Status Update: Items, Weather and a Survey

• Hi folks! It's time for a new status update, but first we want to ask you for some feedback about Rising World and the upcoming version. We've set up a small survey and it would be awesome if you can give us some feedback - this will help us to focus on the features that are most desired. You can find the survey here: https://forms.gle/MdifGvidirQ3FRQL7

But now let's talk about the status update: The last weeks we've been working on terrain modifications (i.e. the ability to dig holes), added some first items (including proper item and inventory handling) and also implemented a few weather effects.

Compared to the Java version, we will see some exciting improvements in these areas. Speaking of items: We're currently working on the ability to place items (like tools and weapons) persistently in the world. This means you can place your pickaxe anywhere and it won't despawn. Of course you can still store your stuff in chests, but being able to place your tools on a table or put them on a shelf greatly contributes to immersion.

items1.jpg

We're also reworking all objects (like furniture, doors etc). There is still a lot of work to do, but the new objects look so much better than the old ones. Here is an early image of the new torch and torch mount:

torches.jpg

When it comes to weather effects, snow will now be a separate weather effect. This means you can enable snow even in temperate biomes, at least via command. We're thinking about having snowfall to occur naturally from time to time (covering your world in snow), this feature could then turn into actual seasons in the long run. Please let us know what you're thinking about that.

snow2.jpg

Last but not least we did some preparation for a new, much more powerful RCON tool and we've also integrated permissions for multiplayer, similar to our old implementation in Java. Main difference is that we're using JSON now instead of YAML, however, the new RCON tool will feature a permission editor so you don't have to edit permission files manually anymore.

As always, you can follow our development on Trello: https://trello.com/b/t5Leypcj/rising-world-development

Stay tuned, and more importantly, stay healthy!

• Gimme!

I think the progress is very exciting.

In the survey you had a PvP segment and I wanted toss my 2cents in.

I think some PvP can be fun and add a level to the game overall but pleeease dont include building destruction like ARK for example, where you put hours into a building project, go offline, and come back to find a smoking hole where your home once stood.

• Wow this is amazing you are doing a great job I can't wait for full game i just can imagine how cool it's going look like the shadows and textures are looking amazing and weather is great to have seasons in a future would be good : D similar like Subsistance where lakes will freeze over and you can walk on ice: D 

Doing a great job : thumbup: and keep safe :)

• Survey filled.

Love the mention of how items shall be active in the world without despawning. Would work well with tools and such which shall be nice. Imagine this in VR where you can set up hooks to place them on walls. As others noted elsewhere having everything places outdoors may cause lag, though the benefits here outway the cons in certain ways. Sometimes you just gotta let things go.

Survey wise I can't wait for trains, boats, vehicles, and even NPC Companions (pets & humans). A world like that shall require you to have NPC buddies on animal & human side of things in both singleplayer & multiplayer side of the coin.

Weather wise I'm happy hearing the news weather shall be expandable to other biomes. I would love to see it occassionally snow (even a full on snowstorm) to see things covered. Hope to see it also equally melt as time goes on. Shall be a fun mechanic. Hope freezing rain, ice pellets, hail, and other weather variations shall find their way into the game. Freezing rain can make for highly gorgeous views when the sun hits the scenery the right way. Seen it before, though haven't taken images. 8)

Everything looks shiny, warm, and inviting in your images. I love it. Curious about the demo wanting to just play it. Keep up the good work Red51. You're genuinely doing awesome. :monocle:

• survey filled

I log in almost everyday waiting to see something about the new version and every time I see something I get more and more excited by what you guys are doing with this great game, love the idea for active items in the world (we have all built a hammer / rake / ext and placed it somewhere) but as long as this can be limited for each player as I can see some players just spamming that option and leaving stuff everywhere and slowing down severs ( maybe that can be done in options / server settings?).

The hype train is rolling faster and faster:D:D:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• It looks AMAZING!!! I'm so excited!

I have some questions about your survey, if you can answer them. I had a hard time answering a few of them because I'm not sure what exactly these things mean for Rising World- I wrote about it a little in my submission, but will ask here.

Fantasy Vs Realism... Is this referring to the aesthetics in the game, like having a car (realism) vs having a dragon (fantasy)?, or is it more mechanical realism, like hyper-realistic crafting? Thematically I prefer Fantasy, but it can also be low-fantasy (closer to realism). I always picture Rising World as a medieval, low-fantasy type game- basically, on the opposite of the spectrum from something wacky and high-fantasy like World of Warcraft. Mechanical realism is usually never a good idea if it makes things way too close to real life and things become annoyingly complex and tedious. Of course I could never say no to fantasy creatures like dragons and griffons, though... (Or maybe original creatures, even?)

Magic... I also had trouble answering this question. While I don't know how I feel about having combat magic, I think you could add something that is technically "magic" like alchemy, enchanting, transmutation etc. Of course there are always creative ways to make combat magic, but I think just having magic crafting would fit in better- You could even have an alchemy station that fits in with the "hands-on" crafting that already exists in the game- For example, grinding herbs in a mortar and pestle. Take a look at the alchemy in Kingdom Come: Deliverance- the work station is very immersive, and that's something I can totally see working in Rising World. Having to discover new recipes, and then recording them in a book at the station like in KC:D would be awesome. This would also give more purpose to farming, and room for even more cool crops! I think adding something like Skyrim magic, like shooting fireballs and ice spikes from your hands, might seem jarring- but I secretly hope I'm wrong, because it would be kinda cool.

Also I second what Fizbit said about PvP. I don't mind fighting other players, but I hate having my hard work destroyed just because someone felt like being an asshole. :'( I know everyone's preferences are different though, so it would be ok with me if base destruction and PvP exists, as long as we can opt out of it.

• This looks great Red! I stepped away from the game again because I'm getting anxious for the beta. I know we'll get new worlds and a there was some talk early on about our projects not being able to be ported over. Kind of bummed me out to be honest. I've been keeping an eye on the Trello board but missed this, looks amazing so far! Keep up the amazing work :) Very much looking forward to playing the new version. Just the concept of seasons and hostile mobs possibly on the surface makes this even more fun. Really hoping for some electricity down the road but first let's get this beta a test run <3:love: See yeah later!

• Thank you so much for your feedback! :)

Hope to see it also equally melt as time goes on. Shall be a fun mechanic

Sure, you will be able to test the weather effects (at least rain and snow) in the upcoming demo btw, at least via command ;)

but as long as this can be limited for each player as I can see some players just spamming that option and leaving stuff everywhere and slowing down severs ( maybe that can be done in options / server settings?).

We will definitely keep a close eye on performance. Placing thousands of items in the world will have an impact on performance for sure, especially when placing them in close proximity to each other. But on the one hand, server admins can disable this feature (or just enable it for certain players, depending on their permissions), on the other hand, players will be able to change the view distance for items (in most situations it's sufficient to have a rather low view distance for items, due to their small size).

But apart from that, only items that were explicitly placed in the world will be considered persistent. So if a player simply throws away some stuff, it will despawn (otherwise servers will literally sink in garbage over time) ^^

Fantasy Vs Realism... Is this referring to the aesthetics in the game, like having a car (realism) vs having a dragon (fantasy)?, or is it more mechanical realism, like hyper-realistic crafting? Thematically I prefer Fantasy, but it can also be low-fantasy (closer to realism)

Well, this is really just a general survey without going too much into detail. We just want to find out if our playerbase rather prefers realism or fantasy in general. The game will certainly always have stuff that could be considered as realism (cars, trains etc) and things that would be considered fantasy (monsters etc). Probably Rising World will neither turn into a hyper-realistic game (that would certainly kill the fun) nor into a pure fantasy game. However, we will probably set up more surveys in the future which will certainly go more into detail.

Also I second what Fizbit said about PvP. I don't mind fighting other players, but I hate having my hard work destroyed just because someone felt like being an asshole

I guess Rising World isn't really suitable as a pure PvP game (like Rust), although fighting other players *can* still be fun (depending on the main focus of the server). It's up to the server admins whether they want to enable PvP on their server or not. While PvP will still be possible in RW (just like it's already possible in the current Java version), this survey helps us to find out if we should focus on polishing the PvP mechanics^^

My only concern is using JSON for config files. JSON5 seems like a new standard and more ideal for personal-use config files wheras regular JSON is used for large-scale messaging between nodes.

Oh, we will only use JSON for permission files. The regular config file will still be a basic properties file, just like in the current version. The main reason for using JSON for permissions is that it can be easily parsed by the RCON tool. Since the RCON tool will have an easy-to-use permission editor, I guess most people won't change the permission files manually ^^

I am sorry, but I forgot to mention in my suggestions to have a "Blueprint Texture Editor"

We will definitely keep that in mind :) We haven't started working on blueprints yet, but I agree it would be helpful to have more controls over blueprints in general.

I know we'll get new worlds and a there was some talk early on about our projects not being able to be ported over. Kind of bummed me out to be honest.

It's true that old worlds will no longer be compatible with the new version, but old blueprints will still be supported. This means you can blueprint your buildings in the old world and move them to the new version ;)

• Its looking awesome!

I would love to see player-owned vendors that they have to stock with items for sell/buy so that there is more of an economy, especially as cooking/baking and other items are added. That way players could role-play more, such as create a village where one player owns a bakery, another a blacksmith, etc.

I would also love to see a native land claim system similar to yahgiggle's WorldProtection plugin that allows players to claim chunks of land for protection without needing an admin. I'm worried about if the plugin will be compatible with the new game version since it is integral to the functioning of my server.

Green Valleys - PvE Survival - Land Claims/Portals/SetHome - discord.gg/EQ6a9mb

• Great Job, Red51 and team! Placeable items will so much add to the enjoyment of this game :D

Im so curious to try the pre-version and even more to finally start playing in the real new version. My mind is humming with ideas what to do. One very important point (for me) is electricity or in general mechanics.

How do you want to design that? Will we be able like in Minecraft with Redstone to build our own curcuits, animate certain constructions, etc.? Like automatic doors, elevators (pater noster?), secret doors, etc.?

• Hi red51 Survey is done and I also added a suggestion :D Just in case you won't be able to see it I'm adding one in here as well :P

Maybe add more decorative items like rose bushes and ivy that we could decorate gardens and buildings. As for adventure you could add treasure maps that we could find in the world or get from bandits like different pieces of map and then make full map out of them that would shows coordinates where is a treasure, as for treasure it self it could be something special that we can't craft like swards other weapons and special outfits, that way if we want get the items we need to go and look for it similar to Medieval Engineers game. Also you could use peoples blueprints and integrate them in the world as points of interest that we could discover (like castle or house - shack or even ships in a port or sunken ones) and make our own and start building in the area, there are so many amazing buildings that you could use if possible :D That definitely would make exploration much more important.

For building aspect you could add more shapes to blocks ( on one side the texture and on the other shapes to choose) like Empyrion Galactic game that has so many different shapes to choose from, that way it would make buildings less blocky but smoother transition.

I know its alot to add in a game in a beginning but if all of this will be possible in a future when its full realise that would be awesome. :D Keep up a good work!!

• This new verison of the game is gona be really nice to play... i just cant wait to get my hands on it!

red51 in the survey by monsters you mean Skeletons? or monsters in general?

First of all i want to mention this, if is possible weapons should be random given to every enemy in the game, they should also use clothes specific to that biome, this will add an extra variety to the game aswell.

Bandits... I will like to see them like in the original game but with more variety of them and jobs.

Patrols - Common, similar to the original where those bandits are just patrols and walking around.

Camp Stationary - Rare, bandits that will be found in a camp that will protect some loot and a boss bandit maybe?

Cannibals... Similar to the bandits, but you will find them in some specific biomes like jungles.

Skeletons... Similar to the original where you find them in tombs or temples but with a more variety of them, only bones, bones and flesh, bone and riped clothes, bone and flesh and riped clothes... you get the point.

Vampires and Werewolf, really rare to find... making silver bulets or arow heads from silver to be able to kill them and such.

For animals monsters i can list a ton of them like, big bats for caves, spiders too... for jungle like big snakes like anacondas for some rivers crocodiles and so on... i like the world to be dangerous but also fun to explore.

And all of those should be like in the original game, if you dont want a specific thing you should be able to not use it on your map by just presing 1 click.

• I would love to see player-owned vendors that they have to stock with items for sell/buy so that there is more of an economy, especially as cooking/baking and other items are added. That way players could role-play more, such as create a village where one player owns a bakery, another a blacksmith, etc.

I'd definitely encourage that :) Both the API and the permissions will help in order to set up actual roles or jobs. On the one hand, permissions can be used to prevent some players from crafting certain items (so only a blacksmith could make a sword, for example), on the other hand, the API provides much more control about these things.

I would also love to see a native land claim system similar to yahgiggle's WorldProtection plugin that allows players to claim chunks of land for protection without needing an admin. I'm worried about if the plugin will be compatible with the new game version since it is integral to the functioning of my server.

It's our intention to add a basic protection mechanism to the core game.

How do you want to design that? Will we be able like in Minecraft with Redstone to build our own curcuits, animate certain constructions, etc.? Like automatic doors, elevators (pater noster?), secret doors, etc.?

We have a lot of plans for electricity :D It's our intention to add various sensors and programmable logic controllers.

Electricity can be used to control all electric components in the game (automatic doors, modern furnaces, lights etc). We didn't add many of these objects in the past due to the fact that electricity was still missing.

Elevators are also planned, but we have no plans for a paternoster lift for the time being (although maybe one could "fake" one, not sure about that yet).

Being able to move construction elements (planks, beams, blocks etc) is a bit tricky though. We will think about a solution for that...

Maybe add more decorative items like rose bushes and ivy that we could decorate gardens and buildings.

It's definitely our intention to add more decorative items to the game :)

As for adventure you could add treasure maps that we could find in the world or get from bandits like different pieces of map and then make full map out of them that would shows coordinates where is a treasure, as for treasure it self it could be something special that we can't craft like swards other weapons and special outfits

We've been thinking about treasure maps in the past, and it would certainly be a great thing to find hidden treasures occasionally. It's something we will definitely keep in our minds.

For building aspect you could add more shapes to blocks ( on one side the texture and on the other shapes to choose)

More block shapes are in the works ^^

red51 in the survey by monsters you mean Skeletons? or monsters in general?

Basically we were referring to monsters in general (but of course this also includes skeletons) ;)

And all of those should be like in the original game, if you dont want a specific thing you should be able to not use it on your map by just presing 1 click.

Oh yes, as always, any NPC can be manually turned off^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Create a new account now and be part of our community!