic animations for first person view, we now have to go much more into detail to cover all the different and individual animations now. On the other hand, there are a lot of existing items which need to be updated now (again, especially the first person animations are a lot of work), in fact this takes longer than adding new ones :whistling:
    Last but not least the previous update kept us quite busy (last hotfix was on 6th of May, so we weren't really able to focus on the player models before)...

I'm thinking about splitting this update into several parts, this would make some parts available earlier, and also bugfixing would be easier ;) It's always a pity if updates take "too long", especially since this also holds back other changes and bugfixes that were done in the meantime, but in this case I'm sure that the result will be worth it.

There are also some other preparations going on, i.e. things which eagerly wait for the new models/items/animations (e.g. a full rework of the crafting recipes), but that's a different story ^^

• The last update was exactly two months ago tomorrow, the time period between updates varies but for an update the size of player models with all the crafting stations to make the new items I would expect no less than three months.

Though as the steam sale is coming up (most likely on Thursday or Friday this week) a small update or an image preview would give a good incentive to people to buy Rising World in the sale :D

Gotta quote you because of that opportunity to get something out for the Steam sale coming up soonish, something Red51 seems to want to do by saying "few days" type thing. I hope it's in the next few days because I'm figuratively dying here for something. Needing something fresh for motivation.

I'm thinking about splitting this update into several parts, this would make some parts available earlier, and also bugfixing would be easier It's always a pity if updates take "too long", especially since this also holds back other changes and bugfixes that were done in the meantime, but in this case I'm sure that the result will be worth it.

Makes sense. Would explain why horses & camels are in the update after, yet from what was mentioned I'd at least get the NPCs in the creative form eh? Being able to size them and customize them to gauge what's possible, and what's not. To see what plugins could happen, and which can't on the level of exporting exterior clothing sets into the game via plugins, or however it works. Their function side (digging & bodyguarding) of things though, that be much later down the line with the hostiles from what's being noted. I'm fine with that, yet just something to stop me from being restless would be nice.

Well, I can't wait to be blown away by the preview images, as well as the clothing types we'll get. Oh, I need to quench this curiousity so bad that it's just making me truly restless.

• This sounds like it will be a truly pivotal release (or series of releases) for the game. It feels like up to this point it's all been about laying the foundational groundwork for what we're about to see.

From the servers I've been playing on, and the community in general, I gather that I have not been the only one holding my breath in anticipation of the "real" game. And the fact that so many of us have been enjoying it as it is, with the existing features, is a testament to the future success of the project.

Having said all that, I think that we have learned that there will probably be more bumps in the road along the way, but we are happy to be a part of the process. :thumbup:

Thank you, Red51.

• There will be a preview in the next days :)

I'm thinking about splitting this update into several parts, this would make some parts available earlier, and also bugfixing would be easier ;) It's always a pity if updates take "too long", especially since this also holds back other changes and bugfixes that were done in the meantime, but in this case I'm sure that the result will be worth it.

I would find it ok if the update comes in two or three parts, degree if it is easier for you because of the bugfix.
    We are all looking forward to it :thumbup:

• "Leaking updates" can end up biting you in the behind, especially in cons such as E3. While it is true that many teasers can serve a game well, they can also bring down a lot of heat on developers if the updates are delayed for ANY reason whatsoever.
    Two recent games I had high hopes for were damaged fatally by a combination of delayed updates because of internal company changes, impatient players demands, and finally trolls. That was Landmarkthegame and EQN. There have been more. Games like Pantheon and StarCitizen are following the close to the chest pattern of old, and I am very much watching them. It does not seem to be hurting either of them.

I came into gaming in 1999 when I was introduced to Everquest. EQ was the basic game fantasy mmolrpg standard used for developing games such as WoW and Lotro. At that time period, these games took approx. 3 years in development and went into alpha/beta in the forth year, launched in the fifth. We were used to this time needed to dev. a game.

Experienced players were invited into these game to test them and signed an NDA, which if they violated it, got them banned. There were no leaks of internal details. The web sites went up when they went into alpha and were not open to comment, just basic news.

Changing these standards has not done the gaming world any good turns. Too many developers have given up in frustration after constant bombardment by inexperienced players, and the trolls, as they watch their game being trashed before its even launched.

I personally love that Red is playing it close to the chest, releasing small amounts of information, and building a beautiful, most bug free alpha gaming world I've had the pleasure to play on. Not only do we have the world itself, but the choice of different multi-player and personal choice single player worlds to experiment with. The building system is genius. The community great.

That said, I can't wait to see the character updates, the armor, the crafting station changes, and mounts. I can't wait, but I will :rolleyes:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!